Old 23-10-2019, 11:47 PM
inline_online (Dan)

Windows 10 or...

Hi ,
My father-in-law has a laptop (prob purchased for no more than $400 or so) that is running Windows 7. He's been told that MS is going to stop updates and tech support for Windows 7 and so was wondering if he's better off:

a) Buying a new lappy with Windows 10 (similar price, about $400 or $500)
b) Getting a computer guy to install Windows 10 on the existing computer.

He's had a quote for $200 to get the reinstall done and the guy said the computer would be able to handle it fine.

He uses his computer for internet banking, email and random stuff (no IceInSpace unfortunately).

He asked me for my advice and my first thought was the brains-trust at IIS as I've no idea at all. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers, Dan
Old 24-10-2019, 05:44 AM
dreamstation (James)

I've been looking into upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 this week myself and I've been told that you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free despite the fact that the Microsoft website says the free upgrade offer expired in 2016. Might be worth looking into before spending any money. I was told to follow the instructions on this page and to input my Windows 7 serial number when prompted.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10
Old 24-10-2019, 07:47 AM
Wavytone

Er... backup your existing system - to an external drive first - in case this goes pear-shaped. Wouldn’t want to lose your files, right ?

And if you don’t have a backup it’s high time you did.
Old 24-10-2019, 09:05 AM
CeratodusDuck (George)

Does he really need to upgrade? Windows7 does not stop working, it’s just no longer actively supported. If he doesn’t NEED to upgrade then why bother if it is just for the tasks you mention. Many are scared into believing their old systems will cease working. They don’t.
Old 24-10-2019, 09:32 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

There's many approaches. This scenario shows up on my doorstep every 2 weeks like clockwork. For this, I usually:

Get them to buy an SSD and 2.5" USB hdd caddy.

Ascertain win 7/8 product key, and version (home or pro) through various means.

Swap HDD for new SSD, and install latest win10 from usb stick made with Media creation tool.

Use cd key from previous step. Check that system is activated. Phone a friend in India if not through internet.

Place old HDD into USB caddy.

Install drivers, other provided software, copy back documents, import email, etc.

Key point is (no pun intended), the cd key from 7 onwards works to satisfy win10 installs. Even the version question is defined by the key.

Taking the opportunity to install an SSD if not already present is as big a benefit as anything else.

Party on.
Old 24-10-2019, 10:21 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeratodusDuck View Post
Does he really need to upgrade? Windows7 does not stop working, it’s just no longer actively supported. If he doesn’t NEED to upgrade then why bother if it is just for the tasks you mention. Many are scared into believing their old systems will cease working. They don’t.

If your reason for upgrading is because Microsoft told you then you don't NEED to. But many people like yourself are happy to pay them for ignorance so knock yourself out.
Old 24-10-2019, 10:29 AM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

I have windows 7 and really really REALLY don't like windows 10. My only concern about staying with win7 is that once they stop supporting, they might also stop security updates, and so will become vulnerable. I understand this is one of the factors behind ransomware attacks on old infrastructure running vista or XP?
Old 24-10-2019, 01:45 PM
TheCrazedLog

Uh.. title?

There's a few points to consider:

- There's some thoughts above about how you don't need to upgrade, and I suppose by corollary, that you do need to.
Windows 7 will not stop functioning on whatever date, at least as far as we know (there's no evidence to support that it will and it'd be highly unusual). So in this respect, you don't need to upgrade.
What will cease is security updates. These prevent nasty unintended security holes from being exploited. For a user that is not technical, these are basically a must. For those of us who are technical, its still cause for concern unless you have other mitigating factors and even then, you want to think very carefully. Viruses, exploits, malware, these are real things and having an anti-virus is only part of a protection regime.

I would recommend an upgrade, but don't assume it will be all sunshine and rainbows. Hopefully it will be, don't assume though.

- Consider Linux. If all you're doing is web-browsing, then something like Ubuntu on an older machine will work absolutely fine. What's even better is that you can boot of a USB key with Linux on it and try it out, all without touching the windows installation. If its nice, you can look at it installing it. If its not, reboot and unplug the usb key and off you go.

I won't say Linux is better than Windows or vice versa: its not the time or the place. Each has advantages and disadvantages and it is as much down to personal preference as it is to technical requirements (well mostly anyway).

Source for the above: working in IT for 15 years, currently a system administrator/devops engineer.
Old 25-10-2019, 12:19 PM
inline_online (Dan)

Thanks to all that replied. Still not sure what to do. New computer or upgrade existing.
A few thoughts below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeratodusDuck View Post
Does he really need to upgrade? Windows7 does not stop working, it’s just no longer actively supported. If he doesn’t NEED to upgrade then why bother if it is just for the tasks you mention.
I think his main concern there was internet banking. Doesn't want to be left vulnerable. I'm still not sure if an unsupported system will increase the risk for banking. Sounds like it'll be okay from what you said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstation View Post
I've been looking into upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 this week myself and I've been told that you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free despite the fact that the Microsoft website says the free upgrade offer expired in 2016. Might be worth looking into before spending any money. I was told to follow the instructions on this page and to input my Windows 7 serial number when prompted.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10
Thanks for that. I might give it a go (although I'm pretty useless with computers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Er... backup your existing system - to an external drive first - in case this goes pear-shaped. Wouldn’t want to lose your files, right ?

