Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 17-05-2020, 03:09 AM
ariefm71 (Arief)

I’ll give it a shot at 450x in 1-2 months time
Old 19-05-2020, 08:13 PM
thebonz (John)

enche challenge

zambuto+ortho=encke

Last edited by thebonz; 19-05-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 19-05-2020, 10:14 PM
andyc (Andy)

Imaging-wise, Encke usually shows up for me on the ring ansae (attached is from 24th April, along with some of the polar storm), but I've not seen it visually yet! I don't spend enough time with the eyepiece rather than the ASI, but this challenge might encourage me to give it a shot next time there's good conditions. It would be an excellent challenge to see if it shows up well in the C14, as it ought to on a good night, according to the other observations reported here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (s2020-04-24-2004_3-ac-RRGB2.jpg)
34.8 KB139 views
Old 19-05-2020, 11:53 PM
billdan (Bill)

That;s beautiful Andy,

Did I read the specs correct 21mins RRGB?
Old 01-06-2020, 10:20 AM
glend (Glen)

It is June now, just over seven weeks till Saturn's opposition (21 July). Are people out there trying for the Encke Gap?
Old 04-06-2020, 08:00 PM
dreamstation (James)

I haven't had time unfortunately. Hoping to get a few nights in as I'd like to confirm or correct my previous posts that claimed that I had in fact seen it, for my own sake.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:44 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

I hope to give this a go in a couple of weeks when I spend some time in the Flinders Ranges.
However, for the record, I was up at Arkaroola in January 2007 at the first of several Astro camps that a couple of ASSA members and I organised (the only people silly enough to go to Arkaroola in January are Astronomers and German tourists... ). One night we were playing with the resident ETX125 at over 500x, and the seeing was the best I have ever seen. Saturn was rock solid and sharp even at that power, and the Encke gap was clearly visible...
Sorry, I can't recall the eyepiece used, I just recall it was over 500x.
So it is possible even with a small scope- but the seeing that night was ridiculous, and it is one of the darkest sites in Australia.
In fact, before the site for the AAT was decided testing was carried out at Mt Searle not far from Arkaroola by Dr A R Hogg (in 1965 I think), and it was rated a better site in terms of seeing and clear nights (almost double in fact) than the chosen Coonabarabran site. I think there is something like 100 days/year with sub arc-second seeing, and over 170 clear nights.
Well worth a visit if you haven't been there!

- Dean
Old 05-06-2020, 02:52 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Dean,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatch View Post
From post 27 on this thread:

However, for the record, I was up at Arkaroola in January 2007 at the first of several Astro camps that a couple of ASSA members and I organised (the only people silly enough to go to Arkaroola in January are Astronomers and German tourists... ). One night we were playing with the resident ETX125 at over 500x, and the seeing was the best I have ever seen. Saturn was rock solid and sharp even at that power, and the Encke gap was clearly visible...
Sorry, I can't recall the eyepiece used, I just recall it was over 500x.

- Dean
All I need say is ... congratulations Dean!

Best,

L.

Last edited by ngcles; 05-06-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 14-06-2020, 03:10 PM
glend (Glen)

Just a reminder that Sarurn's Opposition is just five weeks away and it is looming ever larger. If you are hunting the Encke Gap, now is the time to get serious, especially with the good weather predicted this week on the east coast, and the Moon waning to New by next Sunday. Good luck.
Old 16-06-2020, 12:36 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi All,

Just thought I'd share the fact that over the last three weeks, I've had five goes at a good study of Saturn around 1am with the 63.5cm that had been left to cool for a few hours on each occasion. It doesn't normally take a long time to cool as it lives in a metal shed where the 'scope and mirror in winter, is always pretty close to ambient temperature anyway. I have a fan on the rear cell.

Four of the five nights, the seeing/image was pretty good at x260 but soft at the next power up -- x347. Just took a look tonight in very good seeing when the image was mostly stable (8/10) at x347 but a bit soft for x446 (the next power up). I am certain I detected the Encke minima tonight but not the gap during about 20 minutes of viewing. I'd say/speculate for the 25", x347 is probably going to be the absolute minimum magnification for it to be seen but better, x446 or x520. Seeing conditions that permit such high magnification with a nice, stable image are fairly rare. For those interested, it is an f/5 with a Galaxy mirror by John Hudek with a Strehl of 0.94 and an RMS 1/28th wave. The central obstruction is 3.5" or 14%.

Best of luck with it everyone whatever you are observing with.

