Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System

Old 21-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Paul Haese

The best Saturn from 2 June

I think I have finally found the best data set of Saturn from the night of the 2nd of June this year. I have compared the final image against the recent Pic du Midi images which involved Damian and I am very pleased that my image contains a lot of the detail that Pic du Midi image does, albeit not quite as sharp. I have processed the images to wring out the most detail whilst trying to limit sharpening artefacts. I hope you enjoy the view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Saturn 2017-06-02_143112_RGB_PH-run5 resampled.jpg)
183.0 KB248 views
Old 21-07-2017, 12:07 PM
beren

awesome
Old 21-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

That's really nice Paul, can clearly see some of the inner rings which don't show up in a lot of Saturn images.
Old 21-07-2017, 06:30 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
I think I have finally found the best data set of Saturn from the night of the 2nd of June this year. I have compared the final image against the recent Pic du Midi images which involved Damian and I am very pleased that my image contains a lot of the detail that Pic du Midi image does, albeit not quite as sharp. I have processed the images to wring out the most detail whilst trying to limit sharpening artefacts. I hope you enjoy the view.
I may use that as my next screen saver for a while. Lovely!
Old 21-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

An exceptional Saturn. I'm thinking you used the C14? ....Great detail and contrast 👍
Old 21-07-2017, 08:59 PM
leon

Paul that is just incredible, one can feel being on that planet, so crisp and clean, nice work indeed, love it.

Leon
Old 24-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Paul Haese

Thanks guys for the comments.

Peter, yes this is taken with a C14. It would be nice to have a larger aperture to work with but for now this is it.
Old 24-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Thanks guys for the comments.

Peter, yes this is taken with a C14. It would be nice to have a larger aperture to work with but for now this is it.
Nothing wrong with a C14 relatively small secondary, no diffraction spikes. and plenty of aperture...Don Parker started the trend of using them as uber planetary scopes back in 1980's to great effect.

The laws of optics haven't changed much since
Old 24-07-2017, 07:22 PM
veenus (Hannah)

Quote:
That is an incredible picture! Thanks for sharing!
Old 26-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Nothing wrong with a C14 relatively small secondary, no diffraction spikes. and plenty of aperture...Don Parker started the trend of using them as uber planetary scopes back in 1980's to great effect.

The laws of optics haven't changed much since
My reasons for wanting a larger aperture is more to do with speed of capture and getting a greater number of frames due to the increase amount of light.

Diffraction spikes are a bit of a misnomer in planetary imaging and therefore don't figure in the equation. You only have to look at Phil Miles's and Trevor Barry's image which are taken with very large Newtonians, to see that diffraction spikes are not an issue.

I think Don is most known for his use of Newtonian though, but yes he was/is the grand father of planetary imaging.

The C14 is very portable and hence why I have stuck with it for so long. It's probably for now the best option I have. If I were to go larger it would be a 20" or great scope.
Old 26-07-2017, 03:34 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Very awesome Paul, & great you have turned up with an image like this, considering one needs to be ready & waiting for a good night when all goes so well, gear & ultimately atmospherical conditions
Gotta be stoked with that !!
Old 31-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Very awesome Paul, & great you have turned up with an image like this, considering one needs to be ready & waiting for a good night when all goes so well, gear & ultimately atmospherical conditions
Gotta be stoked with that !!
Thanks Bob, yes I am very happy with this image of Saturn. Probably my best images of Saturn to date resulted from this night. I am now looking forward to Mars next year. In fact having all three planets high in the sky next year will be excellent and sure to produce many nice images from the southern hemisphere.