Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 16-08-2017, 10:29 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Remote USB for mounts/cameras

I have been hunting around for a while to try to find a cable solution better than the usual tangle to peoples imaging mounts.

Has anyone tried the software VirtualHere? I had a brief play with it last night in the trial version with Backyard Nikon, connecting my wifes D3 via USB to a spare laptop I have with Ubuntu Linux on it. I then successfully connected to the camera with BYN on my windows 10 PC, controlled the camera, shot frames, downloaded the image etc.

It struck me that if it had the grunt, something like a Raspberry Pi on the mount (Requiring only a power cable if WiFi did not cause any interference issues) could be used to provide remote USB ports on the mount for camera and mount control, meaning potentially not much more than a power cable would be needed to the mount, the rest all being on the mount itself.
Old 16-08-2017, 11:39 AM
beren

Mentioned this in another thread but a new product available called the Stellarmate looks interesting. Just waiting for more reviews but the developer has online Q&A on the website, was asking questions last night

https://www.stellarmate.com/
Old 16-08-2017, 03:11 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

That is an interesting setup. Given the relatively low cost I am tempted to buy Virtual Here and run it on an Rpi (Which is what Stellarmate is using)

Stellarmate has an OS only item for sale too so an Rpi with Virtual Here on it costs little to change into a Stellarmate box if the USB virtualisation did not work out.

The real difference between the two seems to be Stellarmate moves more functions on to the Pi where the other is just using it to provide access to it's USB ports.