Best,

L.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:37 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

I'm looking forward to having a crack at this over the next couple of weeks...
Old 12-07-2020, 11:32 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Well I had a long look at Saturn last night, this morning with the 10' dob. The high alt overcast thinned out a lot and the seeing was better than I expected. Still no better than 5 /10 really and even though I pushed the mag. to 450X, there was no hope of seeing the Encke Div. and I very much doubt that unless the seeing is , at a minimum, 9 /10 there would be no chance with this size scope.
Being a push to dob and having to constantly nudge the scope certainly detracts from just concentrating on the view. I think it will take a lot more aperture and near perfect conditions to have any hope at all. I did read Les' attempts with his large newts and I don't think my scopes are even in the race, unfortunately.
Can I borrow some time with the 1 metre Cl. Cass at Pic Du Midi please.
I have noted that a lot of the images submitted to the ALPO taken with 14" SCTs' and 12" to 16" newts and DK and Mewlons, in good conditions do show the Encke.
Old 13-07-2020, 02:49 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Is that **really** the Encke gap?

Hi All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
... I have noted that a lot of the images submitted to the ALPO taken with 14" SCTs' and 12" to 16" newts and DK and Mewlons, in good conditions do show the Encke.
But do they? I'd argue they don't!

First up take a look at the following two images of Saturn. The first one is with Hubble, the second taken by the renowned amateur planetary imager Chris Go of The Philippines.

Note in the Hubble image how narrow the Encke gap is compared to the Cassini Division, it is truly tiny -- very, very narrow and less than 1/10th the width of Cassini.

Now look at the (top-colour) image by Chris Go. Here, what appears to be the Encke gap seems to be about half the width of the Cassini Division. Is Chris lying to us? Is this some sort of deception?

Not at all!

The detail portrayed is actually there in the data but it is vastly over-represented by excessive sharpening during image processing. In other words the broader, subtle undulations within the "A" ring that are now well known and were even commented upon by Encke himself back 200-odd years ago, that are in themselves very, very subtle are vastly over-represented by processing -- particularly over-sharpening.

This is what appears to make an image from a 35cm telescope that is seeing-limited (almost at sea-level) appear to reveal more abundant detail within the rings than even Hubble shows. Look at the two discs of the planet. Chris' image seems to clearly show much, much more banding and more clearly and contrasty than even Hubble -- using a humble C14! Again, I want to emphasise, this is not "lying" or a deception. It is merely displaying the data in a way that vastly over-emphasises and over-represents real but exceedingly subtle detail.

That's the first half of the story.

Here's the second half: Until about 30-odd years ago, back before amateurs were widely publishing these startling images, the Encke gap was claimed as a visual sighting, exceedingly rarely. Nowadays a lot of people are claiming it as being a reasonably regular sighting using what are pretty modest (20-30cm aperture) telescopes. The reason I'd suggest is the psychological effect caused by these images and their wide publication.

People see the image and what seems like the Encke gap so very clearly using moderate apertures and go into the challenge with the mind-set that this really isn't that hard. It just must be visible! On nights of truly good seeing, with that mind-set they catch glimpses of the undulations and their brain interprets that as the actual gap -- a false positive.

Here again I want to very, very clearly emphasise, most people aren't lying when reporting seeing the gap in moderate or smallish instruments at "relatively" low magnifications. They are either reporting a false positive or their brain is fooling them into believing they are actually seeing the gap based on the above. They truly want to join that "club" of people who have ticked it off the list and that desire more easily induces the false positive. Almsot exactly the same phenomena as the "canals" on Mars. Others "see" them, report them, others believe that they must similarly be able to see them and then suddenly they do. Even Percival Lowell fell into error this way!

For the record again (I might be wrong but I suspect not) even in a very high quality, exceptionally sharp visually optimised telescope, in exceptional seeing conditions the lower limit is going to be about the 30cm aperture mark at more than x350 -- better x500. Even then, the concurrence of quality instrument with very high quality conditions is going to occur maybe a few nights per five years of trying -- at best. Your chances are improved with increasing aperture over that 12" mark assuming it is quality aperture.

I remember a night about this time three years ago when I visited Lowell Observatory at Flagstaff Arizona using one of the highest quality planetary telescopes ever made, the 61cm f/11.3 Alvin Clark refractor. We spent about an hour on Saturn at about x400 with a 16mm Nagler. It was for me a highly memorable experience because looking through that particular telescope was a childhood dream. I also got to observe for the first time with a long-time idol and friend Brian Skiff.

The seeing was very good that night, between perhaps 8 and 9/10. Several seconds often passed between the image quivering. But, I still didn't see the Encke gap. The undulations in surface brightness within the "A" ring were certainly there, but no gap was apparent. Yes, it is that hard to see. It is no accident at all that the first telescope to show it was the mighty 36" Lick refractor at x910.

Despite what I've written above, I ask you (as I will) to keep and open mind and keep trying, but be very wary of false positives.

Best,

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (heic1814b.jpg)
67.5 KB82 views
Click for full-size image (106984771_3378642898837090_8174015527566039546_n.jpg)
60.2 KB76 views

Last edited by ngcles; 13-07-2020 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Forgot to add photos!
Old 13-07-2020, 09:35 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Thanks Les, I think your post explains the challenge well.

I am still at only two confident sightings of the Encke Gap despite having pointed the 18s at Saturn every chance I get since 2015, (and numerous other scopes previously without success).

The required conditions that allow the required magnification are simply too infrequent, or when they occur, Saturn is not ideally placed.
Old 13-07-2020, 12:01 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Isn't that part of the challenge though

If it was easy, it wouldn't be as fun. The added bonus is that we largely have little influence over whether we get to see it or not, other than a half decent scope in good order.
Old 13-07-2020, 12:20 PM
glend (Glen)

Les, thanks for that photo analysis, it certainly illustrates that in the case of cameras, as well as eyes, that seeing is not always believing. Whether adverted imagination, or selective processing of the Minima, we can be led to believe.
Old 14-07-2020, 12:46 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Isn't that part of the challenge though

If it was easy, it wouldn't be as fun. The added bonus is that we largely have little influence over whether we get to see it or not, other than a half decent scope in good order.
Exactly. Where is the challenge if your effort is of little consequence and the seeing, above all else, determines success? I pointed an observatory-mounted C14 and an 18" dob of decent quality at Saturn last night, two reasonably suitable instruments for this, and did not see it. To be clear, gaining access to the optics was a piece of p1ss, zero challenge in that (and nor should it be because that's what clubs are for). So what variables does that leave? My eyes and the seeing. And the latter is hardly ever good enough around here to allow the former so much as having a go in the first place.
Old 14-07-2020, 04:36 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Was atrocious here last night...usually I can run my finger through the Cassini Division but last night it was lost in the dancing blur
Old 15-07-2020, 10:39 AM
Spacecat

If you look at the Hubble and Chris Go pictures that Les Dalrymple posted , you may agree that Chris is not imaging Encke's division with the 14" at all . The sharpening algorithms/ routines create a succession of ghost rings at the edge of a dark and light boundary .

If you look at Chris's monochrome images of Saturn you will see a succession of three `rings' inside the edge of the outside A ring . They are about the same width and spacing but the first ring people assume is Encke's division is the darkest. Similarly if you look inside the Cassini division at the B ring you see similar dark ring then fainter ones of exactly the same amplitude and width of the rings in the A ring

Comparing then to the Hubble picture you see no such dark ring inside the Cassini division on the outside of the B ring . Also look at the outer most dark ring `Enckes' and see how it unnaturally swings in and merges with the next ring as you sweep around the front from the 7 to 5 o'clock position . The merged ring here just seems to neatly bisect the A ring . I'd suggest as these ghost artifacts work in both directions they are simply reinforcements from the artifacts from the edge of the A ring and the outside edge of the Cassini division .

Now compare to the Hubble shot again . The Enckes division in reality passes much closer at the 6 o'clock position to the the edge of Saturn's rings and should simply not be resolvable at all in amateur telescopes images .

If you search images online you see images taken with much smaller apertures than Chris's showing roughly what people assume is the Encke's division.

Years ago I read the booklet that came with Richard Berry's early imaging processing program and he warned of sharpening the planets to the point that you were creating `apparent' detail that wasn't real. I'd suggest that it is very tempting to sharpen images of Saturn to the point you are creating a lot of rings .

I also agree with Les about the potential for psychological bias created here in the willingness of the mind to see detail if you think it should be visible as the seeing looks really good . In this case the inadvertent deception is even more pronounced as I think that these smaller amateur telescopes are not actually imaging the Enckes division routinely anyway , but people get very used to seeing it appearance in almost every routine high quality image of Saturn made even with 6 and 8 " apertures .

The reports of experienced observers glimpsing the division in 18" to 25" apertures on a few occasions in their observing lives , with instruments of known high quality I do find entirely credible .
Old 15-07-2020, 10:44 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I gave it an attempt last night, although Saturn wasn’t moving a lot i was struggling to get a clear and defined Cassini let alone an Encke! The Mewlon had had a solid 5 hours of cooling by that stage but it was horribly dewy.