Old 02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Canon 40D or Canon 450D?

I am currently on the look out for my first DSLR camera. I will be using it for both astrophotgraphy and general use.

I recently went to a camera store and had a look at different cameras. The one that stood out the most was the Canon 40D. I have to say that it is well built and feels like a small tank. However, I was told that the 450D was about to be released in April. The 450D has 12mp compared to the 10mp that the 40D has. Also, I am pretty sure that the 450D will be much lighter.

So, I was just wondering which one would be better for astrophotography and general use. The Canon 40D or 450D?

P.S. This will be my first DSLR camera so I have little or no experience with these kind of cameras.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:10 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

Hi Matty..I'm no expert..far from it., and nothing I write here is probably any help lol. I was in the same position as you a couple of weeks ago and have just bought the 40D

The 450D is much lighter being a synthetic body as opposed to the magnesium body of the 40D which would have to be an advantage.

As you mentioned, 12 mp versus 10 mp. The 450D also has the SD card which would have been better for me as I have SD cards coming out my wazoo.
Price wise it is supposedly going to be much cheaper than the 40D also.

My problem was the 450D is not due to be released until after I've been on my OS trip, and even then Canon could not give me a firm release date.

When it does come out I'll be buying it aswell and have it as a dedicated astro cam and keep the 40D for general work.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:05 PM
mick pinner
Astrolounge

l would think the 450D would be the better buy, presumably it will be a lot cheaper with the same if not more features. not long to wait.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:42 PM
allan gould

Ive faced the ame problem but figured I'll wait for the 450d and see what price it rolls out at
Old 02-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Thanks guys,

It really helps to see your guys opinion on this. The 450D looks like it will be the perfect DSLR camera for a beginner.

I was just wondering,

Does the live view function help when imaging?
I see that it only has an exposure time of up to 30 seconds. Can this be changed?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:51 PM
mick pinner
Astrolounge

the live view is particularly good for focusing, and when the camera is set to manual you have unlimited exposure time.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Thanks Mick,

If you are interested in the 450D like myself have a look here.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...noneos450d.asp

http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102..._1005803_.html

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...50dchanges.asp

Last edited by Matty P; 03-03-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Sorry for asking so many questions but here are a few more...

When I purchase a new DSLR camera I was just wondering what exactly I will need for use with a telescope.

I know I will need a T-ring but that is about it...

Do I need any additional items?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
madtuna (Steve)

T ring, 2" adapter and some sort of wireless or cable release mechanism and a bucket load of spare batteries lol

I'm in the same spot as you Matty...put my order into Bintel for my extra bits this morning
Old 03-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Thanks Madtuna,

Would it be possible for you to post a few links for exactly what I need because I am still a bit confused.

Thanks for your help
Old 03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
madtuna (Steve)

hi Matty

go to links on the left of this page and click the Bintel one.
Sellect "ccd imaging and accesories"
on page 3 you'll see "Orion Camera Adapter Prime Focus 2"
I rang Bintel this morning and spoke with Don who told me the Bintel brand one is exactly the same, out of the same factory but much cheaper.

The Canon T-ring is on the same page but you have to specify EOS

As for the cable release, I am not sure as I know the 40D one is different from the 350D and even the 30D, I have no idea what one the 450D will use. I notice they are cheap enough on Ebay though.

I hope this helps and anyone else reading this, if there is anything else we need please chime in.. I'm in the same boat as Matty
Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 PM
gbeal

Apart from the above, I believe you will need some form of remote release, and fitting to go between this release and the PC. They are call GPUSB or similar.
I bought a very cheap remote for my 20D and got Robby to conjure up a serial to release fitting. They are (or in the case of a VERY new model) or will be available somewhere, likely overseas. Hap Griffin is a name that springs to mind.
Good luck, both sound nice, although I wouldn't chase the pixel count too much.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:34 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

I may be incorrect here, but as far as I understand it, you will no longer need to remote release cable if using a PC. (If you're just running the cam without a PC, you will still need it)

On older models, you needed a parallel or serial cable (see Shoestring astronomy) which the software would trigger to release the shutter, as well as the USB cable for downloading the images and controlling the camera settings.

On the 40D (and presumably the 450D), this functionality is now offered via the standard USB cable (ie they've opened up the API to allow longer exposures controlled by computer instead of the max 30 seconds). You'll still have to wait for the software to get up to speed with the new feature (I think ImagesPlus might already have this - someone should check in with them), but it's one less headache. You could of course just use the software that Canon provide for the Live/Remote stuff, but not as automated as many other tools for "runs" of exposures.

Turbo
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 AM
RB (Andrew)

When you've made up your mind on which model to go for, check out the current prices on each around the net.
The $AU is high atm.

I like dealing with these guys.
http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/

They currently have the 40D body only @ $1389

The old 400D is down to $720, this will probably be as low as it will go since the 450D will be released soon.
But the prices do fluctuate.

Check around.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Thanks for the help guys,

I have decided to go ahead and buy/preorder the Canon 450D. I talked to the guy at the camera store and he said if everything goes to plan, I think he meant what Canon decide to do. I should be able to get the camera sometime in April. So my fingers are crossed.

I can't wait.

BTW will I need to get one of these? including a T-ring & T-adapter?

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...asp?id=MAS-227
Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Does anyone know of any other camera suppliers that are selling the 450D other than Teds?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:06 PM
madtuna (Steve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
Thanks for the help guys,

I have decided to go ahead and buy/preorder the Canon 450D. I talked to the guy at the camera store and he said if everything goes to plan, I think he meant what Canon decide to do. I should be able to get the camera sometime in April. So my fingers are crossed.

I can't wait.

BTW will I need to get one of these? including a T-ring & T-adapter?

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...asp?id=MAS-227
Matty that is the T-adapter, the T-ring screws onto the threaded end
Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
Does anyone know of any other camera suppliers that are selling the 450D other than Teds?
The 450D will be available in April I'm told.
As soon as they become available call these guys Matt.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/
Old 06-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Ingo

I'd personally go for the 40D. You can't beat it's noise control and the 450D's 12mp sensor just shows more noise with less IQ from what I've seen from Canon's example images taken by professional photographers.

The 450D definitely does not have the same features as the 40D. That would be completely bad for Canon as they'd then ruin their Pro-Sumer XXD range.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

I have been have doing a bit of research on the Canon 400D. I've heard that the price of the 400D is going to drop because of the new 450D being released. I know many people here at IIS use the 400D for imaging but I am still a bit unsure of it capabilites.

I was just wondering,

How does the 400D compare to the 450D?

... or should I just stick with the 450D?