Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes

Old 20-01-2020, 04:58 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Old Star Trails

Here is some fun for you.

Going through some old storage boxes I found a CD with some star trail images which I had taken over sixteen years ago with my Canon F1 film camera. The lens used was a Canon 28mm prime lens. Exposures were about one hour for each image.

I have uploaded them to my flicker account

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

Ah, the fun we have when we find old data lurking about.

Cheers,
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Wiagdon Hill Star Trail 800px.jpg)
41.1 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (Wattle Flat Windmill Star Trail 800px.jpg)
58.7 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (Ryder Homestead Star Trail 800px.jpg)
86.2 KB52 views

Last edited by Ryderscope; 20-01-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 20-01-2020, 11:27 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Well thats pretty cool, Rodney, Great exposures too.
Was the color difference due to film type, sensitivity, etc ?
Nice show ...
Old 21-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Well thats pretty cool, Rodney, Great exposures too.
Was the color difference due to film type, sensitivity, etc ?
Nice show ...
Thanks Bob, the two images that have the 'greenish' colour were shot using Kodak Max 800. The image with the windmill was, if I recall correctly, using a slide film from Fuji. I think it may have been called Fuji Provia or Fuji Pan, something like that. We had started moving on to the slide film as it had better red sensitivity. Needless to say I guess but if I were to process these today I would spend more time on the colour balance

Edit: I just found some metadata in the file that I scanned at the time. I had the film type as FP400F which was definitely the slide film. I had my own scanner at the time so I would have the film developed by a lab and then scan the slide into the computer. I still have the slides lurking about in a box somewhere. Might by a task for another day to have it rescanned and try reprocessing the image.

Clear skies.
Old 25-01-2020, 09:52 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Thanks Bob, the two images that have the 'greenish' colour were shot using Kodak Max 800. The image with the windmill was, if I recall correctly, using a slide film from Fuji. I think it may have been called Fuji Provia or Fuji Pan, something like that. We had started moving on to the slide film as it had better red sensitivity. Needless to say I guess but if I were to process these today I would spend more time on the colour balance

Edit: I just found some metadata in the file that I scanned at the time. I had the film type as FP400F which was definitely the slide film. I had my own scanner at the time so I would have the film developed by a lab and then scan the slide into the computer. I still have the slides lurking about in a box somewhere. Might by a task for another day to have it rescanned and try reprocessing the image.

Clear skies.
Sounds like you have a lot of experience from the film days.
I had a cheap film camera back in them days, not for long tho, a couple of years before the Dslrs became affordable, to me anyway, and around the years of Comet McNaught 2006.
Not long after I acquired a 6V barndoor tracking mount and under advice from an older fellow-astronomer, he reccomended to use slide film.
I'm not sure if I have any of them slides buried somewhere, but I do still have some wide-field film astro photos in the old photo box, was only looking at them a week ago !