Old 31-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Movie - Interstellar

New movie by Christopher Nolan aka Batman fame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWhVkztwYqA
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Great! A new movie to add to my list of space movies.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Trailer looks pretty cool.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 PM
beren

Anyone go out today and see this new film ? Surprised no one has mentioned anything about it for a while. Hopefully it will be good planning to see it over the weekend.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 AM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beren View Post
Anyone go out today and see this new film ? Surprised no one has mentioned anything about it for a while. Hopefully it will be good planning to see it over the weekend.
Going see it Friday night.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:52 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

18:30 Friday, Tickets in hand.
Reviews have been very good.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:56 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Seen it on the big screen last night. Got my hopes high. Well, entertainment value nill. I'm sure though it may appeal to the scientific community but as far as I'm concerned I tend to go to the movie to relax and be entertained. If I ever wanted to read a book on blackholes , relativity, time dilation I'd do just that.

Gardians of the Galaxy:
docking sequence 3s + 15 min of shooting people. Now were' talking

Interstellar:
Docking sequence 10min + ... .... ..-.. --..-..-- ?!

I'm clearly not the target audience. I had more fun listening to a raccoon talking to a tree I'm sure there are people who will love it though.
The more scientific type will chime in I'm sure.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

plan on seeing it tonight. fingers crossed it's good.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:12 AM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Just got in from seeing Interstellar tonight and I thought it was well done. Went and saw it at an Extreme Screen and the sound affects were amazing.

Like all Sci-Fi movies, I suspend my belief system and just enjoy the ride. I liked it, but then, I like most movies. It is entertainment, after all.

Cheers Peter
Old 08-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Quote:
Like all Sci-Fi movies, I suspend my belief system
Except for 2001/2010 - that is why I love those movies so much. Hard Sci-Fi.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:34 PM
glend (Glen)

With that Hollywood A-list cast I won't be seeing it, the best sci-fi movies do not use big stars. I agree that 2001 Space Odessey was my all time favorite but I like what Ridley Scott did with the original Alien. I like the attention to detail in both 2001 and Alien. I find myself constantly annoyed by inplausible events like those in Gravity - what a turkey.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:58 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Epic....I'll have to see it again, and buy the BluRay later.
There is a story, the connection between the father and daughter and the argument around survival of the species.
The visualisations are quite stunning and in my mind within the realms of possibility for the most part. After all we don't know how it all works yet and there are more surprises out there than we can imagine.
For a three hour film we and the rest of the theatre goers sat mesmerised and silent. There are lots of moments of realisation about the consequences of wormhole, black hole effects on time and gravity.
It was summed up for me by another guy, a stranger who looked at me as we walked out and said, "Well, THAT was intense !"
I had to agree. As I said I need to see it again.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:07 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Enjoyed it, was a good sci fi hopefully it spawns more. Great visuals and music to match. Great acting, storyline was stronger than most sci fis you see these days but I did pick what was going to happen very early on. May see it again at the movies.
Old 14-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

I watched the movie tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't a gadget movie, and it wasn't a western in space suits. It had moral dilemmas, space-time dilemmas, love, great special effects that didn't look out of place, and a fist fight

It certainly is a demanding movie to watch, not light entertainment with punch lines in every dialog and comic relief after every dramatic scene. I thought the science was portrayed well, although subsequent re-watches may reveal errors in detail that I've missed the first time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
It was summed up for me by another guy, a stranger who looked at me as we walked out and said, "Well, THAT was intense !"
It sure was!

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 14-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Saw a midnight screening at Imax (whoa) last fri night. Initially thought I was reliving an episode of the Big Bang Theory as I was with 4 other IT geeks, but quickly settled in an LOVED the movie!

McConaghy has come leaps & bounds as an actor, ever since Dallas Buyers Club he's awesome. Hathaway is well, just eye candy but not a deal breaker and Damon plays an interesting character well.

Loved the robots, loved the score and the visual FX. Thought the human drama was a bit fluffy but overall 9/10. The movie certainly tips it's hat to 2001 in several scenes - (well it's really a reboot of the original, Hollywood style) - with no stone unturned and you're held by the hand and led all the way through to the end. Some clever concepts and decent hard science for once in a Sci-fi movie, more Sci than Fi anyway.

... And I want to see it again!

Andy
Old 15-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Christopher Nolan is getting better and better and this movie was his best yet. Sure it has plot holes and the last third seems rushed to put everything together but its still so so good.

The score is epic but that's what you would expect from Zimmer.

10/10 for me given its pushing the boundaries of sci-fi genre and is a must buy on blu-ray for me
Old 16-11-2014, 06:47 PM
wulfgar

Entertaining film and certainly worth a viewing. But utterly ridiculous. They land and take off from 1G planets in a shuttle like space ship with an on board supply of fuel. Yet the same spaceship required a multi stage launch from earth to reach orbit.
They suffer relativistic time dilation on a relatively normal planet which could only occur close to the event horizon of the black hole.
Hero in spacesuit alone survives journey through a black hole and creates a time paradox.

Stunning visuals of space flight but scientifically and dramatically lame. A forgettable film.
Old 16-11-2014, 07:19 PM
hobbit

Saw it tonight. Loved TARS and CASE but there were a couple of times in the movie where the score completely overpowered the actors to the point that i couldn't understand what they were saying.

And yes there are scientific inaccuracies but I'm really not caring about them. I go to movies to enjoy them and enjoy this one I did.

Last edited by hobbit; 17-11-2014 at 06:50 AM. Reason: spelling.
Old 17-11-2014, 05:18 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
Saw it tonight. Loved TARS and CASE but there were a couple of times in the movie where the score completely overpowered the actors to the point that i could understand what they were saying.

And yes there are scientific inaccuracies but I'm really not caring about them. I go to movies to enjoy them and enjoy this one I did.
I assume you meant to say 'could not understand' and I agree. Way too much musical dramatisation when you really needed to hear what was going on.

Agree with your second para too. Inaccurate or not at least the movie made you think. I enjoyed the twists it had.
Old 17-11-2014, 01:32 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

OK, so now we know, it was on purpose. Or may be the sound editor got it wrong and nobody wants to admiit it

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=11359741