Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Grejoh (Greg)

Smile Ipswich Region Astronomers

Hey peoples, I was just wondering if there are any astronomers who live in Ipswich or the surrounding areas? Would be great to meet and great fellow like minded person who live in the area. Dont be shy, say HI!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:21 PM
NJB (Noel)

Hi Greg.

I don't live in the Ipswich area - I'm about 1/2 hour drive away near Browns Plains. But soon (late August), I will be moving to Laidley. Still about 1/2 hour from Ipswich, but with heaps better sky. And hopefully more opportunities to observe.

I am hoping that at this year's Qld Astrofest I can catch up with anyone from the Lockyer Valley area. Are you planning on being at Astrofest, Greg?

Noel
Old 09-06-2010, 02:32 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejoh View Post
Hey peoples, I was just wondering if there are any astronomers who live in Ipswich or the surrounding areas? Would be great to meet and great fellow like minded person who live in the area. Dont be shy, say HI!
51km north of you: see TenChain Hill Obs threads in this section.
Peter.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:50 PM
mch62 (Mark)

Noel, i am in the lockyer Valley as well --Glenore Grove Observator.
Yes the Skies are great especially to the south and north. A bit of glow from Bris vagas to the east about 10 degs up but thats not a problem. Toowoomba only presents a problem if there is any wispy clouds around but most times we are blessed with dark skys out here within 1 hr of Bris Vagas.
Will be at astrofest for first WE to Thursday, just look for someone camping in the back of a Mazda ute.
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJB View Post
Hi Greg.

I don't live in the Ipswich area - I'm about 1/2 hour drive away near Browns Plains. But soon (late August), I will be moving to Laidley. Still about 1/2 hour from Ipswich, but with heaps better sky. And hopefully more opportunities to observe.

I am hoping that at this year's Qld Astrofest I can catch up with anyone from the Lockyer Valley area. Are you planning on being at Astrofest, Greg?

Noel
Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Brundah1 (David)
Oh! No! More Clouds!

Welcome Greg

Hello Greg,

Noticed your comments in your public profile.

Welcome to this freindly group from another relative newbie who has been a member for less than 12 months but met great peopel here and learned so much. There are hours of reading and great advice in these forums.

I'm also from the aviation field, but now retired and then got bitten by an astronomical bug.

Note Peter's welcome to you from ten chain hill. I can vouch for his genuine warm welcome. I have spent a couple of nights with Peter at his dark site observatory - plenty of scope to learn a few good tips.

Clear skies,
David
Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 PM
GC (Greg)

Ipswichish Observers

Hi Greg,

I'm a newbie here to IIS (joined today). I live in Sunnybank Hills, and work in Goodna. I'm builder and user of telescopes and equipment, but haven't been at it for too long.

I am actually considering starting a club which would be closer to me. My workplace in Goodna has a large open grassed area down by the river with almost no nusiance lighting at all. It would make for a great meeting and observing area without having to travel too far. I can probably arrange for some indoors areas as well.

I was going to gauge interest at Astrofest, but I thought I'd start here. It doesn't have to be too formal, just meeting up of interested people. Are you interested? Is anyone else?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:33 AM
NJB (Noel)

Hi Mark.

I plan on being at Astrofest from Tue 10 to Sun 15. So our days should overlap. I look forward to catching up with you and finding out more about your observatory at Glenore Grove. I hope to build some sort of shelter for my scope once I move, but that will depend on available finances. I'm tired of having my equipment locked up in a room in the house, and it being a major task to get it all out and usable!

Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mch62 View Post
Noel, i am in the lockyer Valley as well --Glenore Grove Observator.
Yes the Skies are great especially to the south and north. A bit of glow from Bris vagas to the east about 10 degs up but thats not a problem. Toowoomba only presents a problem if there is any wispy clouds around but most times we are blessed with dark skys out here within 1 hr of Bris Vagas.
Will be at astrofest for first WE to Thursday, just look for someone camping in the back of a Mazda ute.
Mark
Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Grejoh (Greg)

Hey Greg,

Yes I would be interested. There seems to be no form of club or gathering that really caters to those of us in the Western Region, say Ipswich/Lockyer Valley, which is a shame. So count me in.

Greg
Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 AM
mch62 (Mark)

Ditto the club. I had concidered joining one but from the Lockyer it's not practical with the current clubs.
Mark
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
NJB (Noel)

Lockyer Valley Astronomical Society (or whatever)

Maybe the time has come to form a club (or a sub-branch of a pre-existing club?) for areas west of Ipswich? Count me in (once I actually move there...).

Noel
Old 11-06-2010, 03:07 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mch62 View Post
Ditto the club. I had concidered joining one but from the Lockyer it's not practical with the current clubs.
Mark
Like Mark, I find that being in a rural or semi-rural location doesn't make the existing clubs very workable. But there is no doubting the advantages of building more of a sense of community around those of us who pursue this ear-freezing, butt-numbing, dollar-gulping hobby. Having my own Obs has made me less inclined to travel also. Perhaps that's common. I don't know. But I do really need to improve my skills in several areas like image processing and being able to rub shoulders with others with those skills/knowledge would be a definite plus. So while I am a bit ambivilent about the formalism of clubs as such, I am certainly a supporter of more contact and exchanges. That's why I open up my place (TenChain Hill near Somerset Dam) to like-minded lunar-tics on the New Moon weekends - weather permitting - and I see the same offers in this thread coming from others. That's the kind of thing we can begin with and when a kernel of people seem to have formed up around one location or another, perhaps a club can follow in due course. But it seems to me that we need to begin by knowing who we are and getting some contact going.

