ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thanx Barry, if the OS is Not concerned with what is in a zipped folder, then this could be good, tho wont it be a problem on the main PC ? Maybe the main PC will give me more options and to discern & erradicate the effected files ?
I have Not done a Zipped up caper before but willing to try anything once, I assume its a feature in windows that I have not come accross before or just overlooked it ?
Thanx
Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

In addition, Weird, Look at what is now on the USB Stick after them last 12-13 Fitts were put on as discribed above ? ? - A whole bunch of Carry-on folders - Trying to tell me something, , but I know Not this language ? ? ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (USBCapers 10.JPG)
127.8 KB14 views
Click for full-size image (USBCapers 11.jpg)
164.1 KB10 views
Old 04-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Those are folders created by the Mac OS.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

As in Apple Mac ? How on earth I wonder they got on there ? ?

Anyway - - Heres the next Catch - The Dam USB Port AINT Working any more - Put anything in it, , NOOOOTTTHHHIIIIIINNNNGGGG

Im Not doing anything more to it

NOOOOOOOOO I Cant shut it down Noww GRRRRRR

Pulled The Plugg

But Hey, I Really appreaciate everyones advice support and input etc,

I now know the issue is a lot deeper & the Lappy needs to be started next time by someone trained so they can actually deal with this One on One, Man against Machine type thing Yeah someone who actually 'Likes' these things before It goes real serriousely bad

Ive got 5 nights of imaging on this thing over the last week in Sub zero temps out west, id hate to see that lossed

Have done my dash for now

Rgrds all
Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Draco (Draco)

At this stage, I say store into something like dropbox or any other cloud storage.
Or email it to yourself, after you have zipped it.
Or if you can, copy it to your other computer via your home network.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Cheers Barry, tho I am not going to do that. Not sure of currupted files in the zipped and what may happen when open on my main PC - Probably nothin, but Im leaning on the side of - 'cant be tooo carefull' - at this stage ! !

Cheers all the same tho mate
Old 07-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Draco (Draco)

Hey Bob, Barry is correct. Here is a link explaining those weird files https://discussions.apple.com/message/21539621
Old 07-07-2014, 11:02 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I am going with Pauls comment, I think you've got a flaky hard drive. Have you run a scan disk or check on the drive. Best way is to get into Diagnostics in the BIOS ( F12 at start up ) then run the diagnostics. If the drive is on it's last legs it's either time to replace it or the laptop. Better sooner than later, you can copy the files off using a USB cage but if you run the hard drive into the ground trying to get it to work it may fail completely and then it's really 'toast' time.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thanx again Niv, Brent & Paul, ,
I have had a mate look into the situation and has discovered that all is generally good with the hard drive, has done a Bios systems check and some other fancy Hard dr check with some prog, found quite a few unwanted registry files which are now gone - but all in all, nothing suspicious with the system.
The main problem is with 'currupted' Fitts Files from the QHY Astro Camera - what is causing this I am Not sure - yet ? but have some ideas ill mention directly, tho 1stly, The particular Currupted Fitts files will Not move anywhere, no matter how you choose to move them, My mate Marty tried to move them via network to his PC, also tried moving them from with-in the my lappy - they wont budge !!! I thought I could move them before, as I grabbed one and move it to another folder on the lappy - but is was not a currupted one - Corrupted ones Wont Budge ! !

Ive also come to a guess conclusion that the Mac files must of come from another mates Mac who recently put some Folk (music band) movies on the stick - only possible logical way going by Link Niv, cheers for that ! But doubt they are the problem because we have 'Dumped all of them and the Currupted Fitts Files 'Remain' a problem !

Any way, I will be (tomoro) moving file by file and making note of the ones that are currupt - unfortunately I will need to shut down and restart each time I come accross a currupted file as it freezes the lappy, Grrr ! going to a borring episode, but have to do it !
Also, I wont be deleting the currupted file until I have all the good files safely on the stick as deleting currupted file may also cause a freezing of the lappy, so will deal with that after !

So, why/how are these QHY Fitts files being currupted, I have a couple of suspisions but nothing concrete yet ?
A) Sometimes when capturing images via the EXYCAP QHY aquisition Prog that is set up to do x amount of images - because of bad seeing, sometimes the Guide Star will Drop Out, so there is and Option on the Image aquisition 'Planner' to 'Force Stop' I use as no need carrying on with the last 10 mins of a 12-15min sub if it has had the guide star drop out - just something I am thinking as the currupted files seem roughley match the amount and frequency of guide star drop-outs I had over them 5 nights. Not sure, tho might run a query on the QHY Forums ? ?

B) The only thin I did differently on the few nights was I had my DSLR doing widefields at the same time, piggy backed' and my lappy has only two USB ports and one is used for the mouse, so I have a four way USB Hub to run communication for the QHY10, the Guide Camera and this time, The DSLR as well and wondering if the QHY & DSLR may have coincidently be trying to upload/transfer images at the same time and whether this may have caused some 'Confusion' and produced this curruption ? ?
To tell the truth, Im only grabbing at straws, but may be worth considering ?

What are your thoughts ?

I have about 5-7% currupted so far and am about 1/5 of the way through from what we did earlier tonight. Ill have a better idea tomoro !

Cheers for your guidance, direction and input all, it has been helpfull !
Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I would not be to sure about the Mac not causing the problem. Macs can 'own' files preventing others accessing it. I've seen it on stuff at work occasionally.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Interesting Thanx Brent, I might add that I had never opened the Movie files that were on there, didnt get the time, I had put that particular stick on my PC to see what was on it, the movies took up 3.5 gig on the 4gig stck so I needed space and deleted the only two files showing and i think what was left on it was what showing in the above snips (post #22)
So Im now not sure if they could have transfered them selves onto the lappy without any help ?
So, in knowing this - and what you have experienced at work, would there still be a chance of them causing problems ?
Appreciate your input as anything is possible with this stuff ? ?
Cheers ...
Old 09-07-2014, 11:41 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Not really a "Mac' person. I have just seen USB sticks with Mac files on that have had issues when the USB stick has been used in a PC.
eg Photo jpg files created on a Mac in Photoshop not being compatible on Photoshop in a PC. and access denials on some files. A Mac file may appear to be 'corrupted' to a PC. I haven't followed it up any further as I am only a PC support person, I leave Macs to others.
Sorry I can't be more specific or helpful.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:48 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

No worries mate - all things worth considering and appreciate your input