Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 12-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Billyboy78 (Bill)

Scary stuff this. Figure and smoothness getting better all the time. I'm at my target of 18mm correction but the 50% zones need smoothing. I'm using a 6" star lap to dig out the centre and a 12" star lap to smooth it out.

A metric digital depth gauge should arrive on Wednesday to replace the jerky imperial dial gauge I planned on using. Thousandths of an inch make my head spin. I plan on making a graph comparing calculated to actual zone readings.
Old 15-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Billyboy78 (Bill)

I thought I could clear up the last of the astigmatism during the parabola session but it is not to be. I got the 15" lap out of storage and did a 1 hour stint with the plan to go back to a sphere, but I may not have to. I had a white and a black tadpole chasing each other across the middle of the mirror but this has come good. Fingers crossed.
Old 19-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Billyboy78 (Bill)

Nah...gone back to #500grit with the old tile tool. Did 20 minutes now on to #1200.
Old 26-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Billyboy78 (Bill)

Update....

Simply, it appears my super dooper turntable is not up to the job and I need to make a new stronger one, even though its going to be used hopefully for a very short time. This however is going to cost + time, both I don't have.

I have come up with a solution though for a cheap strong true turntable. Use a rear differential out of a car, mounted vertical with a mortar filled rim on top.
Old 15-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Billyboy78 (Bill)

Update...
House moving has caught up with me. I've dismantled the workshop and packed everything and tossed out a lot of valuable junk. Once I move then I have to build another workshop so it might be a while before I report again.
Old 13-08-2019, 06:51 PM
Billyboy78 (Bill)

What can I say. The new house is totally unsuitable for a large telescope to be housed with overhanging trees all around and a small backyard dominated by a 10m x 4m pool. Therefore I must GIVEAWAY the scope to any interested person in the Brisbane area.

Read this entire thread to see the fun I've had in building it and whats left to complete it. I can deliver down to the border/T'mba/B'berg etc. for a small charge.

Call me on 0421 159 330.
Old 13-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Wavytone

You mean to say you started making this without understanding the implications of mounting and housing such a beast ?