Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 16-04-2020, 07:38 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been out the last two night just with the DSLR. First night a fail as I did not notice the camera was at F16 and that didn't work well.
Last night tried a part of the Milky Way just to get things started.
Too many trees in the way of any decent targets but happily I am now waiting for a guy to come and cut down some trees.
I left important bits of the heq5 5 mount in Sydney so trying to sort out the old eq6..unfortunately the pier is a smidge out and I am a whisker away from good polar alignment ... I can fix it by making the holes in the base plate elongated..only need a couple of mm but main game is clearing some trees and too be able to see CSP.
Processing stuff from last night which is just stars but great to be out there at least.
Great idea Glen I hope to log in tonight and join the virtual star party.
I hope everyone are happy and healthy.
Alex
Old 16-04-2020, 08:30 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I have been out the last two night just with the DSLR. First night a fail as I did not notice the camera was at F16 and that didn't work well.
Last night tried a part of the Milky Way just to get things started.
Too many trees in the way of any decent targets but happily I am now waiting for a guy to come and cut down some trees.
I left important bits of the heq5 5 mount in Sydney so trying to sort out the old eq6..unfortunately the pier is a smidge out and I am a whisker away from good polar alignment ... I can fix it by making the holes in the base plate elongated..only need a couple of mm but main game is clearing some trees and too be able to see CSP.
Processing stuff from last night which is just stars but great to be out there at least.
Great idea Glen I hope to log in tonight and join the virtual star party.
I hope everyone are happy and healthy.
Alex
Thanks for checking in Alex. I hope you get it sorted out. Trees? I thought they had all burnt down in fire, or had been cutback to clear around your habitat? Is your observatory away from the house?
Old 16-04-2020, 08:52 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Thanks for checking in Alex. I hope you get it sorted out. Trees? I thought they had all burnt down in fire, or had been cutback to clear around your habitat? Is your observatory away from the house?
The observatory is as far away from the house as you can get on a square one hundred acre block..I have to go onto the main road to drive to the house. It feels like next door and me in small does is all they get.

The van observatory is by a nice dam and although trees were cleared for the site others need to go.

Plus a tree fell on my fire pump and into the dam so I need to sort that out.

Been very busy with a list of projects too long to mention..so I need an astronomy break.
Stacking 250 25 second subs at 3200 I so for a laugh with 50 dark frames just to see how it goes, of just what seemed an uninteresting patch and have not checked via the planetarium so it's like a discovery thing..a little fun.
I am outta the wheel chair and have acceptable mobility.
Alex
Old 16-04-2020, 09:03 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Centaurus A RGB

After my target went behind a tree and the moon came up I caught 45minutes of RGB high in the sky. Interesting how bringing up Centaurus always infuses the image with a brown glow but loses some star colour. A little fun and I should try some Ha on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Centaurus RGB 5x3ea.jpg)
179.5 KB48 views
Old 16-04-2020, 09:28 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Thanks Andy.

Interesting.

I suppose if you already have a great fast scope and camera, another $1000 US to get a result with less effort locked down in the city may not be too much.

Too much for me though.

Cheers
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiscd View Post
Hi all,
Cloudy again tonight so just data again to play with.
If anyone is interested i've heard the best reviews on this filter.
https://optcorp.com/products/radian-...d-ultra-filter.
They used it in Times Square and imaged the ring nebula!
Pretty expensive but its 4 filters in 1 (H-beta, OIII, H-alpha, and SII Band Passes). Cuts through any light pollution.
Anyway have a great night outside tonight and keep sharing.
Cheers
Andy
Old 16-04-2020, 09:57 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Thanks Andy.

Interesting.

I suppose if you already have a great fast scope and camera, another $1000 US to get a result with less effort locked down in the city may not be too much.

Too much for me though.
Cheers
Ray

Hi Ray
A bit too expensive for me also and no need as its normally bortle 1 here when the clouds open.
If light pollution keeps going down the same path filters like this may be the only way to image in the cities.

Good luck in getting Centaurus A in Ha

Cheers
Andy
Old 16-04-2020, 07:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

A bootifull night here. Clear reasonable seeing.
Doing a ruff polar align just with the camera pointing at CSP as I am going to try some wide field ..maybe ETA at 200 mm. Basically sorting things. But so nice to be out here and all this new sky with the trees gone.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 16-04-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 16-04-2020, 08:00 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
A bootifull night here. Clear reasonable seeing.
Doing a ruff polar align just with the camera pointing at CSP as I am going to try some wide field ..maybe ETA at 200 mm. Basically sorting things. But so nice to be out here and all this new sky with the trees gone.
Alex
Thanks for the update Alex. Hopefully more of us will be able to get started tonight as well. I am just waiting for some high cloud to disappear, but am confident it won't take too much longer.
Old 16-04-2020, 10:21 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Well, it was a decent early evening sky here in Canberra again. I was hoping to be out with new setup but ama few pieces short.

A couple of eyepieces did arrive, so i had some fun comparing the stock 20mm eyepiece in the loaner scope to the 13mm super plossl GSO and the 8-24 baader zoom. It was a good time! While looking at orion neb with the 13mm a satellite of some kind streaked past and i was able to follow it and adjusted focus to pin it before it went behind my house.

