Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 28-07-2019, 07:12 AM
mfitzasp (Michael)

Robotic Telescopes, Student Research and Education Conference - Melbourne December

Hi!

Just giving everyone a heads-up about the next RTSRE (rtsre.net) conference conveniently located in Australia this time - Melbourne, December 8th to the 11th, 2019. The first one was in San Diego and the second one was in Hawaii.

The latest mailout is available here: https://mailchi.mp/b0ba676f8d70/rtsr...nd-more-760965

More information is available at the website: rtsre.net

Core to this community is the pro-am and amateur observers, so we would love you to consider coming along!

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...1&d=1564265458

Regards,

Michael Fitzgerald
RTSRE Conference Convenor (psyfitz@gmail.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (RTSREheadermailchimp-6.jpg)
153.5 KB21 views
Old 28-07-2019, 08:31 AM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Thanks for this Michael - am a teacher myself and was not aware (until now via your post) of this event.

I'll register for it this week.

Kind regards.

Paul
Old 28-07-2019, 08:39 AM
mfitzasp (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzgerald View Post
Thanks for this Michael - am a teacher myself and was not aware (until now via your post) of this event.

I'll register for it this week.

Kind regards.

Paul
Excellent! I am glad to hear it! It is quite tricky to get beyond the noise of the internet to the right people in this day and age

See you there!

Michael

P.S. Excellent last name there.
Old 28-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Looks very interesting.
I’m a little surprised to see no sessions on spectroscopy.
Over 85% of all our knowledge of the Universe has come to us through spectroscopy.
Old 28-07-2019, 09:09 AM
mfitzasp (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Looks very interesting.
I’m a little surprised to see no sessions on spectroscopy.
Over 85% of all our knowledge of the Universe has come to us through spectroscopy.

Hi Merlin66,

The full program is not online yet as the abstract submission date (where all the talks get accepted or rejected) is not until October. So, in a very real sense, there are no sessions presented online yet. We have our major speakers online (go here) and you can easily guess what they may speak about from who they are. It is very normal for conferences such as this not to present sessions at this stage until all attendees have submitted abstracts and the program is constructed.... please submit an abstract if you like!

There are usually many attendees interested in spectroscopy. As a point, we don't specifically say "photometry" either, although that is a major part of the exoplanet transit, open cluster and variable star section and we don't say "astrometry" either, although that is a major part of the double star section. The first line of our blurb covers basically all of the 'metries'

Quote:
The RTSRE conference series focuses on building a sustainable community around the educational, technical and student research uses of robotic telescopes, from small through to large aperture and from radio through to gamma-ray and involving both observed and archival data
I would say that spectroscopy falls under "observed" data

Michael
Old 22-10-2019, 02:33 PM
mfitzasp (Michael)

RTSRE Conference Abstract and Registration Deadline Soon!

Hi Everyone,

Just letting you know that the upcoming Robotic Telescopes, Student Research and Education Conference (as well as a related astronomy visualisation conference) in Melbourne in December has registration and abstract submission closing soon!

One week until abstract submission deadline and three weeks until registration deadline!

https://mailchi.mp/559aa288bb7d/rtsr...m_XF9zLbPn1cfc

Thanks!

Michael