Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 16-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

I went to a local factory that makes custom kitchen counters and scored a 1mx30cm piece of some anonymous grey laminate from their scrap pile for free. It's not the famous ebony star, but nevertheless gives a low friction surface and was a huge improvement over the previous material I was using, Teflon on melamine. So +1 to the tips below about going to kitchen places. I paid nothing but brought a little money just in case they asked. I had called in advance explaining that I just needed a scrap of laminate for a project and asked if they had a "bin to raid".

Question on some other stuff:

What would be a good source for inexpensive hex bolts (i.e. 150mm M10 stainless steel). They're about $6ea at Bunnings, but can anyone recommend either locally (Perth) or online a place that can sell them at a significant discount to that? I need enough of them to make it worth my while saving a couple of bucks...

Also, carbon fibre tubes for dobsonian trusses. I've Googled and found a few places that sell 1M lengths. Anywhere longer tubes can be bought at a reasonable price?

Alternatively, since I'm aware CF is still crazily expensive, where's a good place to buy Aluminium tubes for the same purpose?
Old 24-07-2015, 07:09 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Bolts from http://www.metrobolts.com.au/Pages/index.html

In Melbourne and have everything I would want.

For Brass bits and they have (when I went in) a decent off cuts bin

http://www.georgewhite.com.au/

Aluminium Trade Centre as mentioned before is also good.

https://www.aluminiumtc.com.au/

Last edited by MattT; 24-07-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:24 PM
ADRIAN

Does anyone know where i can get carbon fiber rod
In Australia or Melbourne?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:52 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I've seen it at Small Parts and Bearings in Capalaba (Brisbane). They're a hobby and parts shop (eg remote cars/helis etc), so maybe try something equivalent in Melbourne?
Old 07-01-2021, 07:13 PM
Rocket (Ed)

UNC Bolts etc

The Fastener Warehouse is pretty good for UNC fasteners. They are in Brisbane and sell on eBay.
Ed
Old 26-05-2021, 02:30 PM
legswilly (Werner)

Protective mirror coating, where to get in Oz

I am researching making my own mirror and coating it with silver. So far I have found the chemicals to do it and the how.

One more thing I would like is a coating I can apply myself after the silvering is done.
I could try and get it from the US. Surely there must be something available here. I get my glasses coated, they ask a bit of money for it, but they must use some stuff to coat.
Any ideas?
Old 26-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legswilly View Post
I am researching making my own mirror and coating it with silver. So far I have found the chemicals to do it and the how.

One more thing I would like is a coating I can apply myself after the silvering is done.
I could try and get it from the US. Surely there must be something available here. I get my glasses coated, they ask a bit of money for it, but they must use some stuff to coat.
Any ideas?
Coating glasses (lens ) with magnesium flouride mostly I think, is a completely different process as it is to let light through, and chemicals than is used for coating mirrors, which is a thin reflective coating of silver or aluminium over coated by silicon monoxide, as Stephan mentioned.
Old 26-05-2021, 07:32 PM
legswilly (Werner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Coating glasses (lens ) with magnesium flouride mostly I think, is a completely different process as it is to let light through, and chemicals than is used for coating mirrors, which is a thin reflective coating of silver or aluminium over coated by silicon monoxide, as Stephan mentioned.

Where did Stephan mention it? I can't find it in this thread.

Where can I get silicon monoxide, how is it applied?
Old 17-11-2022, 09:31 AM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Knobs,handles,spur gears, collimation screws..... Qld based.

www.tea.net.au