Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-05-2020, 07:31 AM
etill (Elliot)

M16 eagle nebula through the fog

I have recently got a secondhand QHY10 cooled OSC camera that I have been working on getting setup with an OAG and Baader MPCC. I just need to move the OAG 1mm forward by adjusting some spacers and I should have the 55mm from the sensor plus the guide camera in focus with the main camera. It's taken a few nights fiddling so I thought I'd just take some subs with the old guider setup.

I didn't check the forecasts so wasn't aware of the conditions so out of 60 subs I had to toss the last 20.

40 x 180sec @ -10c
20 flats
Darks and bias from a standard library I built already, which seems like a great benefit of cooled cameras.
The flats were an unexpected challenge - images take about 20 secs each to download which at dawn resulted in rapidly increasing median values. Had to do a few sets then pick those that matched. A light box has been added to the list of things i need.

All captured with N.I.N.A - but I forgot to enable dithering, guiding with PHD2 was terrible. Processing in PixInsight was just a little sharpening of bright areas with multiscale linear transform and contrast improvement with the HDR multiscale process. I had real trouble converting this one to jpeg, lost almost all the dynamic range and had to tweak it again with curves transform.

I'm pretty happy for a first effort with a new camera, especially given the conditions. Also pretty excited to move the Canon 60D over to an ED120 reflector that was recently aquired as well, yet to take that one for a spin though
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M16.jpg)
149.5 KB31 views