I'll be at AstroFest also (the final 4 days I think I booked for). I suggest that's probably a good place to have a coffee session one afternoon and see where it goes from there.
Peter.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:00 AM
mch62 (Mark)

Hi Peter. I intend on attending one of you nights soon. I have purchased a little SCT for Hyperstar imaging just for the purpose of a travel scope just waiting on a few things to turn up. Hopefully by Astrofest I will be fully up and running. It's good having an observator but the socalising of meeting others like minded weirdos (what the boss calls us) is usefull for learning and ironing out problems

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Like Mark, I find that being in a rural or semi-rural location doesn't make the existing clubs very workable. But there is no doubting the advantages of building more of a sense of community around those of us who pursue this ear-freezing, butt-numbing, dollar-gulping hobby. Having my own Obs has made me less inclined to travel also. Perhaps that's common. I don't know. But I do really need to improve my skills in several areas like image processing and being able to rub shoulders with others with those skills/knowledge would be a definite plus. So while I am a bit ambivilent about the formalism of clubs as such, I am certainly a supporter of more contact and exchanges. That's why I open up my place (TenChain Hill near Somerset Dam) to like-minded lunar-tics on the New Moon weekends - weather permitting - and I see the same offers in this thread coming from others. That's the kind of thing we can begin with and when a kernel of people seem to have formed up around one location or another, perhaps a club can follow in due course. But it seems to me that we need to begin by knowing who we are and getting some contact going.

I'll be at AstroFest also (the final 4 days I think I booked for). I suggest that's probably a good place to have a coffee session one afternoon and see where it goes from there.
Peter.
Old 14-06-2010, 08:44 PM
GC (Greg)

Possibilites

Greg, Mark,

Thanks for the interest. I've checked with the boss, and he's fine with the use of the area, and there are three possible areas on the property. I've tried out my main scope in the "worst" area on Friday, and it's very good for an urban observing area.

So it's just a matter of when and how to start! I'm away from end June to mid July (i.e. new moon, darnit), so perhaps we can get something together after Astrofest in August.

Unless you want to meet up sometime this month. We don't even need to get the scopes out, maybe just meet for coffee/beer/other.
Old 15-06-2010, 09:46 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJB View Post
Maybe the time has come to form a club (or a sub-branch of a pre-existing club?) for areas west of Ipswich? Count me in (once I actually move there...).

Noel
Noel, we had Toowoomba and Bundaberg sections of the AAQ for a while so it can work. In the end, Bundaberg started their own Inc, and our very fine Toowoomba members preferred traveling to Brisbane for the facilities that we offer...

But being an affiliate of an established club is a very good way of starting out as you can get access to plenty of resources as well as the all important insurances with minimum of fuss.

If you guys get serious, give me a shout.

Whatever way: come along to our club meet this Saturday: 4pm in the Parnell Building, UQ, St Lucia. Visitors are very welcome to all our events.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Grejoh (Greg)

Well I am now the proud owner of an Orion XT10i Intelliscope! Lets get a bit more serious about this gathering and try and get together some time. Although not next week! I am shifting house from Brassall to Raceview!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:48 AM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

Hi Greg

Just wanted to register my interest in a get together. I am in at Parkinson (between Noel and Greg [GC]), but I have spent many nights out at Glenore Grove with Mark.

My uncle recently purchased a property south of Gatton. I haven't checked it out for darkness yet but I plan on doing that soon, so this might be another location. I have also contemplated a session out at Ten Chain Hill, but the timing of work and weather has not made this possible yet ... but I will make it one day

Would be certainly interested in joining in an observing session anywhere from Ipswich (only 20mins away) to the Lockyer Valley over the coming months.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 AM
mch62 (Mark)

Hi Andrew, haven't herd from you for a while. Are you allowed to goto Astrofest
I would say your Uncles property will offer similar views to my place with very dark sky's to the south and north and only a very subtle glow from Brisvagas to the east at times and only a bit of cloud glow from Toowoomba to the west at times. Mark
Old 09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

Hi guys,

Its really nice to see some locals on here, Mum place (telescope home) is at Hatton Vale and yes the viewing is beautiful. http://steve000.dyndns.org/ the first 3 images are a 30 second exposure.
Im a bit new to Astronomy in someways so I would be really keen on meeting up one night, id be willing to offer mums place as a meeting place, plenty of land easy access heaps of parking. I don't think she'd have a problem with it.
Her place is at the base of the minden ranges on the gatton side so the brisbane/ipswich glare is hidden somewhat.
Let me know your thoughts on this, only available on weekends, no accommodation is available unfortunately, however your welcome to camp and there is a hotel just up the road.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:01 PM
SarahRJ (Sarah)

Hi everyone, I live in Ipswich and have become fascinated with the sky, I am considering studying Astronomy at uni but I would like to learn a lot more about it before I do. I am thinking of becoming a member of the Brisbane Astronomical society, anyone here a member? or maybe we could organize our own outings?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRJ View Post
Hi everyone, I live in Ipswich and have become fascinated with the sky, I am considering studying Astronomy at uni but I would like to learn a lot more about it before I do. I am thinking of becoming a member of the Brisbane Astronomical society, anyone here a member? or maybe we could organize our own outings?
Hi Sarah,

I have been a member of the Brisbane Astronomical Society for just over a year and I have enjoyed my time with the group.

I am sure that you have already checked out the website but here it is just in case you need it:

http://www.bas.asn.au/index.html

It is a great place to get a handle on astronomy, check out the gear that is available in the market place and meet like minded people.

Regards,
Stu.