Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 29-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

RA or DEC motor for Celestron Adv GT or CGEM

I have bought a used Celestron Adv GT mount & unfortunately, despite testing before purchase, it looks as though the encoder on the DEC motor is stuffed...

I've posted this here rather than a wanted ad because, I'm not convinced that anyone looks particularly closely at the wanted ads.

I have already carried out fault finding, swapping motors over & I am 90% convinced this is the problem..

I would rather not spend nearly $300 on a brand new motor because I cannot say for certain yet that this is the only issue (or though more than likely it is)..

So, has anyone out there got an old Adv GT or CGEM mount that has a functioning RA or DEC motor that they know the encoder is working on that would be willing perhaps to loan it to me in the first instance (so I can make sure it is the only problem) with a view to purchasing it from you if it does indeed fix my problem...

I have already checked with Celestron, new Adv GT motors are nolonger available but, they assure me, a CGEM motor will fit fine, just have to change the brackets out, which is quite simple

Otherwise, this bargain.. ain't such a bargain...

If it is only a loaner, I would be prepared to pay postage both ways...

Thankyou in advance to anyone who can help me out...

Cheers