Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 10-05-2020, 06:30 AM
leon

Any effect on Data during transfers

Hi Guys, and Good Morning to all the Mum,s out there, Happy Mothers Day.

Just one question if i may on Data transfer.

Dose one lose and/or change Data from files being moved from one location on the Computer to another or to a USB or External HD.

I have a very large collection of Images that have not been processed as yet and have sorted out what i wanted to keep, deleted some and changed the names of the files, then transferred them to a external Drive for safe keeping.

If I move them again for instance will the Data always remain the same.

Thank You in Advance.

Leon
Old 10-05-2020, 07:55 AM
h0ughy (David)

Leon with your track record for tinkering with stuff I would say caution with what you do. As for transferring files, any time they are moved it is possible that they could be corrupted, especially when tinkered with. So copy over all of your original files, then tinker on a copy of them.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:09 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hi Leon,

I've been doing a lot of this recently due to playing computer "musical chairs". Your concern can be well founded. People like yourself worry about making a mistake through inexperience. People like myself are scared of making a mistake through lack of attention and presumption.

I'd suggest 4 simple points:

1. install an instance of Teracopy 3.2x
https://www.codesector.com/downloads

2. Always COPY, never MOVE Files. You want to make sure you have a copy of a file at each end of the equation (and they're good) before you clean up behind yourself.

3. Always copy to an empty location. Don't copy "on top of" existing data. which leads to point #4. This is an overly cautious choice. Later down the track, you may not need to abide by this.

4. Be consistent with your method. Set up 2 instances of "My Computer/Windows Explorer" whatever. Your Origin (FROM) being on the left, and Destination (TO), being on the right. This assumes you natively read from left to right. Do this every time. Select your files to be copied on the left window, select copy, then click in the right window and select paste, etc. Before you start copying, double check the locations in the address bar in each window.

With the above followed, you remove the human error in losing data. Sure, you can have bung disks, and that's another story. The beautiful thing about Teracopy, is that after the operation, it will tell you exactly which files did not copy, and perhaps why. Also, if it can't copy something, it will move on, and not halt the process. Great for those multi terabyte overnight jobs.

I hope this helps. Be excellent to yourself.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:59 PM
leon

Yes both answers were very helpful thank you, i will follow your suggestions
David I do tinker to much, but that is just me.

Leon