Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:38 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Cheers Curt. I finally got to try it last night for the first time and I am very happy with how it is performing. I've been capturing pec curves and have +/- 5 arc second average PE according to PECPrep. I've also tried some 15 minute guided subs and have no noticable trailing - the best I could get previously was 2 mins.

Hoping to take some images tonight.

Peter
Old 13-02-2010, 01:26 AM
opticalsupports (Curt)

Fantastic. 15-minute subs is what hypertuning an Atlas is all about. I heard similar numbers reported from folks on the yahoo group, and their testimonials were what persuaded me to give it a try.
Old 15-02-2010, 03:43 PM
allan gould

I know its all your fault that this weather is upon us, Peter.
+/- 0.005 arc second PEC and 95 hour subs doesn't cut it when its cloudy.......... Grrrrrrrrr.
Maybe we should take your mount out into a deep dark and lonely place and fill its bearings with sand and Vegemite so that the rest of us can get back to fumbling in the dark.

Glad to see that your efforts have paid off so well. Have to measure the PE of mine sometime when this cloud goes away... But I said that before
Old 16-02-2010, 04:15 PM
leinad (Dan)

Great work peter.. I'm thinking of acquiring on of these kits myself very shortly.

Did you get a chance to measure the PE prior to the work over?
Some have mentioned the Atlas/EQG-EQpro mounts having a +/-30 PP ?
Old 16-02-2010, 04:54 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by leinad View Post
Great work peter.. I'm thinking of acquiring on of these kits myself very shortly.

Did you get a chance to measure the PE prior to the work over?
Some have mentioned the Atlas/EQG-EQpro mounts having a +/-30 PP ?
I'm not sure I would recommend buying the whole kit as the tools are pretty basic and the spare parts are readilly available. The instructional DVD's are quite good however there is an error in the DEC re-assembly bit.

I didn't measure the pre workover PE as there were some more fundamental issues with the mount I was trying to address. I was interested in the post PE to see if I'd done a reasonable job putting it all together more than anything.
Old 16-02-2010, 04:59 PM
leinad (Dan)

So the only worthy parts of the whole kit were the worm gear, and ceramic hybrid ball bearing kit? oh.. and extra spacers needed.
Old 16-02-2010, 05:26 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Hey Peter,

I reckon it'd be extremely useful to make a post here about the best place to get the different parts instead of the kit. Like, if you had to do it all again, how would you do it and where would you get the stuff, links to the websites etc.
Old 16-02-2010, 05:56 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

The basic kit only contains the spacers. You have to pay (quite a lot) more for the ceramic hybrid worm bearings. The bearings can be bought from VXB.com and the spacers are available from one of the members on the Yahoo EQ6 group. The kit doesn't contain a worm gear and you should n't need to replace this. The best part of the kit is the DVD's in my opinion.
Old 16-02-2010, 06:11 PM
bojan
amateur

It is a pity you did not determine which component was contributing the most..
In my case it was transfer gears (47 peaks 2-3 arcsec in one period) and gearbox (last stage, 1:3, ~5arcsec pp).
Total it was ~35srcsec pp, after tuning (mesh) it is 23 arcsec pp.
Old 16-02-2010, 06:24 PM
leinad (Dan)

How did you conduct your test bojan; with Pempro ?
Old 16-02-2010, 06:54 PM
bojan
amateur

Just 15 minutes exposure using 1000mm lens with slightly mis-aligned mount. Then I analysed the image pixel by pixel (tedious job ! )
I did not use the K3CCD then, unfortunately.

The images are after and before tuning (and replacement of motors and gearboxes)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PE_New_motors_13min_.jpg)
25.4 KB152 views
Click for full-size image (PE_OOB_15min_rot.jpg)
5.3 KB165 views
Old 16-02-2010, 06:55 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Hey Peter,

I reckon it'd be extremely useful to make a post here about the best place to get the different parts instead of the kit. Like, if you had to do it all again, how would you do it and where would you get the stuff, links to the websites etc.
OK Troy here goes:

Spacer kit - join the Yahoo EQ6 group and find the post from Doug - he sells Delrin EQ6 spacer kits for US$13 including post to Aus.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EQ6/message/32554

Worm Bearings (2 on each axis) - These are 608 deep groove ball bearings. The standard ones are steel but the recommendation is to get some hybrid ceramics. I got mine (ABEC7 ceramic hybrid low friction in a set of 8 for US$70) from VXB.com although I've seen posts where people got the same ones on ebay for less. http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8344

There are quite a few different ceramic hybrid bearings to choose from apart from these - key is to get some good ones. I was told to go for ABEC 7 or ABEC 9 by someone I trust.

