Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-03-2020, 10:25 AM
leee (Thomas)

Goggle - and it 'workings' re- covid19

https://www.zdnet.com/video/decades-...9-coronavirus/

Last edited by leee; 16-03-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 16-03-2020, 11:57 AM
bojan
amateur

This simulation is also interesting
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/
Old 16-03-2020, 03:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I can't get the video at the moment but I will keep at it.
I am discussing some rather blizzar uninformed ideas elsewhere so I find I am fascinated by the virus...all virus moreover...what they are etc
I speculated it may be a mutant cell that took what it needed to reproduce and became the ultimate blood sucker.
Fascinating and thanks again for the very timely post.
My interest is more general than specific to the current concerns.
Addition by way of edit.
It seems that a virus and bacterial shared a common ancestor.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 16-03-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 17-03-2020, 07:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have just now returned from the local Woolies super market..two days ago it was relatively normal but there was no toilet paper..today, two days later...no frozen veggies, no tinned veggies, long life milk all gone but lite milk Up for 35% up in price..no meat, appart from a pack of sausages and burger patties that I jumped on...what a win..no flour other than two little bags of spelt...ok spelt it is...hardly any eggs...
Now what I did find really odd was two workers emptying all the magnums (ice creams) they had two trolleys full..maybe they did the same with the frozen veggies...so as I went around spending two or three fold my normal shop and buying a leg of Ham when it's not Christmas I wondered are we being manipulated somehow? Don't get me wrong I understand it is serious but why are they taking the magnums out of the fridge.
They have a pensioners hour tomorrow and my view is they are only leaving stock on the self that can't be sold. I bet there may be a price gouge between 7 and 8 am
.I bought stuff today at 30% up and happy to do so..and I am not worried. Imagine how folk who are totally panicked are paying for crap.

Anyways the good news..most shares enjoyed a 10% jump today..expect a fall tomorrow however...I wish I had some cash...blue chips have potential to recover 30%or more on some cases...traders must be making a fortune on short selling..but really could they influence the media to generate the fear that makes short selling work.
And the losses...someone pockets the cash on a sale or a short sell...what of them? Praying for more bad news no doubt.
Compulsory masks is the only answer..three weeks it will be passed...I am making like a KKK hood but with flat lens and Spider man motif...I plan to make masks the ultimate fashion statement...masks for three weeks all over remember...what only three week off short selling...the greedy want more than three weeks.
Alex
Old 18-03-2020, 12:38 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Alex, dont bother with the so called special times for us oldies, went to WW this morning at 7.15 and the shelves were as bare as the day before, nothing at all stocked during the night, so I reckon we are being fed a load of crud, there are most definitely stock issues thanks to greedy pr1cks raiding the shelves to suit their own selfish needs. Never knew there were so many ancients living in my area. seriously they came out of the woodwork. Absolutely no mince to be had anywhere, seriously who buys so much mince, probably freezing it. The local butcher sold 300kg the day before and he was empty as well.
Old 18-03-2020, 11:26 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

There are the stupid hoarders, but guess what? Think of all the cafes and restaurants closing. All those people that would have been eating out now need to get their food from elsewhere, and that means raiding the supermarket, so more items than normal would be taken anyway. Add to that the possibility of being isolated for 14 days and therefore prepared for that.
Old 18-03-2020, 12:39 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Alex, dont bother with the so called special times for us oldies, went to WW this morning at 7.15 and the shelves were as bare as the day before, nothing at all stocked during the night, so I reckon we are being fed a load of crud, there are most definitely stock issues thanks to greedy pr1cks raiding the shelves to suit their own selfish needs. Never knew there were so many ancients living in my area. seriously they came out of the woodwork. Absolutely no mince to be had anywhere, seriously who buys so much mince, probably freezing it. The local butcher sold 300kg the day before and he was empty as well.
As someone said the other day, if the electricity grid becomes compromised due to lack of healthy workers, think of all those wasted, spoiled perishables sitting in hoarders fridges and freezers.

Woolworths here are now confiscating people's trolley loads if it appears to be hoarders. MANY trolleys full of stuff sitting all around WW as they put the items back on the shelves. Watched as they stopped a woman this morning with 5 bags of cat litter, every conceivable pack of sausages there and around 20 bottles of soda water. She was so embarrassed she just complied. I didn't think Australians were that blooy selfish and stupid, but appears I am wrong.

I got packages from China today, so that's started up again. But oh no, the sky is faling and chicken-littles continue to cut and paste articles off the web saying we are all going to die (with never an independant thought of their own added). Like lemmings to a cliff...
Old 18-03-2020, 01:21 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
This simulation is also interesting
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/
Thanks B,

That's a clever way to visualise it; however, only one crit: they don't model any black or stationary dots, if you get my drift.

Best
JA
Old 18-03-2020, 06:42 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

All mail out of Europe stopped. (my latest toy out of Poland was returned to the sender today, so at least I know where it is till this all blows over in 14, 30 or 60 days...)

Canberra is like a ghost town between 0915 and 1600. Not the best choice of descriptors eh

3 cases only in ACT, nil deaths. Latest is a 70 y.o woman, so here's hoping she'll be OK.(https://www.cmtedd.act.gov.au/open_g...ase-in-the-act)

Wife's work already starting to retrench non-permanent staff - this is going to get really nasty!

Last edited by LewisM; 18-03-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 20-03-2020, 08:12 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

@Lewis: Sorry to hear about the delay - wondering what toy would that be Lewis

Been to Canberra a few times and it always seemed a bit like a ghost town
Old 20-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Went to order some ascorbic acid yesterday from usual ebay supplier, the price doubled, so I sent them a message about gauging, they said it was their suppliers fault, 100% yeah right, managed to get it from another ebayer for price I previously paid. Scumbags..