Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

DY CRUCIS and MIMOSA

Was looking to split a bunch of doubles including Beta Crucis, the 2nd brightest star in the Southern Cross as I did a few years back ..When I could not help, once again being struck at how RED, DY CRUCIS (A Carbon Star ) is.

No its not the reddest , V Hydrae maybe to me..but its contrast against the white primary of Mimosa is a sight for anyone..it looks as if it is part of this difficult double, but its not, at 1min of arc away.
I will report back if I can split Mimosa in a 6inch doublet at f5 and Baader Fringe KILLER. Mimosa 2010 PA was 326° and Sep was 42.6", but primary a glaring Mag 1.28 .. with companion 11.4; a delta Mag of 10.12!

Now this is going to be tough in the city, may try in my semi rural location.
bigjoe

Last edited by bigjoe; 02-01-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Add
Old 02-01-2018, 10:14 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Splitting Mimosa from Sydney sounds like a big challenge Joe. Are you going to try early morning or wait a few months as it must be quite low in your sky? If you cannot see the companion, I would try without the Fringe Killer as it robs you of some light. Good luck and I will be interested to hear how you go.

I agree the contrasting Mimosa and DY Cruxis is a fine sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Was looking to split a bunch of doubles including Beta Crucis, the 2nd brightest star in the Southern Cross as I did a few years back ..When I could not help, once again being struck at how RED, DY CRUCIS (A Carbon Star ) is.

No its not the reddest , V Hydrae maybe to me..but its contrast against the white primary of Mimosa is a sight for anyone..it looks as if it is part of this difficult double, but its not, at 1min of arc away.
I will report back if I can split Mimosa in a 6inch doublet at f5 and Baader Fringe KILLER. Mimosa 2010 PA was 326° and Sep was 42.6", but primary a glaring Mag 1.28 .. with companion 11.4; a delta Mag of 10.12!

Now this is going to be tough in the city, may try in my semi rural location.
bigjoe
Old 02-01-2018, 10:23 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Splitting Mimosa from Sydney sounds like a big challenge Joe. Are you going to try early morning or wait a few months as it must be quite low in your sky? If you cannot see the companion, I would try without the Fringe Killer as it robs you of some light. Good luck and I will be interested to hear how you go.

I agree the contrasting Mimosa and DY Cruxis is a fine sight.
Hi Steve ..Yes Im getting up early around 430 am to have a look..Yes, I thought the Fringe Killer may help with glare , Halation etc from the very bright primary ..but as you suggest maybe not needed!

Will report back; having a look at midnight.
PS: I will be purchasing a doublet or triplet of about or over 130mm, to deal with these difficult denizens of the night sky!
bigjoe.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:42 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Might have to give this one a try later in the week when the moon isn't so bright and a promise of clear skies for the weekend. Either with the 150mm f6.5 achro or the 127mm triplet when I've finished imaging for the night, from the club semi rural site.
Couldn't find the secondary star listed in Cambridge Atlas or Sissy Haas books but is in Burnhams' at 11 mag. and 44.3 sep. Will be an interesting exercise, shall report back later.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Might have to give this one a try later in the week when the moon isn't so bright and a promise of clear skies for the weekend. Either with the 150mm f6.5 achro or the 127mm triplet when I've finished imaging for the night, from the club semi rural site.
Couldn't find the secondary star listed in Cambridge Atlas or Sissy Haas books but is in Burnhams' at 11 mag. and 44.3 sep. Will be an interesting exercise, shall report back later.
Strange that isnt it..no listing!
After looking at nearby, amazing Gamma Volantis this is a different beast.

Please do Jeff..cloudy here in Concord Sydney .will pass till morrow night if no clouds.
bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 03-01-2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Add
Old 03-01-2018, 01:33 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Re Mimosa

Looks like bad weather again ..maybe weekend.
bigjoe.