Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Spiral versus Ellipse in Virgo

Quite a contrast. The beautiful grand design half-face-on spiral with tightly wound arms at top left is NGC 5364. It has a pin-point core.

The very unusual orange-coloured elliptical at top right is NGC 5363. Close inspection shows fine branching dust-lanes, suggesting it has been munching on a spiral not so long ago. It seems to have three nuclei.

The thumbnail is a crop. The full image is 30 min arc across, 0.55 sec arc/pixel, showing another beautiful yellow near-edge-on spiral at bottom right, and at least 50 other galaxies in the far distance.

L 7.5 hrs, RGB 1.5 hrs each, all in 30 min subs. Aspen CG16M on 20" PlaneWave on MI-750 fork.

Acquisition and processing with our own Selene and GoodLook 64.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Virgo Quartet NGC 5364 et al Thumb.jpg)
162.7 KB97 views

Last edited by Placidus; 24-07-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 23-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Sharp and clean Mike, soo many galaxys.
Old 23-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Really beautiful image M&T.

One can even get an impression of the spiral galaxy being younger and vibrant, spinning happily through space, while the elliptical, aged, experienced, watching from a distance and slowly munching on a TimTam...

There is also an interesting apparently small object near the bottom of the image at around 5.30 o'clock - perhaps colliding galaxies
Old 23-07-2017, 07:54 PM
billdan (Bill)

Lovely image M&T, great colours in the spiral galaxy, all that action in 30 arcmins, just amazing.

Bill
Old 23-07-2017, 08:53 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Out at my Observatory, so only looking at this on my cheap'ol Samsung Galaxy mob phone ....but I can tell this is a lovely image guys Ill be honset, the dotty dec/wavelettonised detail in the spiral is juuust noticable but otherwise, lovely processing and great contrast between the galaxy morphologies, can't wait to have a really good look on a proper screen tomorrow, the fine dust lane in the Eliptical looks great and interesting

Oh and thanks for not posting yet another Fighting Dragons image
...I do like a nice Dragon, buuut.....
Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 23-07-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 23-07-2017, 09:10 PM
gregbradley

Wow, that is really nice. I imaged that one a while ago and loved its form.

That's one of your best. Love it. Fabulous colour and to get that fine dust in the elliptical is the icing on the cake.

Greg.
Old 23-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Sharp and clean Mike, soo many galaxys.
Thanks, Fred. Not as many galaxies per field as around Grus perhaps, but lots and lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Really beautiful image M&T.

One can even get an impression of the spiral galaxy being younger and vibrant, spinning happily through space, while the elliptical, aged, experienced, watching from a distance and slowly munching on a TimTam...

There is also an interesting apparently small object near the bottom of the image at around 5.30 o'clock - perhaps colliding galaxies
Thanks Suavi. We enjoyed the poetry most apt. The little fellow at 5:30 is quite blue. We wondered (with little basis other than colour and lack of clear shape) if it was an irregular dwarf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
Lovely image M&T, great colours in the spiral galaxy, all that action in 30 arcmins, just amazing.

Bill
Thanks Bill. It was a bit of a squeeze getting the four main galaxies in the field, but the contrast was very tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Out at my Observatory, so only looking at this on my cheap'ol Samsung Galaxy mob phone ....but I can tell this is a lovely image guys Ill be honset, the dotty dec/wavelettonised detail in the spiral is juuust noticable but otherwise, lovely processing and great contrast between the galaxy morphologies, can't wait to have a really good look on a proper screen tomorrow, the fine dust lane in the Eliptical looks great and interesting

Oh and thanks for not posting yet another Fighting Dragons image
...I do like a nice Dragon, buuut.....
Mike
Thanks Mike! Very glad you like it. We promise to keep away from that bit of Ara this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Wow, that is really nice. I imaged that one a while ago and loved its form.

That's one of your best. Love it. Fabulous colour and to get that fine dust in the elliptical is the icing on the cake.

Greg.
Thanks for the very welcome encouragement, Greg. We'd love to know more about that elliptical.

Very best,
M & T
Old 23-07-2017, 09:57 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Very beautiful image M&T! I love galaxy groups and this one is a cracker!

Faint vertical bands across the frame though - some camera artefacts? Also a bit of a green cast going on - bottom left especially.
Old 23-07-2017, 10:39 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Still on the mob phone out here...but gee, Im really enjoyin this one, come back to it a couple'a times, a great grouping.

Mike
Old 23-07-2017, 11:02 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

A beautiful pair that's for sure. Wonderful image.
Old 23-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Really nice shot you've got there. It kinda has everything, young galaxies, old galaxies, active and "dead" galaxies
Old 24-07-2017, 08:10 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Lovely image, M&T Some very photogenic galaxies of all (apparent) sizes.

Astroplanner claims these galaxies are actually in Hercules?

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 24-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Very beautiful image M&T! I love galaxy groups and this one is a cracker!

Faint vertical bands across the frame though - some camera artefacts? Also a bit of a green cast going on - bottom left especially.
Thanks Marcus. The banding is patterned readout noise. It would go away if we did many more hours. We can also process it out. Will revisit.

