Old 03-06-2011, 06:16 AM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post

Welcome to IIS Jason
Im guessing Shelley has turned you into an astro geek too
Nice work Shelley
Be careful of being with that Brissy lot they will drag you over to the dark side
I couldn't help it! Was bound to happen sooner or later

Plus the dark side has J's chocolate cup cakes, how can I resist
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Welcome aboard, Jason.

H
Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 AM
oosh (Jason)
Citizen of the Cosmos

Thanks for the warm welcome H Nice sounding kit in your sig mate, at least the bits towards the bottom that make sense to me (and oh how I adore the hdr hole graph)
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I'm a staunch member of the anti-HDR alliance. I give PSA's every now and then. Ask Shelley.

And, yeah, nice gear. I like to think I make the most of it, too.

Look forward to chatting photography over in the terrestrial imaging section -- I spam there quite a bit.

Cheers.

H
Old 03-06-2011, 03:51 PM
oosh (Jason)
Citizen of the Cosmos

Awesome mate - I'll be kicking about there too
Old 04-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Jason

I was just having a browse through your website, awesome stuff indeed.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 PM
oosh (Jason)
Citizen of the Cosmos

Thanks for taking a look Ric Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll have some astro stuff too add
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Waterfalls, Jason You've won me! Nice images. Eric
Old 05-06-2011, 02:10 PM
oosh (Jason)
Citizen of the Cosmos

Cheers Eric, really appreciate it. Got more waterfall images to add from our Viccy trip when I get around to it
Old 26-07-2011, 11:32 PM
lone77star (Carl)
Alpha Centauri Bound

New to IceInSpace

Howdy! I'm new to the forum, but not new to astronomy.

To introduce myself, I've been star gazing and wondering about what's out there since the mid-50's. I love space and star talk.

I've been a space artist even producing background art for a Hollywood short film (Quest, 1984, Saul Bass & Ray Bradbury). I have a bachelor's degree summa cum laude in computer information technology and my one claim to fame there is producing 3D astronomy software, "Stars in the NeighborHood." I had been wanting to visualize our neighborhood of stars for years, first producing interstellar distance tables on my TI-64 programmable calculator.

I've also published a novel on space travel, "Touch the Stars: Emergence" (Tor Books, 1983, co-authored by John Dalmas).

I love to discuss, planets (especially the possibility of Earth-like worlds), astrophysics, observational astronomy, and exobiology. I also like science fiction, especially the interstellar travel kind.
Old 26-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

gday Carl nice work you do there buddy

to IIS its a lovely place these forums
Old 27-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Welcome to IIS Carl

Hope you have a great time here with us.
Old 27-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Welcome Carl to IIS.

Yep all them topics you mention will get a lot of discussion happening.

Enjoy your stay and put your feet up.

Cheers Kev.
Old 27-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Ray?

As a new member, I'd just like to say hi to all. I don't want to babble on too much about myself, other than to say that I've mainly pursued general photography as a full/part-time professional (not my main job now), and recently decided to tackle my long time interest in the universe, space and the like, by acquiring some simple gear with which to photograph the former.

Thanks to the exceptional exchange rate, I was able to buy the latest Meade Coronado Goto Telescope Mount with Autostar 497 controller, at what I consider to be a bargain basement price delivered from the US. Now I know that's not the greatest device in the world, but it has given me the impetus to really get into astrophotography with its impressive database and I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from the forum on how to get the best out what I have available.

I don't have a telescope as such, but I will be using a Perkin-Elmer built Vivitar Series 1 600mm solid cat lens (small Hubble telescope on the ground ), with tele-extenders and DSLR, to record what I can of near and (not so) far objects. Hopefully I can keep things reasonably under control and take small steps at a time.

I look forward to participating in the forum.

