Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2018, 02:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Orion via Startools.

Well it is a perfect day for processing.

Still learning Startools which seems to be hit and miss because frankly I have little idea what to do

I have been going thru old photos and seeing what comes of them.
I had put this Orion in the trash but because the center was badly blown out...I am surprised it came back to life...I know the colour is way off but I like it
I don't have details of the original stack but it seems to have been thru the 80mm and no doubt 30 seconds at 1600 iso. probably around 80 frames maybe even darks and lights but I really don't remember.

I seem to have accumulated so much data over the last year I think I will be happy when the clouds are here...and its in a mess..as much as I have tried to keep organised I still have stuff all over the place...funny thing when I finished processing this I went to post it and could not find it...

Let that be a hint ..even if you are starting out keep organised...I don't know how others do it and perhaps folk could chime in as to any system they find works for them.

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (orionstartools.jpg)
173.8 KB67 views
Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I did not notice the noise... anyways on to the next one...my point was really this Startools works wonders on the old dslr images even.
alex
Old 08-09-2018, 03:09 PM
RyanJones

Hi Alex,

The deep red hue in this pic makes it look like the most amazing explosive fire in the sky. Great artistic touch

As for organising of data. I have quite a good organising system I believe. It's all in a main folder called Astrophotography. In this folder are seperate folders for each object in their fully processed and completed form saved as JPEGs. Each time I process a new one of any given object it goes in to its respective folder ( this is great for seeing the progress you've made over time ) each file is saved with the name of he object plus a list of 12 numbers relating to the exposure details subs,ISO,exposure length in seconds. Eg: EtaCarinea010016000025.jpg ( 100 subs, ISO 1600, 25 secs ). Looks complex but when every file is recorded the same it makes sense.
As for the raw data, that is stored in a seperate folder called preprocess. Again each object has its own folder plus the date it was collected. The data details are established by a folder inside each data store for the darks eg : dark1600x25.
The final folder is one called DSSTIF for the files saved by DSS. Again saved as object000000000000.tif

This system seems to work pretty well for me. I hope I articulated it well enough for people to understand. By all means if anyone has ideas to add or faults with the system please let me know
Old 08-09-2018, 03:49 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

I think the noise vs detail is perfect here Alex - I wouldn't touch it! Maybe try to use this as a reference for how much Nr to use!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Ryan
Thanks...yes artist I like that.
Sounds good way ahead of me.
Alex
Old 08-09-2018, 08:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
I think the noise vs detail is perfect here Alex - I wouldn't touch it! Maybe try to use this as a reference for how much Nr to use!
Thank Logan
I was amazed given what I started with. Good idea by the way.
Alex
Old 19-09-2018, 05:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

retried with same image to see if I have improved since I posted the first one using little things I found since I first processed it.
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (orion73binnedfin.jpg)
127.8 KB17 views
Old 19-09-2018, 05:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Must be different...they are not at same angle...unless I rotated the first one at some point..which I must have done.
But seems more detail???
alex
Old 19-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

While the colour here is good, again you seem to have smoothed over all the detail compared to the original - not really conserving that perfect ratio in the original.Also you have way clipped the dusty bits!
Old 19-09-2018, 11:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for the guidance Logan.
I will try again.
Alex
Old 20-09-2018, 09:05 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Nice Alex. I think I'm with you in having trouble keeping old data organised.