And if you don’t have a backup it’s high time you did.
I don't think he'd have any files at all on his system. A few emails and possibly some bookmarked websites (golf mainly I'd imagine) is about all he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
There's many approaches. This scenario shows up on my doorstep every 2 weeks like clockwork. For this, I usually:

Get them to buy an SSD and 2.5" USB hdd caddy.

Swap HDD for new SSD, and install latest win10 from usb stick made with Media creation tool.

Use cd key from previous step. Check that system is activated. Phone a friend in India if not through internet.

Place old HDD into USB caddy.

Install drivers, other provided software, copy back documents, import email, etc.

Key point is (no pun intended), the cd key from 7 onwards works to satisfy win10 installs. Even the version question is defined by the key.

Taking the opportunity to install an SSD if not already present is as big a benefit as anything else.

Party on.
That's a seriously detailed approach and way way beyond my level of capability. If that's what it takes, I'd just say buy a new computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post

If your reason for upgrading is because Microsoft told you then you don't NEED to. But many people like yourself are happy to pay them for ignorance so knock yourself out.
I 100% know what you mean. It is easy to solve a problem by throwing money at it and it seems that too often we do that. It is, after all, the easy way out. But I don't have the inclination to obtain that level of computer knowledge. Yep, I'm certainly ignorant about the subject (father-in-law even more so) and I'll probably stay that way for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morls View Post
I have windows 7 and really really REALLY don't like windows 10. My only concern about staying with win7 is that once they stop supporting, they might also stop security updates, and so will become vulnerable. I understand this is one of the factors behind ransomware attacks on old infrastructure running vista or XP?
Thanks, that is good to know. So it sounds like he has to do something; can't just stay with Windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazedLog View Post
There's a few points to consider:

- There's some thoughts above about how you don't need to upgrade, and I suppose by corollary, that you do need to.
Windows 7 will not stop functioning on whatever date, at least as far as we know (there's no evidence to support that it will and it'd be highly unusual). So in this respect, you don't need to upgrade.
What will cease is security updates. These prevent nasty unintended security holes from being exploited. For a user that is not technical, these are basically a must. For those of us who are technical, its still cause for concern unless you have other mitigating factors and even then, you want to think very carefully. Viruses, exploits, malware, these are real things and having an anti-virus is only part of a protection regime.

I would recommend an upgrade, but don't assume it will be all sunshine and rainbows. Hopefully it will be, don't assume though.

- Consider Linux. If all you're doing is web-browsing, then something like Ubuntu on an older machine will work absolutely fine. What's even better is that you can boot of a USB key with Linux on it and try it out, all without touching the windows installation. If its nice, you can look at it installing it. If its not, reboot and unplug the usb key and off you go.

I won't say Linux is better than Windows or vice versa: its not the time or the place. Each has advantages and disadvantages and it is as much down to personal preference as it is to technical requirements (well mostly anyway).

Source for the above: working in IT for 15 years, currently a system administrator/devops engineer.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I've heard of Linux and Ubuntu but don't know a lot about them. I don't think the 85 yr old in question would want to learn new systems as he struggles enough as it is.
So you recommend an upgrade and not a new computer?
Old 25-10-2019, 03:28 PM
snowyskiesau

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post

Decided to try this with a laptop I keep Windows 8 on for CAD software (Linux everywhere else). Found the product key but Microsoft says I can't update. Might be an OEM key ?
Old 26-10-2019, 12:15 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
Found the product key but Microsoft says I can't update. Might be an OEM key ?

Hello Snowy,

Please share what steps were taken prior to arriving at this point

MS can be a little picky sometimes when using normal MS provided installers/ISOs, with Manufacturer issued CD-Keys.

Without insulting you, consider double checking the characters of the key for possible mistakes. There are a few characters which look very mistakable on these labels, especially if they're a tad worn.

Most of the time, if it's like that, I install cleanly, using a USB stick made with media creation tool, input the code in manually, then face the activation woes down the line. If basking in woe - phone a friend in India (1800 642 008). Tell a little fib that it's the "same machine with minor upgrades". They'll bash something in manually and tell you the code to activate it in the wizard.

As mentioned before, swapping HDD for an SSD is the best improvement, and allows winding back by replacing the original drive if things really don't work out. It's hard to lose really.
Old 26-10-2019, 12:20 PM
snowyskiesau

No Windows key sticker on the laptop, never was (Toshiba bought new). I used 'Belarc Advisor 'to get the key from the registry.
First step was to use 'Add features to Windows 8.1' which prompted for a product key, this is the step that failed.
I did this before going the route of installing Windows 10 from an ISO just in case there was a problem with my product key that prevented the install forcing me to reinstall from the recovery media.

FYI, the product ID under the System option shows AAOEM as the last few characters which promted my query about an OEM version and possible install differences.

Not a major problem if I can't upgrade, just thought I'd give it a go. Only use Windows for CAD (Fusion 360)
Old 18-12-2019, 03:49 PM
petjam (Peter Jame)

Look, I was facing Microsoft reporting error, so I apply troubleshoot Microsoft Office process but still problem persists, even I follow instructions of some websites.
Old 21-12-2019, 02:55 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

I updated my laptop to Windows 10 the other day and so far so good. Here is a video that can help out if you choose to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6NLoqYXso

Joe Wheelock