In terms of comparing eyepieces, the zoom was fun and the 13mm good, but it will take some time before i can really see a difference. The eye relief on both was a huge step up, though! Found the baader really comfortable.

Hope evwryone else got some good viewing and/or imaging time in!

JP
Old 16-04-2020, 10:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well it's been a great night, sorting out little things, be lucky if my photos turn out, but great to out here.
Tried the polemaster and it catches the top of the wall...maybe I can raise the mount to clear it tomorrow, the are a few threads on the bolts to raise it so we shall see.
Alex
Old 17-04-2020, 01:27 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah better night here than last night. I even took a few guided images
Old 17-04-2020, 03:23 AM
glend (Glen)

I have had a good night finally, as the cloud disappeared as hoped. Went out at 2:30am to begin testing my 8" Classical Cassegrain. The scope did not disappoint, and collimation was perfect, no tweaking required at all. Did star tests in various attitudes across the meridian and it was rock steady. Extra focus rings were perfect. So glad that was good.
Moved onto the line of planets in the eastern sky, starting with Jupiter, Saturn and the Mars. Best non- Barlowed views I have had, and detail was great, even pin point moons around them. Focus popped in fine. I was using a 2" 30mm Superview EP, then 20mm Superview, and 15mm Superview; equivalent of 81x, 121x, and 162x. I did try a 2x Televue Barlow but the sky conditions did not allow any improvement in detail. It was 17C with 74% humidity. In the hour and half I spent at the scope no fogging of the optics at all, it did certainly feel muggy with no breeze. A great first light result and I am very happy with this new scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF2206.jpg)
142.7 KB20 views

Last edited by glend; 17-04-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 17-04-2020, 02:28 PM
glend (Glen)

Looks like another clear night here in NSW. Let's keep the VSP going. It sounds like Alex will be ready to go tonight, after his chainsaw mods to the observatory. Don't forget the comfortable chair and refreshments. Photos please.
Old 17-04-2020, 05:05 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

I am joining tonight. Last night the seeing and transparency were dreadful here in the southern highlands of NSW. Maybe better tonight. So for double star observers the target will be omega (2) Leo. Mag 5/7 at less than one arc second, let us know how you go, with scope details and magnification.
Old 17-04-2020, 05:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The clouds have been unkind.
Alex
Old 17-04-2020, 06:56 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
I am joining tonight. Last night the seeing and transparency were dreadful here in the southern highlands of NSW. Maybe better tonight. So for double star observers the target will be omega (2) Leo. Mag 5/7 at less than one arc second, let us know how you go, with scope details and magnification.
John, that target is blocked by a tree to the north of my location. Care to nominate an alternate to the east or south?
Old 17-04-2020, 08:21 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Clear here in Thirroul but very windy. PHD is unhappy. Not the night to try out a 2.1m high pier . Trying some different settings on the usual targets.
Old 17-04-2020, 08:53 PM
glend (Glen)

I have been clouded out tonight I think. Too bad the day was so nice. Looking at the sat photo from the Bureau it looks like a front is moving up the coast.
Old 17-04-2020, 09:30 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Tonight i joined the list of people to have held a glimmer of hope that their first night with new set up would run smoothly, only to head inside with tail firmly between legs.

Got the last few pieces (incl mount) off my set up this arvo and did my best to get ready for a night of wonder and amazement. I think i did some things well, some obviously not so well because after about 15 tries, the alignment on my mount only seemed to be getting worse. I switched it off, put the camera on, took a few 30s exposures at iso 800 and 1600... blackness.

BUT there were definitely some positives too. I loved it. I didn't lose anything. I used almost everything. There were a loot of firsts. I didn't break anything (that i know of). I felt like i was part of the real crew, eventhough i wasn't actually getting anything done.

Anyway, i have a thousand questions, I'll put them in my beginners equipment thread ����
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_17042020_222933_(529_x_800_pixel).jpg)
181.3 KB28 views
Old 17-04-2020, 10:46 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Bad luck with the gear. Those sorts of things happen.

My mount refused to connect with eqmod so I tried the hand control.
Power but no connection. A lot of jiggling and some abrading of the RJ port wires seemed to get it working but time was lost. Second hand gear and living by the coast.

I was able to test some camera settings in the wind at least before closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Tonight i joined the list of people to have held a glimmer of hope that their first night with new set up would run smoothly, only to head inside with tail firmly between legs.

Got the last few pieces (incl mount) off my set up this arvo and did my best to get ready for a night of wonder and amazement. I think i did some things well, some obviously not so well because after about 15 tries, the alignment on my mount only seemed to be getting worse. I switched it off, put the camera on, took a few 30s exposures at iso 800 and 1600... blackness.

BUT there were definitely some positives too. I loved it. I didn't lose anything. I used almost everything. There were a loot of firsts. I didn't break anything (that i know of). I felt like i was part of the real crew, eventhough i wasn't actually getting anything done.

Anyway, i have a thousand questions, I'll put them in my beginners equipment thread ����