Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-06-2017, 06:56 PM
raymo

Help needed with Windows 10

I have recently upgraded from W8 to W10[I wish I hadn't].
I imported some pics from my camera of items I want to put on ebay. They went into "photos," and unlike "my pictures" in W8, I can't find any way of moving them into a folder that I can put on my desktop. Right clicking on
both the folder the pics are in, or on a specific pic doesn't show any of the customary options such as "send to", "copy', "paste" etc. I created a folder
on the desktop when I imported the pics, but it seems to have ignored
the named folder that I designated for them, as the folder is empty.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as long as it is not too
convoluted and/or complicated, as I'm not the sharpest chisel in the
shed where computers are concerned.
raymo
Old 18-06-2017, 07:08 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I'm running win 10 and I don't have a "photos" folder. Are you sure it's not a folder created by some other software you are using?

The Windows 10 default folder is "Pictures", which seems to contain "Camera Roll" and "Saved Pictures" and because I have a GoPro and and an Olympus Camera they have also created folders in there. But, just so you know, I don't use any of that.

In any case, right click on the windows icon at the left of the task bar and select File Explorer. You should be able to look around in that and find and move your photos to where you want them.

Al.

Last edited by sheeny; 18-06-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 18-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Malcolm

When you plug in the camera via USB, you should be able to view them on the cameras SD card. Select all the pictures you want and you should be able to copy/paste or drag/drop into your desired folder. Download CCleaner, a must have anyway and open Tools/Startup/Context Menu. Disable QuickSFV if it exists. Also BTMSentToExt (Intel Corporation) if it exists. Another trick you can try is the mouse options, reversing the buttons and then back again. Another problem could be the fact that Win10 doesn't like Nvidia GPU's. A solution is to uninstall the card and let Windows install a driver. Make sure all uW10 pdates have been loaded as well.
Get the ViStart 8.1 start menu for W10, it loads your desktop with a start menu you are used to.
Old 18-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Malcolm

Further to your problem, download this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Then do this:
  1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
  2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu
  3. On the list, you'll see some of the entries with pink background, those are installed by the third party software
  4. Hold down CTRL Key and select all of them then click on the red button on top left corner to disable.
  5. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
  6. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fix your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 5 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.
Old 18-06-2017, 08:05 PM
leon

As a photo person and photo book printer/maker i have enjoyed XP, and 8.1 using Zoombrowser from Canon.

That software is just perfect and Digital Photo Professional is also spot on for making books with reversed printing.

Therefore I say win 10 is just crap, my dear wife has it installed because one can't buy a Lap Top without it already installed.

She hates it, and so do I

I will always keep my Desk Top which i might add is just perfect. , I had it rebuilt some time ago to what i wanted and will see my Computer friend again very soon

Leon
Old 18-06-2017, 08:07 PM
raymo

Thankyou everybody, I'll work my way through your solutions.
Incidentally Al, my W10 doesn't seem to have a folder called pictures;
the only equivalent folder on my desktop is "photos", which is also the only image related option in the list of programmes. In W8 there is "my
documents," "my pictures", etc, but they don't seem to exist in W10.
I have just found a folder called "pictures" in Media Player, and my pics
are in there, but there is still no option to move them.
raymo
Old 18-06-2017, 08:19 PM
raymo

Thanks everybody, Al in particular, found "pictures" and "documents" etc
using "file explorer". How strange that you have to go into file explorer to
find frequently used features.
raymo