Old 13-05-2015, 08:21 AM
lachlann

counterweights

hey all!
so i've just recently purchased a skywatcher black diamond 8" newtonian from anthony's and it comes with a bresser EQ5 mount. the mount comes with a 4kg counterweight but i'm having trouble getting the scope balanced, it nearly balances but it feels like it needs a little bit more weight to be perfect.
just wondering what sort of weight i would need to get it right? i can buy a 5kg skywatcher weight from bintel but i don't know if that would be enough, would i be able to use both weights but not have them as far out on the countershaft?

cheers, lachlann
Old 13-05-2015, 09:22 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

There's a good description of the maths of the balancing process here:
http://www.lcas-astronomy.org/articl...ry=accessories

On a German equatorial mount, how large a counterweight (c/w) will you need for a given telescope weight and where should it be placed? The formula is:

(Scope weight) x (scope-to-mount distance) / (c/w weight) = c/w-to-mount distance

A heavier counterweight will need to be further up the shaft than a lighter counterweight to achieve the same balance. There is also the advantage that the higher up the shaft the counterweight is, the less vibration you will tend to get from the "pendulum effect" of the hanging mass of the counterweight on the shaft. But you need to remember that there is a limit to how close to the pivot axis you can get the counterweight, so if the counterweight is too heavy for the OTA, it may not be possible to get it close enough to the pivot axis to get the telescope balanced at all.

You could start by weighing your OTA in its minimum and maximum configurations (i.e. eyepiece only, and with your heaviest camera / filter wheel etc in place), and also measure the minimum and maximum radius of the counterweight from the pivot axis. This should then give you an idea of the optimum counterweight mass for your scope - 5 kg may be better than 4 kg, but 4 kg plus 5 kg may be too much.

Remember that on a Newt, heavy accessories such as cameras and filter wheels are positioned further from the pivot axis than the OTA itself, so the calculation should be something like:

(Weight of OTA x Distance of OTA from pivot axis) + (Weight of camera x distance of camera from pivot axis) + ...
Old 13-05-2015, 09:54 AM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

I am not sure if this will work, but, you could hang a two litre bottle from your counterweight, then add ~500mL of water at time.

Checking what you think of the balance each time, should give you a feel for how much extra weight you would like.

Bearing in mind Lachlann's comments, you may want to try it a bit further up the shaft.

Philip
Old 13-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Hi Lachlann,

As a former owner of a 8" newt + EQ5, you will definitely need two counterweights to get a good balance. An extra 5kg will definitely be more than enough to balance your system Even if you added cameras, finderscope, upgraded focuser, additional wiring, guidescope etc it would still be fine.

Yes if you have two counter weights, then they both would sit further up the shaft (if you double the number of weights, then you would need to move them up the shaft up by half). If you can wait then the weights can be had cheaply second hand here good luck!
Old 13-05-2015, 11:55 AM
raymo

I have the HEQ5 with a Skywatcher 8" f/5, and can say that 9kg [ his 4 plus another 5] would not be enough, assuming that his OTA weighs pretty much the same as mine. I have to have my shaft fully extended with my two 5kg weights, and add another 1kg weight if adding
any accessory other than my DSLR. The OTA itself weighs 9.5kg.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 13-05-2015 at 11:57 AM. Reason: more text
Old 13-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

I had 2x5kgs and was sufficient, classic case of YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
Old 13-05-2015, 06:18 PM
lachlann

thanks for the info everyone! much appreciated
should have added it's purely for visual viewing at this point. my brother has a weight set at his place i might pinch some plates off him to get an idea of the weight i need but it sounds like the 5kg counterweight will be a sure thing.