Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Well, Australian manufacture and Australian enterprise is alive in my world today. My brand new astronomy website has gone live today
Old 13-11-2014, 11:55 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaa_ian View Post
Well, Australian manufacture and Australian enterprise is alive in my world today. My brand new astronomy website has gone live today
Good luck with the venture, Ian!
Old 13-11-2014, 12:40 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Thanks Rick, my aim is to keep it simple for the entry level person on a budget, and some high quality upgrades. With only quality, tested products. My Range will grow, as I review more products & as demand for those products grows.
Old 13-11-2014, 01:04 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaa_ian View Post
Hi Ian,

A quick heads-up.

The site's "About Us" page is still at the default and requires editing. (see attached image below).

The customer-service page also is at the default latin gobbledygook.

Best regards

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (About Us - Internet Explorer_2014-11-13_13-00-58.jpg)
192.2 KB11 views
Old 13-11-2014, 03:10 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Thanks Gary, Much appreciated !
My Web Developer is still working on the site (getting all the freight sorted) so I will get that fixed up quick smart.
Old 13-11-2014, 04:11 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
So ROM are you saying it is the childrens fault or the education system.
The "fault" lies with society as a whole.

I am a teacher, old school for the record.

When we live in a society that tolerates the rubbish we call leadership, pumps our kids with crap food, crap "entertainment" and crap attitudes; idolizes the stupid, and the trivial, we end up with the mess we have.

Our "heroes" are sports types with a minimal of brain function and anything that requires full consciousness and consecutive thoughts is ignored or attacked.

Best teacher in the world cant fight that tidal wave and kids take the easy route out; "I have a learning difficulty; give me a pension"....

I still cant fathom how anyone could be stupid enough to vote for Abbott and his tribe of denialist fools, LET ALONE Lamby

Gawd save us!!
Old 13-11-2014, 07:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yes ROM I think our society is of concern.
As to politics I think they are all rather sad.
No doubt you would not miss an episode of Big Brother ...isn't that a great show...well it must be just look at the ratings.
And folk wonder why I am a hermit concerned only with the stars.
Old 13-11-2014, 07:36 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Yes ROM I think our society is of concern.
As to politics I think they are all rather sad.
No doubt you would not miss an episode of Big Brother ...isn't that a great show...well it must be just look at the ratings.
And folk wonder why I am a hermit concerned only with the stars.
Tend to think you got it right. I have set up my laptop to record the very few things worth watching on the moron box and just bypass the commercials.

Spending more and more of my time up on my mountain. Doc says I should not live up there but I suspect its precisely what I should be doing. Oh, so dark!
Old 13-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

ROM, unfortunately you are spot on. Poor kids have little or no chance to be truly inspired by anything meaningful nowadays...

That's why we can organise stargazing events at school, share with students our attempts at astrophotography, so perhaps a few will catch on and beg their parents to buy them a telescope...when enough kids will get hooked on astronomy, then who knows, maybe it will be like with an iPhone, astronomy will become trendy and popular, and all kids will want/have a telescope, millions of telescopes will be manufactured annually, humanity will start looking at stars again positively shifting its focus away from stupefying entertainment, technology will advance, deep space exploration will become a reality, and I will be able to buy an excellent mount like Mach 1 for under $100... that's the plan anyway... :-)
Old 13-11-2014, 07:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I find my mountain top living a rather healthy way to live.
The weather is more balanced and peace and quite can't be bad.
Drinking rain water I feel also to be best.
Your doctor may just be jealous that you have a mountain.
Old 13-11-2014, 08:02 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
ROM, unfortunately you are spot on. Poor kids have little or no chance to be truly inspired by anything meaningful nowadays...

That's why we can organise stargazing events at school, share with students our attempts at astrophotography, so perhaps a few will catch on and beg their parents to buy them a telescope...when enough kids will get hooked on astronomy, then who knows, maybe it will be like with an iPhone, astronomy will become trendy and popular, and all kids will want/have a telescope, millions of telescopes will be manufactured annually, humanity will start looking at stars again positively shifting its focus away from stupefying entertainment, technology will advance, deep space exploration will become a reality, and I will be able to buy an excellent mount like Mach 1 for under $100... that's the plan anyway... :-)
Two words. "Street Lights" Cant see the stars in a city and that's where most kids live. If they cant see it and it doesn't change on a 30 second cycle to match the attention span, you lose them; well, most of them anyhow... I call it the "Simpson-Southpark syndrome"
Old 13-11-2014, 08:04 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Your doctor may just be jealous that you have a mountain.
Think she's more concerned about the fried circuitry in my heart

Couldn't give a rats myself
Old 14-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Two words. "Street Lights" Cant see the stars in a city and that's where most kids live. If they cant see it and it doesn't change on a 30 second cycle to match the attention span, you lose them; well, most of them anyhow... I call it the "Simpson-Southpark syndrome"
You could always try to show them the Moon and the planets and let them play with telescopes- that seems to help in keeping them interested...My school is in Brisbane's CBD and kids love these events. Some kids occasionally go camping too.

Last edited by Slawomir; 14-11-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 14-11-2014, 11:47 AM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

I have done many school astronomy sessions.
Yep, there are the kids with the 30 seccond attention spans, huh ...whats this astronomy ...oh look something else shiny.
However there is usually 1 or 2 in a class who are very interested, and for them it is a great affirmation of their interest & might be the spark for a career in science.
For the others, you plant a seed, next time someone might hold their interest for 3 minutes. So begins the awakening of young minds. I encourage anyone who can to get kids looking through telescopes. I have come back years later and had kids remember their experience.
Old 14-11-2014, 12:57 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Tend to think you got it right. I have set up my laptop to record the very few things worth watching on the moron box and just bypass the commercials.

Spending more and more of my time up on my mountain. Doc says I should not live up there but I suspect its precisely what I should be doing. Oh, so dark!
I watch extremely little of TV these days, mainly motorsport events (my other passion) and a bit of news is it. Better things to do with my time.

I envy you your mountain and dark skies you're probably in the right place despite what the doc says.
Old 18-11-2014, 06:04 PM
TrevorW

There is no such thing as a free lunch somehow the FTA smells and I bet Australian workers will be the losers in the end, so long as China keeps buying our coal and other raw materials. I think the Govt's of the last 2 decades have done their utmost to undermine our national identity.
Old 19-11-2014, 12:27 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I think manufacturing is important..the pride from ability drives a nation ..I would rate it as a virtue..and yet it escapes us..Is protection ism the only way to foster manufacturing in this country..could better education and support develop manufacture..We can find a solution if it id indeed a problem maybe