Grease - I got Superlube synthetic grease (3oz - 85g) from a local locksmith http://www.toplock.com/

It was about $10

http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-...ease-ez-49.htm

I chose to replace the main bearings also although some say this is not necessary. I decided upon SKF bearings as follows:

6008-2RS1 - 6 in the mount although you can choose to re-use the original 2 DEC ring gear bearings as these don't rotate when the DEC clutch is locked
30206 J2/Q - 1 required
32208 J2/Q - 1 required

http://www.skf.com/skf/productcatalo...did=1050270008

http://www.skf.com/skf/productcatalo...did=1310000206

http://www.skf.com/skf/productcatalo...did=1310002208

All up these main bearings cost $179

You can get the instructions from Beevo for free although it isn't a step by step DVD:

http://www.beevo.com/rework.htm

You need the following tools:
a set of metric allen keys
a set of phillips head and straight screw drivers
a shifter
some needle nose pliers to remove the worm shaft covers and to adjust the wom thrust ring.
possibly some vice grips if the locking rings are done up really tight.

some fine wet and dry sand paper.
a craft knife for scraping paint off the mating surfaces.
a small length of 6mm ID tubing to rotate the worm shaft by hand.

Finally - a lot of patience when you adjust the worm mesh.

Peter

Last edited by peter_4059; 17-02-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:04 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
It is a pity you did not determine which component was contributing the most..
Based on my post tuneup PE curves, most of the PE is coming from the transfer gear and the worm (about 50% each). The transfer gear has an o-ring either side of the gear as a bearing and this is obviously not quite right. Luckily this is easy to adjust without pulling the mount apart again. There are also a number of modification options that can be looked at to replace the o-rings with spacers, or proper bearings. I just haven't got there yet.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:17 PM
leinad (Dan)

Thanks for all that information peter
Old 16-02-2010, 07:18 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Based on my post tuneup PE curves, most of the PE is coming from the transfer gear and the worm (about 50% each). The transfer gear has an o-ring either side of the gear as a bearing and this is obviously not quite right. Luckily this is easy to adjust without pulling the mount apart again. There are also a number of modification options that can be looked at to replace the o-rings with spacers, or proper bearings. I just haven't got there yet.
Yep, this was my conclusion also, and it is quite visible on images above..
The transfer gears contribution can not be tuned out - I wanted to replace the gears with timing belts, everything is ready for the task but I do not have time...

PS: my mount is classic, with gearboxes (yours has only 200 s/r motors and transfer gears)
Old 16-02-2010, 09:23 PM
allan gould

Peter and Bojan

which is the actual transfer gear you are referring to?
Old 16-02-2010, 09:47 PM
bojan
amateur

I was referring to two 47-teeth gears - one is on the worm, another one is on the output shaft of the gear box of my classic EQ6 (gearbox with 131 reduction).
Also, I mentioned the last stage of the reduction in the gearbox that is 1:3, and the effect of this is visible as 3x higher frequency un the PE photos..

The Synscan EQ6 mount has slightly different reduction: 200s/rev motor, 12 (or 20?) teeth gear on motor shaft, then there is middle-size transfer gear (with rubber spacers?) and finally larger gear on the worm shaft. The reduction ratio is determined by gears on motor and worm axle [middle gear size (transfer gear) is irrelevant]

Last edited by bojan; 17-02-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 17-02-2010, 06:23 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Allan,

On our EQ6 the transfer gear is the larger of the gears on the motor mounting. Mine has rubber o-rings and yours has a bush.
Old 17-02-2010, 08:48 AM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Allan,

On our EQ6 the transfer gear is the larger of the gears on the motor mounting. Mine has rubber o-rings and yours has a bush.
Thats why I was confused as I couldn't remember anything with rubber O-rings in the mount.
Thanks for that
Old 20-02-2010, 03:43 AM
opticalsupports (Curt)

Pete, thanks for posting all of that info. It appears I will be following in your footsteps in the near future. Your thorough documenting of the hypertune is truly inspiring.

Where did you get the instructional DVD?