Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-09-2018, 07:48 AM
glend (Glen)

ALDI 38AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery -29/9/19

Just received the flyer for the Aldi camping gear sale and once again they are offering a pretty good battery. I have bought a couple of their 40AH batteries over past years. I notice this year they are offering a 38AH AGM for $99,99.
Ideal for powering an EQ mount overnight. I have one in my observatory which is dedicated to the heater controller, and recharged by a solar panel.
Old 24-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Only problem with Aldi, is these sort of offers are only teasers, you go to get one and they are sold out. I reckon they only offer to suck people into coming into the store, not a very good ploy in my opinion.
I reckon I have fronted into their stores half a dozen times to get these specials, and on the first day only to find they are sold out. One of their people said they only had 2 or 3 in stock so it was first up best dressed, totally shonky I reckon, I wont go near them any more.
Old 24-09-2018, 04:25 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Only problem with Aldi, is these sort of offers are only teasers, you go to get one and they are sold out. I reckon they only offer to suck people into coming into the store, not a very good ploy in my opinion.
I reckon I have fronted into their stores half a dozen times to get these specials, and on the first day only to find they are sold out. One of their people said they only had 2 or 3 in stock so it was first up best dressed, totally shonky I reckon, I wont go near them any more.
I have never had a problem buying ALDI batteries, hardly the sort of item that creates a frenzy. Last year there were about ten of them still available at mid-day of the Special sale.
I would agree that some Special sales, like the Ski Gear, brings out the crazies.
Old 24-09-2018, 11:30 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Glen, I was generalising about their sales methods, I can remember at least half a dozen times where they had a special going that I was very interested in, and in all cases they pulled this sort of stunt. Not sure if it only SA that does it, but they have definitely stopped me from attempting to purchase their goods. If something is on sale, for goodness sake don't just have a couple of the items available, make it worthwhile by having a few dozen available. Not everyone wants to wait at the doors for opening time to rush in and fight the nutters for a few breadcrumbs. Definitely not my scene.
Old 28-09-2018, 12:28 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Glen, I was generalising about their sales methods, I can remember at least half a dozen times where they had a special going that I was very interested in, and in all cases they pulled this sort of stunt. Not sure if it only SA that does it, but they have definitely stopped me from attempting to purchase their goods. If something is on sale, for goodness sake don't just have a couple of the items available, make it worthwhile by having a few dozen available. Not everyone wants to wait at the doors for opening time to rush in and fight the nutters for a few breadcrumbs. Definitely not my scene.
It's not solely a practice of Aldi in South Australia. That's how Aldi handles stocks for everything they advertise in their sale catalogues, Australia wide.
I would not, at all, be surprised to learn that Aldi use the same deceptive methods, in their branches globally, simply to get foolhardy punters through the doors.
The few times I've been to such Aldi sales, I've been quick enough to be able to purchase exactly what I'd planned to. But yes, it does become quite frustrating for anyone not quite fast enough on the day.
Old 28-09-2018, 12:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

You need to be at the front of the mob on special day.
I sneak in with my walker and plan my run just like when I raced mx☺ hold the corners to prevent a pass on the inside and accelerate as soon as possible coming out of the corner☺

I purchased one of their camper frigdes, great unit, but by the time I wrestled mine onto the walker the others were taken
I have yet to work out my power .
I have not worked out what I draw for a night (using a meter) but it seems 6 amps is what I should work on...mount, cooled camera lap top... say out there for six hours maybe more...but it seems I may use 40 amps...so I would like a battery between 150 and 200 amps...

My approach with batteries is not to discharge past 20% which may be conservative.
Alex
Old 28-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Should not have to line up with the masses for a 1% chance of securing something that is on sale, really just a ruse to get people into the store, not my scene I am afraid..
Old 29-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Stefan Buda

Just back from the local Aldi (St Kilda East) and they have 8 of them. No one is lining up to grab them.
Old 29-09-2018, 10:26 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well if no one wants them I am not getting one☺
Alex
Old 29-09-2018, 10:30 AM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Well if no one wants them I am not getting one☺
Alex
Guffaw!
Old 29-09-2018, 11:25 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Grabbed one myself after my 80Ah died on me, won't charge past 10V >
Old 29-09-2018, 12:11 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Should not have to line up with the masses for a 1% chance of securing something that is on sale, really just a ruse to get people into the store, not my scene I am afraid..
You have made your point, several times now. You work for Jaycar or some competitor charging twice the price? They keep offering them, so someone is certainly buying them. I have two of them bought in different years, and never had a problem securing one.

Tony, take it back they are under warranty.
Old 29-09-2018, 01:52 PM
nsavage (Nick)

I managed to grab one myself. Very happy. Now to make a suitable box with lighter plugs etc. for it.
Old 29-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Exfso (Peter)

No Glen, I don't work at all, too old just one of my pet hates
Old 29-09-2018, 07:20 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
You have made your point, several times now. You work for Jaycar or some competitor charging twice the price? They keep offering them, so someone is certainly buying them. I have two of them bought in different years, and never had a problem securing one.

Tony, take it back they are under warranty.
I bought the 80Ah second hand, I don't think warranty applies
Old 29-09-2018, 10:57 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Got one myself at about Midday today. There was 8 of them.
Old 30-09-2018, 03:01 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

So now that I have one these, what is the recommended charger.
I assume that my rather old car battery charger is going to shorten the life of this new battery.

Michael.
Old 30-09-2018, 05:52 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellxv View Post
I assume that my rather old car battery charger is going to shorten the life of this new battery.

Michael.
A smart charger with multistage and trickle charging feature is best. 3 stage minimum I think. I have a sca 10amp 7 stage charger that charges things nice and quick.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:46 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
It's not a "Stunt" it's just the way they work. They don't have a Bunnings sized store so they can't keep endless supplies of stock.

I personally look forward to the catalogue twice a week to see what is coming up.

I think I have only missed one thing in 4 yrs that I wanted.

"Not everyone wants to wait at the doors for opening time to rush in and fight the nutters for a few breadcrumbs." and that's perfectly fine, not everyone wants a new car or apple pie, but some people do and some enjoy doing the Aldi Rush.

You are perfectly allowed to find lesser quality stuff for more money at many shops in the time frame that suits you. But please don't expect everyone to stand back and wait around so you can take your time deciding if you want it or not for that price.

Aldi is obviously "not your cup of tea", which is fine, more bargains for Me
Old 01-10-2018, 09:19 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellxv View Post

Michael.
General rule of the thumb is 1/10th C, so 3.8A max, and then constant voltage of 13.8-14.3 until the amps drop right down. A cheap PWM solar regulator can act as a charge regulator for an old car battery charger if you wanted to save money. The car charger connects where the solar panels would normally go.