Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-04-2020, 11:02 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Err no. It is bolted on with some 8mm bolts to the 8mm plates. The G clamp is just to hold it while I get the bolts in .

It is a long way up. Need some scaffolding really or build a platform. The picking ladders with platform are too expensive.

I have some tube braces from the slab up to the top of the pier to control vibration now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Holy cow Ray! Is that mount held on the bracket with a C-clamp?
Old 14-04-2020, 11:50 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Actually using the short pier tonight . More my size and a little more solid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (037F0DC7-ECD5-4ABC-ADB2-D633E0A9575D.jpeg)
183.1 KB66 views

Last edited by Sunfish; 14-04-2020 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 15-04-2020, 07:56 AM
rrussell1962

Nice evening yesterday. First look of the year at the galaxies in Virgo and Coma.
Old 15-04-2020, 02:26 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Great idea Glen

Was nice and clear here last night, with the odd fluffy drifting in off the ocean.

With the Moon just below the roofline, I had a quick live stacking session with a few globs in Ophiuchus and Scorpius.

Here's M19...10 mins of 15s shots. Living in the 'burbs, light pollution is a bit of a nightmare so I used a R-IR planetary filter (Astronomik ProPlanet 642) to try and minimise it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dunk-M19-live10m.jpg)
87.4 KB49 views
Old 15-04-2020, 03:36 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Great idea Glen

Was nice and clear here last night, with the odd fluffy drifting in off the ocean.

With the Moon just below the roofline, I had a quick live stacking session with a few globs in Ophiuchus and Scorpius.

Here's M19...10 mins of 15s shots. Living in the 'burbs, light pollution is a bit of a nightmare so I used a R-IR planetary filter (Astronomik ProPlanet 642) to try and minimise it.
Dunk, we can always find something in the sky, although I will concede that Bribane is a challenge. That filter seems to work ok. Do you have any images with high HA content, where this filter might really help?.
For those interested in that filters landmass, details are here:

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/as...v=322b26af01d5
Old 15-04-2020, 03:39 PM
JA

Clouds in Melbourne are going strong. It will be a while before we southerners can join the party.

Best
JA
Old 15-04-2020, 05:59 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Dunk, we can always find something in the sky, although I will concede that Bribane is a challenge. That filter seems to work ok. Do you have any images with high HA content, where this filter might really help?.
For those interested in that filters landmass, details are here:

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/as...v=322b26af01d5
I do indeed...see attached. Obviously, a bit more challenging than a reasonably bright glob, but still not too bad for 10 minutes. FWIW, my dark subtraction didn't work so well on this one

I should add that my newt dewed up at some point and I don't exactly know when. M19 was my first target and was quite low in the sky at the time, whereas NGC6357 was later and higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dunk-NGC6357-live10m.jpg)
184.5 KB43 views
Old 15-04-2020, 06:09 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

And then there is the obligatory Lagoon...

Stars are a bit off in this one, must have had a few frames that skewed it (was using just the average stacking)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dunk-M8-live10m.jpg)
185.7 KB44 views
Old 15-04-2020, 07:20 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi all,
Cloudy again tonight so just data again to play with.
If anyone is interested i've heard the best reviews on this filter.
https://optcorp.com/products/radian-...d-ultra-filter.
They used it in Times Square and imaged the ring nebula!
Pretty expensive but its 4 filters in 1 (H-beta, OIII, H-alpha, and SII Band Passes). Cuts through any light pollution.
Anyway have a great night outside tonight and keep sharing.
Cheers
Andy
Old 15-04-2020, 08:59 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Beautiful clear night on the coast at Thirroul.
More monkeying around on NGC 2467

Dithering at 3 seems to reduce the pattern noise in an hour of Ha but not there yet.

V1 : RHaGB AND V2 : HaGB +R as L
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 2467 54RH+GB dither 3.jpg)
167.6 KB60 views
Click for full-size image (NGC 2467 HGB+RL dither 3.jpg)
200.0 KB55 views
Old 15-04-2020, 09:07 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiscd View Post
Hi all,
Cloudy again tonight so just data again to play with.
If anyone is interested i've heard the best reviews on this filter.
https://optcorp.com/products/radian-...d-ultra-filter.
They used it in Times Square and imaged the ring nebula!
Pretty expensive but its 4 filters in 1 (H-beta, OIII, H-alpha, and SII Band Passes). Cuts through any light pollution.
Anyway have a great night outside tonight and keep sharing.
Cheers
Andy
Well Andy, sorry you are clouded out. Thanks for your good wishes.

Hmmm, that is a pretty expensive filter. Cuts through any LP eh? And Hydrogen Beta and OIII are both in the visible band at Blue and Green (turquoise) wave lengths respectively. Perhaps the lights were out in Times Square. Don't believe everything you read in ads.
Old 15-04-2020, 09:11 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Beautiful clear night on the coast at Thirroul.
More monkeying around on NGC 2467

Dithering at 3 seems to reduce the pattern noise in an hour of Ha but not there yet.

V1 : RHaGB AND V2 : HaGB +R as L
Ray what camera are you using? I actually prefer the second one. I used to use an extra Ha layer as L but dial opacity back abit. There is always alot of artistic expression available in narrowband. Don't be afraid to experiment.
Old 15-04-2020, 09:13 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Had a clear window for about an hour just now. I upgraded my set up to include a chair, which made a world of difference

Just used the binoculars tonight, which i think are nikon monark 5 8x42. I lingered on the southern pleiades and omicron velorum cluster, both looked nice, the latter in a much darker part of the sky.
I took my glasses off and used the focus on the bins to overcome my rubbish eyesight and i am glad to report that it was a much better experience
Was sipping on a single barrel buffalo trace whiskey, starting to feel good to have something warm.