Quote:
Still on the mob phone out here...but gee, Im really enjoyin this one, come back to it a couple'a times, a great grouping.

Mike
Thanks Mike, we're much encouraged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
A beautiful pair that's for sure. Wonderful image.
Thanks, Kevin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Really nice shot you've got there. It kinda has everything, young galaxies, old galaxies, active and "dead" galaxies
Cheers, Colin. A nice description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Lovely image, M&T Some very photogenic galaxies of all (apparent) sizes.

Astroplanner claims these galaxies are actually in Hercules?

Cheers,
Rick.
Hi, Rick. Thanks for spotting that. Mike's bad typing. The NGC numbers were out by 1000. This is now fixed in the original post, so they are now safely back in northern Virgo.

Best,
Mike and Trish
Old 24-07-2017, 08:56 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
they are now safely back in northern Virgo
Thanks, I'm sure they'll be much happier there
Old 24-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Another cracking image M & T. Gives me a real 'floating in intergalactic space' feeling.
Old 24-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Paul Haese

Nice field of view Mike. Colour is superb and the detail is excellent. A very nice image.
Old 24-07-2017, 11:52 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Ok looking at it on the proper screen at home now and yep still an awesome field, the good thing about a genuinely big scope, always has that much more grandeur about it, great colours in the galaxies too. I love those faint curved arms extending off the ends of the edge on spiral just above the blue star lower left I can see the warts Marcus referred to, they were not noticeably on the mobile phone screen last night and the uniform dot like decon/wavelettes detail is more noticeable in the spiral too, still a very pleasurable view though and I enjoyed viewing it out under the stars last night too

Mike
Old 25-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Narrowing the band

Here is a link to the Answer in the Back of the Book. A big mosaic using the NOAO Kitt Peak 4 metre scope. They have a 10 MB version.

NOAO says that the two galaxies are starting to interact gravitationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Another cracking image M & T. Gives me a real 'floating in intergalactic space' feeling.
Thanks, Pete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Nice field of view Mike. Colour is superb and the detail is excellent. A very nice image.
Thanks, Paul. The NOAO image looks distinctly, perhaps implausibly, redder than ours, but they are using B, G, and I filters.

Quote:
Ok looking at it on the proper screen at home now and yep still an awesome field, the good thing about a genuinely big scope, always has that much more grandeur about it, great colours in the galaxies too. I love those faint curved arms extending off the ends of the edge on spiral just above the blue star lower left I can see the warts Marcus referred to, they were not noticeably on the mobile phone screen last night and the uniform dot like decon/wavelettes detail is more noticeable in the spiral too, still a very pleasurable view though and I enjoyed viewing it out under the stars last night too

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I think I misunderstood which vertical banding Marcus was referring to. There is some faint fat banding which is camera noise. There are also a large number of very fine not-quite-vertical lines, which are courtesy of Qantas. They seemed to keep adjusting the flight path to follow our scope. There were so many that the usual statistical outlier rejection did not completely get rid of them. Luckily this is not normally a problem.

We were rather delighted to see that comparing back to back with the 4 metre scope, we didn't come out too shabbily.

Many of the intense blue dot-like star-forming regions in the spiral arms in our image resolve in their image into several smaller sub-dots, but the dots are in the right place. The dust lanes in the elliptical match up nicely too.

What they do have is hugely more resolvable background galaxies, which in our image just look like stars.

Very best,
M
Old 25-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I'm enjoying seeing the contrasting galaxy types, but compositionally I'm struggling with this image.
Mabye it's just me but my eye keeps darting about from side to side, up and down with no particular point of focus or "hero" to on which to rest.
Neverless, the colours and details are very cool.
Old 25-07-2017, 02:23 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Here is a link to the Answer in the Back of the Book. A big mosaic using the NOAO Kitt Peak 4 metre scope. They have a 10 MB version.

NOAO says that the two galaxies are starting to interact gravitationally.

Thanks, Pete.

Thanks, Paul. The NOAO image looks distinctly, perhaps implausibly, redder than ours, but they are using B, G, and I filters.

Thanks, Mike. I think I misunderstood which vertical banding Marcus was referring to. There is some faint fat banding which is camera noise. There are also a large number of very fine not-quite-vertical lines, which are courtesy of Qantas. They seemed to keep adjusting the flight path to follow our scope. There were so many that the usual statistical outlier rejection did not completely get rid of them. Luckily this is not normally a problem.

We were rather delighted to see that comparing back to back with the 4 metre scope, we didn't come out too shabbily.

Many of the intense blue dot-like star-forming regions in the spiral arms in our image resolve in their image into several smaller sub-dots, but the dots are in the right place. The dust lanes in the elliptical match up nicely too.

What they do have is hugely more resolvable background galaxies, which in our image just look like stars.

Very best,
M
Oh I am sure your image compares very nicely to that big'ol 4m, it's beautiful

I think the problem with decon/wavelettes filters is that both can easily force all the HII and star cluster details (in the case of galaxies) into uniformly round dots and it is this effect that my eyes are so highly tuned to notice....it just doesn't look real to me

Mike