Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 09-01-2020, 09:58 PM
beebs (Joel)

Starsense Autoalign and HEQ5 Pro possible?

Hi,
I have a HEQ5 Pro older model (v2 HC) purchased recently 2nd hand, and also a celestron evolution. I just picked up a starsense autoalign on the cheap and updated the firmware (as suggested) that works with the evolution and am looking into whether I can use it with the HEQ5 as I'd a decent mount to begin astrophotography. I've made a home made wedge for the evoltion with some success but want to improve with a good mount. I have since noticed that you can purchase the "starsense for skywatcher mounts" that includes an "interface box" ( small box with 3 aux ports that then feeds into the skywatcher HC aux on the mount). Unfortunately it doesnt seem you cant purchase the interface box separately and I can't seem to find a work around. i was looking into rj45 8c to rj12 6c adapter/converter, but there isn't a purchasble product and if there was, im not sure it would work. If i plug the celestron rj12 into the heq5's rj 45 it does fit, but the celestron HC doesnt even power on. is this due to different wiring in the cords or could i attempt to use a rj45 to rj12 adapter?
I am unable to update the synscan HC either as only V3 or higher can be updated. I am new to all of this and have been trying to buy things 2nd hand bit by bit. I would have loved to have money to buy the perfect setup right away but it is a learning curve and an expensive one at that.
Failing what is suggested above, is there software and controlling through a computer that could make a work around to use the starsense autoalign with the HEQ5? Any suggestions will be appreciated, and thanks in advance. I'm sure given the knowledge and experience on this site, someone can help.
Joel
Old 10-01-2020, 07:41 AM
Hemi

Hi Joel,

To use the star sense with a sky watcher mount you need the controller box that you mention. There is no difference between the celestron version and the SW version apart from that box. The camera and hand controllers are the same.

Unfortunately there is no work around that I’m aware of. Computer software to use star sense directly is celestron specific, and essentially only CPWI which doesn’t work with sky watcher mounts as far as star sense is concerned. Star sense for SW doesn’t work over ascom either.

Team celestron are a good source of info and answers. And my extensive attempts and answers were from them. I was basically trying to get starsense for SW to work over ascom or directly using sky safari.....both were a no go, and the official answer from team celestron!

It works great with the hand controller though. (And the box!)

Cheers

Hemi
Old 10-01-2020, 07:46 AM
Wavytone

Joel I bought a star sense but have yet to use it with my AZEQ6 (Weather/fires).

The interface box looks suspiciously like a 4-port wired router of some sort connecting mount, camera and the StarSense handset.

The manual that came with it is quite detailed and it does make quite clear the handset is responsible for the software functions to align and control the scope - it cannot be done using a PC. The handset replaces the SynScan handset.

In retrospect I think it’s a bit pointless because buried in the Synscan manual is a section which describes how to accurately align the mount within minutes of arc that should be quite quick - and probably quicker than the StarSense. And it would be just as relevant to any EQ mount with a synscan handset.

Last edited by Wavytone; 10-01-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:11 PM
Hemi

Agree Wavy, but it really shows what’s possible. I think its let down by software support....

It’s great to use SkySafari pro completely wirelessly with a celestron mount. Just click star sense auto align, go make a cup of Joe (instant) and voila.

The main problem is that’s its the only use case for that. Sky safari will work beautifully with the AZEQ6 with a wireless dongle, but the star sense alignment has to be done with the HC first!!

One small aside that i like with the star sense, is it essentially converts the Skywatcher into a celestron (software wise), which i marginally prefer. Once all setup you can use the celestron ASCOM driver as well!

Have been using various permutations for a few years.

Cheers

H