Cheers

Ray
Old 31-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Currumbin sky (Dave)

Hi to everyone, to be honest I feel a tad humble amongst such knowledgeable people here on the forums.
I was a UFO believer way back in the 70's and used to scan the night sky with my trusty tasco 70mm or was that 60mm?
It had wobbly eight or so inch tripod legs, which I mounted on the plastic garden table.
Iam a few years older now and have bought a 8inch saxon dobsonian with 25mm and 10mm plossal eyepiece and a 8* 50 finderscope.
First try last night at approx 4 in the morning ,25mm eyepiece was giving clear views of stars, but when I switched to 10mm, the view was terrible.
As well as being dimmer the view was blurry and very dissapointing...mars through the 25mm eyepiece was very indistinct and far away, but through the 10mm it was worse.
I checked the collamation with a out of focus star test and it seemed ok, but why would the 10mm eyepiece be so out of focus ..if 25mm was ok?
This is the biggest scope i have ever viewed through, the stars with the 25mm piece were good, though i have nothing to compare it with except my 10 * 50 pentax binoculars, which seemed to be brighter thaan the 10mm eyepiece and must sharper.
Any help on this would be appreciated, as Iam thinking I may have got a dud eyepiece.
The overall experience though through the 25mm, was like finding a lost true friend after decades.

Last edited by Currumbin sky; 31-07-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Dave,
It is very common for a big jump from a 25 to a 10 eyepiece to produce crap results.
Even happens with my TeleVue Nagler 9mm often.
Reason is generally due to "poor seeing" conditions, atmospheric disturbances are magnified so much, especially if low in the sky.

Simply means you should try another eyepiece in between, or perhaps a barlow lens on the 25.
Also you could try observing objects when they are close to zenith.
Alternatively, wait for better conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currumbin sky View Post
Hi to everyone, to be honest I feel a tad humble amongst such knowledgeable people here on the forums.
I was a UFO believer way back in the 70's and used to scan the night sky with my trusty tasco 70mm or was that 60mm?
It had wobbly eight or so inch tripod legs, which I mounted on the plastic garden table.
Iam a few years older now and have bought a 8inch saxon dobsonian with 25mm and 10mm plossal eyepiece and a 8* 50 finderscope.
First try last night at approx 4 in the morning ,25mm eyepiece was giving clear views of stars, but when I switched to 10mm, the view was terrible.
As well as being dimmer the view was blurry and very dissapointing...mars through the 25mm eyepiece was very indistinct and far away, but through the 10mm it was worse.
I checked the collamation with a out of focus star test and it seemed ok, but why would the 10mm eyepiece be so out of focus ..if 25mm was ok?
This is the biggest scope i have ever viewed through, the stars with the 25mm piece were good, though i have nothing to compare it with except my 10 * 50 pentax binoculars, which seemed to be brighter thaan the 10mm eyepiece and must sharper.
Any help on this would be appreciated, as Iam thinking I may have got a dud eyepiece.
The overall experience though through the 25mm, was like finding a lost true friend after decades.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi Dave
I used an 8" dob for a few months before moving to the 12". Using the same 2 eyepieces I would estimate that i had the 10mm in the focuser less than 5% of the time. With the plossls that come with these scopes anything shorter than 15mm is very hard to use and needs perfect conditions.
In my 12" I have a 13mm TV Nagler and a 24mm TV Panoptic which are both magnificent eyepieces, although a significant step up from the plossls, even the 13mm needs pretty good conditions to give nice views.
There almost certainly isn't anything wrong with the EP, just persevere with the 25mm, I did almost the entire Messier list with one in the 8"!

Malcolm
Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Currumbin sky (Dave)

Thanks from a newcomer for advice given by members on the eyepiece problems.
I'm going to set the scope up again tonight, there are clear skys and a interesting moon I have been told.
Hopefully the viewing conditions will see an improvement in the 10mm eyepiece.
Regardless Iam hooked once again after a long parting.
Bring on the night.
Old 23-08-2011, 02:08 AM
hewitt12 (Tony)

Smile

Hello everyone. It's so nice to have the opportunity to join this community.
Old 23-08-2011, 03:47 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewitt12 View Post
Hello everyone. It's so nice to have the opportunity to join this community.
Hi Tony,
Let me be the first to say Its a pleasure to welcome you to this community.
Feel free to ask questions and join us at an observing night near you soon.