In other news, I've got tracking numbers for all parts of the new kit, should all arrive tomorow and hopefully I'll get far enough with setup in the arvo to take a look at something and report back this time tomorrow
Old 15-04-2020, 09:38 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Thanks Glen,
Using an uncool asi 1600 which last night was at 5 degrees with a little home made heat sink.

The additional L layer is a little more interesting I agree but as I am using Nebulosity to combine , the result is not very polished. Not sure how to change opacity unless I recombine in PS but it could be useful.

Quote:
Ray what camera are you using? I actually prefer the second one. I used to use an extra Ha layer as L but dial opacity back abit. There is always alot of artistic expression available in narrowband. Don't be afraid to experiment.
Old 15-04-2020, 09:49 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Thanks Glen,
Using an uncool asi 1600 which last night was at 5 degrees with a little home made heat sink.

The additional L layer is a little more interesting I agree but as I am using Nebulosity to combine , the result is not very polished. Not sure how to change opacity unless I recombine in PS but it could be useful.
Yeah Ray, I used Photoshop for my layering which gives good control over that. The 1600 should be pretty clean, even uncooked.
Old 15-04-2020, 09:53 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Had a clear window for about an hour just now. I upgraded my set up to include a chair, which made a world of difference

Just used the binoculars tonight, which i think are nikon monark 5 8x42. I lingered on the southern pleiades and omicron velorum cluster, both looked nice, the latter in a much darker part of the sky.
I took my glasses off and used the focus on the bins to overcome my rubbish eyesight and i am glad to report that it was a much better experience
Was sipping on a single barrel buffalo trace whiskey, starting to feel good to have something warm.

In other news, I've got tracking numbers for all parts of the new kit, should all arrive tomorow and hopefully I'll get far enough with setup in the arvo to take a look at something and report back this time tomorrow
Sound like a nice way to spend the evening, a good chair is essential. What is the new gear your waiting for? I am waiting as well, for my 8" Classic Cassegrain which is due here tomorrow. Hope to have it working tomorrow night's session.
Old 15-04-2020, 10:16 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Sound like a nice way to spend the evening, a good chair is essential. What is the new gear your waiting for? I am waiting as well, for my 8" Classic Cassegrain which is due here tomorrow. Hope to have it working tomorrow night's session.
oh, nice! I hope you can get it happening in time for tomorrow night

I've got a skywatcher 8" F5 newt and HEQ5 mount coming, along with a baader hyperion zoom eyepiece, T-ring for my camera and a bunch of other nic-nacs.

I've never had any kind of telescope before, so the set up (polar aligning the mount in particular) may take me a while to get the hang of. Still, I reckon if it comes to it, I'll hug the newt like a bag pipe and point it at something just to say I've used it
Old 15-04-2020, 10:39 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
oh, nice! I hope you can get it happening in time for tomorrow night

I've got a skywatcher 8" F5 newt and HEQ5 mount coming, along with a baader hyperion zoom eyepiece, T-ring for my camera and a bunch of other nic-nacs.

I've never had any kind of telescope before, so the set up (polar aligning the mount in particular) may take me a while to get the hang of. Still, I reckon if it comes to it, I'll hug the newt like a bag pipe and point it at something just to say I've used it
JP, I have an 8" f5 Newt, they are a very forgiving scope, a good choice as a general all rounder. I assume you have done some reading on aligning a mount, but if not there should be instructions with it. If you get stuck just raise it here and we can help you out. Good luck.
Old 16-04-2020, 01:03 AM
PaulSthcoast (Paul)

Time to join the party !

Hi everyone,

I am in day 2 of self isolation and decided to join the party.

A word of thanks to all those who have sold items to me
over the past 14 months, you may well see your old gear
being given new light though this thread.

My rig for tonight.

Orion was my target, images to follow soon.

An update of things...

The night was wonderful and it was great to share some communication
with a few other members over the hours who also spent the time enjoying it.

Had some Issues with PA, but worked with what I had, and it was a great
opportunity just to get out and try new things.

One sub added for a sample of field of view.

M42, The Great Orion nebulae.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (8 inch f4 (4).jpg)
208.8 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (200415195020.jpg)
132.7 KB43 views

Last edited by PaulSthcoast; 19-04-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: update
Old 16-04-2020, 08:11 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Quote:
Well Andy, sorry you are clouded out. Thanks for your good wishes.

Hmmm, that is a pretty expensive filter. Cuts through any LP eh? And Hydrogen Beta and OIII are both in the visible band at Blue and Green (turquoise) wave lengths respectively. Perhaps the lights were out in Times Square. Don't believe everything you read in ads.
Hi Glen
I didn't read the add I watched the footage by Steven Swancoat (filmmaker) and what David Nagler (Televue) , Dustin Gibson (OPT telescopes), Trevor Jones (Astrobackyard) have said about this filter.
Its like doing narrow band imaging but instead of 4 filter changes just 1 change. Also you technically get 4x the imaging time as there is only 1 filter.
For mono people are using it a a luminance channel.
I was surprised about the Times Square thing too but after listening to podcasts and seeing footage of the outreach programs I have changed my mind. The first time they set up they got closed down by the Anti Terrorism Squad because they forgot to notify anyone about setting up a heap of telescopes and imaging gear. The next time they did the right thing and got the paperwork lodged. Hundreds of people who new nothing about the sky had to pick their jaws of the pavement and kept checking the scopes to see if they were really seeing correct.
Anyway hope you all had a great veiwing last night. Might get a quick one early tonight before the clouds come back.
Cheers to all.
Andy