Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Ricer is a very appropriate description for this Chinese scope
Old 12-07-2017, 11:48 PM
acropolite (Phil)

All scopes look the same the dark Lewis, perhaps you should have used glow in the dark stars....
Old 13-07-2017, 09:09 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
All scopes look the same the dark Lewis, perhaps you should have used glow in the dark stars....

Good way for him to tell which end to look through as well
Old 13-07-2017, 10:28 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Well, looking through the MOOOOOOLON, it doesn't seem to make any difference WHICH end you look into
Old 14-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Phew, glad that wasn't my C8

The R-word is an American term, back in Blighty they're called "boy racers", although now that seems somehow sexist.

The bling in Blighty would be called "go faster stripes"...and naturally red is the fastest colour
I am an Astro Ricer, I am working towards eliminating my Ricer behaviour within all my Astro activities, it's not easy. Unfortunately for me and thousands of other Astro Ricers, the nature of Astronomy beckons Ricers like a libation, the desire to add just "One more red LED" is almost uncontrollable. The heady mix of Tech and Art that is Astronomy awakens the latent Ricer in almost all of us, with only the more sage & sober being immune.
I have many more red LED's than anyone has a right too, maybe there should be a Ricer Tax on red LED's? Equally, a Velcro surcharge of excessive use of Velcro either on the mount or OTA itself. There are sundry other unnecessary and unwelcome additions to otherwise innocent OTA's and Mounts that constitute Astro Ricer Abuse (ARA) and of all the horrors... articulated arms on OTA's, the horror!
With the revenue raised from the Ricer Taxes & surcharges, we could fund Ricer Intervention Teams (RIT) that would function much like SWAT squads. At the first sign of Ricer OTA activity, the RIT's could swoop down from on high and lead interventions thereby preventing the proliferation of Ricer behaviour within the wider Astro community and the public humiliation of otherwise proud and noble OTA's and mounts.
Ricer Intervention Teams (RIT) would be particularly useful at Star Parties, serving as a prophylactic hindering the spread of the Ricer cotangent within the Amateur Astro community.
We must be mindful of the fact that there are thousands of otherwise noble & proud OTA's and Mounts that have suffered abuse and humiliation at the hands of Ricers. It is beholden upon use all to prevent Astro Ricer Abuse (ARA).
Think for just one moment if the Amateur community does not take action... what if the Ricer contagion spread to the ESO? Hideous broad red stripes would appear on the Ob itself, the dull glow of the massed red LED's would wipe out the entire spectrums. Acre's of velcro on the mount would permanently impede the mount making simple RA tracking impossible. The opening of the Ob rather than being the dignified thing it is could be met with a rendition of La Cucaracha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfka9m6NhzE
The consequences of Ricer activities spreading within the professional Astronomic community are so dire that the merest contemplation results in a fevered brow. It's up to all of us to our bit, for me it's one-day-at-a-time, I have blocked Ebay from my Internet searches, I have done what I can do, we all need to do more.

Remeber.... "Only you can prevent Astro Ricer Abuse (ARA)"!