Old 11-11-2012, 01:27 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

DSLR sensor question

Been doing test photos of the sun for the eclipse coming up and I think my sensor needs a clean. I cleaned the UV filter and lens so I am assuming it's the sensor that needs a clean.

Just wanted to ask everyone's opinions as I am new to using DSLR's and still learning!

Image attached.

Looks like a smudge, can be seen more when zoomed in, that was using a 75-300 lens not zoomed in.

How do you guys clean the sensor as I can imagine everyone has their own way. I have a Canon lens cleaning kit with 2 of these sensor swabs. Looked up stuff online but I would also like your advice. Do you guys add some fluid to the swab because it came with some cleaning fluid in a little spray bottle.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_8266.jpg)
149.3 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1061.JPG)
80.1 KB68 views
Old 11-11-2012, 04:19 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Hi Stefan,
I use the Arctic Butterfly, it's a battery operated anti static brush, I picked it up from CameraHouse. Bought for my Canon 350D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8NSj...eature=related

Paul

Last edited by peeb61; 11-11-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added web link.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 PM
leon

Stefan, I have a Canon 5D, which i clean on a regular basis.
I first use a Giotto Blower to blast any dust off, and then just use a good quality lens pen, works a treat every time and it is spotless.

The filter in front of the sensor is tougher than led to believe.

However this is my way of doing it and if you don't feel confident than ask how others do it.

Leon
Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

I also have one f the big Giotto blowers, they are great.
If its real dirty don't be afraid f the sensor cleaning fluid & swabs. Ake sure the battery I good cos if th mirror slaps down while your wiping it th mechanism can be ent then you're stuffed.
I cleaned it once to good effect, it's no the sensor itsel you're touching but a clear window in front of it
Old 16-12-2012, 12:32 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Thanks guys!

Reading the different ways and techniques that everyone uses I am not sure if I am 100% confident in doing this on my own.

Yesterday I went into Ted's because I also wanted to ask them the same question as I asked here, the best way to clean the sensor. One of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. To sum it up he was pretty much saying you shouldn't be cleaning the sensor and that Ted's should do it for $80 then later said $150 per hour. He gave me no recommendations or any advice or help, he was just trying to sell his service.

I never liked Ted's anyway, they are so over priced! My friend bought the Canon S100 from an online site similar to Kogan for around $350 at the time. Ted's was selling them for $580 and they claimed they purchased the price of that camera for way more than $350 hence the reason why they cannot price match. Wouldn't they be buying them in bulk in which they would be getting the cameras cheaper??
Old 16-12-2012, 12:34 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

By the way my cleaning kit came with a spray fluid for lenses. Can I use this fluid on a sensor swab for the sensor or isn't that recommended?

I want to get this right and not pay $80 to get it cleaned by someone wearing a Ted's shirt.

Also the guy was saying because I am wearing "this shirt" (black shirt with a Ted's logo on it) I can only recommend our cleaning service (something along the lines of that).
Old 16-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Ted's is an official Canon supplier.

The place where your friend got it for $350 is likely a grey importer. That is, not Australian stock, and, Canon will tell you to get stuffed if you take the camera to them trying to get work done under warranty.

H
Old 16-12-2012, 01:03 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Ted's is an official Canon supplier.

The place where your friend got it for $350 is likely a grey importer. That is, not Australian stock, and, Canon will tell you to get stuffed if you take the camera to them trying to get work done under warranty.

H
Yeh it was a grey importer but you still get warranty. It's either $580 or $350 and I would rather the $230 savings in my pocket.
Old 16-12-2012, 02:37 PM
trek1701 (Mark)

Hi Stefan

If you’re not happy with Teds then you could try Michaels in the city.
I feel they are bit more professional and not just a stockist.

Good luck

Mark
Old 16-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

You get a warranty, but, you don't get a Canon warranty. Big difference.

You have the choice of the grey importer doing the work, or Canon.

I know what I'd choose (particularly for more expensive items)!

But, in buying cameras of varying levels of quality (consumer-prosumer) in the last ten years, I have been lucky that none have failed me.

H
Old 18-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

The Camera Clinic in Easy St. Collingwood, Melbourne cleans CCD's for a reasonable price with a 24 hr turnaround.
Old 26-12-2012, 11:16 AM
alanfvic (Alan)

I have bought a number of Canon Lenses from grey marketers, the price advantage is worth the risk for me. I think the grey marketer can still call on Canon warranty in the county of origin, but there is no direct Canon warranty in Australia.

It is true that Ted's can't match the grey marketer's price. Canon charge the retailer more for the same gear in Australia. Manufacturers charge different wholesale prices in different regions. I can't see any justification for the practice and fight it in any way I can.

I similarly have a region free DVD player and buy other region DVDs. I am waiting to get a region free blu-ray player.

If a retailer charged well dressed customers more than shabby customers, we would be outraged, but manufacturers are doing just the same thing.

N.B. Stefan, on the question of cleaning sensors, I have seen dust spots like yours, but they just went away after a senser self-clean (550D). To check, take a photo with a blank background and very small aperture (e.g. F22 against a clear sky), the dust spots should be smaller and clearer then.

Last edited by alanfvic; 26-12-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling