Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 16-09-2018, 04:43 PM
ghealey56 (Geoff)

EQMOD - HEQ5/6 tracking drop outs

Hi, I am a new member and setting up my gear and I am hoping someone else may have a similar problem. I am finding intermittent drop outs in tracking with my mount. I have it connected via the skyscan controller with a serial to USB connector. I have changed mount power supply, gone from using a hub to a USB port on my PC. No problems with any other devices. The drop outs occur withing minutes to several hours and independent of any telescope movement although I have moved all the connectors in use to see if I could trigger the problem. The USB to serial converter has a activity indicator and it shows data during the drop outs. The only log I can find is comms_trace and nothing there to indicate a problem. I will swapping over to a direct connect cable to remove the hand controller but I wonder if that will make any difference.

Any assistance / suggestions greatly appreciated, until I solve this I fear my success will be limited.

06:30:27.185 TX :j1
06:30:27.201 RX =51C97E
06:30:27.201 TX :j2
06:30:27.217 RX =806CA2
06:30:27.414 TX :j1
06:30:27.430 RX =39C97E
06:30:27.430 TX :j2
06:30:27.446 RX =806CA2

Kind Regards Geoff Healey
Edit Reply Quote Report
Old 17-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Geoff,
I use exactly the same setup on my Heq5.
I’m running a Win10 laptop, CDC and EQMod.
I use a Keyspan usb>serial adaptor and have never experienced any dropouts or other issues. I also use a voltage converter 12v to 15v rated at 120w to power the mount. Again no issues, no low voltage etc. over the past ten years of use.
I’d recheck the cables (again), the power source, and USB connections.
What Synscan version do you use? I’m still using V3.27 - it works for me.
If I can help further or test anything for you, let me know.
Old 19-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Strawb (Dave)

I had this using the pc direct function until I ditched that for a dedicated usb EQDIR connector from sidereal. Works well now
Old 19-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Dave,
I'm surprised.....
What USB>serial adaptor were you using?
What version of Synscan?
Just interested to find out if there's a correlation.
Old 19-09-2018, 02:21 PM
Startrek (Martin)

It’s a comms related issue no doubt about it
Ditch the PC Direct method via USB serial devices and handcontroller and use EQ Direct method ( laptop/PC direct to mount using a shoestring USB2EQ5 cable ($75.00 from Bintel ) or online
I stuffed around for a month with the PC Direct method, purchased all types of USB serial devices and cables including the fabled Keyspan , had my eldest son who is a communications engineer muck around with it for days so ditched this method
EQMOD recommend the EQ Direct method which is what it was designed and engineered for.EQMOD take no responsibility for people choosing to use the PC Direct method as they themselves dont know how it works
As soon as I installed EQ Direct method absolutely no issue at all and I set up at 2 different sites, Sydney and south coast NSW
I still use my Synscan handcontroller to star align and polar align after which I disconnect and connect the EQDirect cable
I use Stellarium via StellariumScope for goto which is spot on after 3 or 4 alignment sync points and tracking is excellent
Please note: PC Direct mode via a USB serial device and the handcontroller does work for many people but it didn’t for me and I am happy to be EQMOD compliant knowing that it’s designed and engineered specifically for my Ascom compliant HEQ5 Pro Mount

My 2 cents worth ......
Old 19-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Martin,
I was the one that mentioned EQmod and the Synscan "PC Direct" not the OP.

It could be that he's just using the PC Direct and the "Ascom/ Celestron scope driver/ Synta Skywatcher Mount" settings, this also works to give computer control to the HEQ5 mount. (Note: This works for the prior V5 Celestron scope driver file)

The new Ascom SW driver (6.0.6262) is specifically for computer control of the SW mounts "Ascom/Skywatcher telescope/"
Quote""
This driver is for all mounts that use the Synta SkyWatcher SynScan controller, including those provided by Orion etc. It should work with both AltAz and GEM mounts. The SynScan Hand Controller version must be 3.38 or 4.38 or later to get full functionality but limited functionality should be available for all HC versions
Unquote""

I agree that when EQMod was original designed for the V2 Synscan SW driver systems that Chris highly recommended a EQDir connection for the EQMod.

I think things have come a long way since then and that the current V3/V4 Synscan "PC Direct" is far more robust and capable.
Just my 2c

EDIT: Whooops, I see that Geoff in his message title does mention EQMod......sorry for the confusion!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Celestron_V5_Ascom_telescope_driver.JPG)
100.6 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (SW_Ascom_telescope_driver.JPG)
85.8 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (EQMod_Ascom_telescope_driver.JPG)
115.9 KB17 views

Last edited by Merlin66; 19-09-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: correction