Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 08-09-2019, 07:31 AM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,409
APM/Lunt XWA eyepieces 110 degree

I am looking into various eyepieces as I am doing more visual.

Televue has a wide range and have always been good eyepieces in the past. It seems their range is divided up depending on the width of the field of view and also the weight and size.

I had a 13mm Ethos in the past and it was very good but its huge and heavy and expensive.

Anyone had experience with the various models of eyepieces from Televue?

Delites seem good value but less wide a view.

These Lunt/APM eyepieces seem to be a good value. Branding variants seem to compare well against the Ethos.

Anyone using there?

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2019, 11:06 AM
bigjoe's Avatar
bigjoe (Joe)
Registered User

bigjoe is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I am looking into various eyepieces as I am doing more visual.

Televue has a wide range and have always been good eyepieces in the past. It seems their range is divided up depending on the width of the field of view and also the weight and size.

I had a 13mm Ethos in the past and it was very good but its huge and heavy and expensive.

Anyone had experience with the various models of eyepieces from Televue?

Delites seem good value but less wide a view.

These Lunt/APM eyepieces seem to be a good value. Branding variants seem to compare well against the Ethos.

Anyone using there?

Greg.
Hi Greg
Was wondering myself seems owners are very happy though, even previous Ethoi owners..
Some discussions on stargazers..
The 20mm Ive heard is very very good.
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3...omment-3447823.
Rebranded as Lunt APM Stellervue and TS.
May just buy 1 to try anyhow, soon.
Bigjoe
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:41 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

ab1963 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: sydney
Posts: 331
I have the Stellarvue Optimus 4.7 110deg and must say it's excellent looks very much like the Ethos SX and from the odd review i have seen it performs very similar for a lot less coin and you know that quality control at Stellarvue is going to be excellent, Took a punt when i bought it but was more than happy sharp across fov but really excels at Luna viewing had some amazing views there.....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Wavytone (Nick)
BigBanger

Wavytone is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Killara, Sydney
Posts: 3,997
Greg what scope are you using ? Many eyepieces suit a particular type of scope (ie refractors, SCT or dobs) better than others.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-2019, 03:18 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Greg what scope are you using ? Many eyepieces suit a particular type of scope (ie refractors, SCT or dobs) better than others.
At the moment its a 105mm F6 APO but also have a 17 inch CDK and an AP Honders astrograph ( more designed for imaging but I presume it should be respectable for some visual). The Honders is 1160mm focal length (F3.8), the APO is 630mm (F6), the CDK is 2936mm (F6.8).

I might end up getting a C11 or C9.25 for doing visual with as well as SCTs are great for that.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-09-2019, 03:29 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
I have the Stellarvue Optimus 4.7 110deg and must say it's excellent looks very much like the Ethos SX and from the odd review i have seen it performs very similar for a lot less coin and you know that quality control at Stellarvue is going to be excellent, Took a punt when i bought it but was more than happy sharp across fov but really excels at Luna viewing had some amazing views there.....
Do you think there is any difference between the Stellarvue ones and the APM ones? It seems like they are the same eyepiece. Would Stellarvue do anything to these or simply rebadge them?

APM is US$129 cheaper for what appears to be the same eyepiece.

TS also sell them. I see William Optics selling them the cheapest at US$198. APM want $245 for the 3.7mm

https://williamoptics.com/products/eye-pieces/xwa

https://astromart.com/classifieds/as...in-stock-again

These from TS seem a little different and are similar in price to the WO versions:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...-Eyepiece.html



Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2019, 04:19 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

ab1963 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: sydney
Posts: 331
I can only give you advice on what I’ve seen with my own eyes and for it to stay in my eyepiece collection with the ones that are there the Stellarvue has to be able to perform as I want it to and it does razor sharp to the edge the other brands you have mentioned I have had no interaction with so can’t comment I just like how Vic Maris at Stellarvue is an absolute stickler for quality control as is Al Nagler and how I see it more rejections for imperfections means a higher premium, I don’t mind lending you mine for 2 weeks to check it out it’s the only way you will know I live in Sydney and as long as you pick up and drop back off in 2 weeks I have no problem with that
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2019, 04:31 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
I can only give you advice on what I’ve seen with my own eyes and for it to stay in my eyepiece collection with the ones that are there the Stellarvue has to be able to perform as I want it to and it does razor sharp to the edge the other brands you have mentioned I have had no interaction with so can’t comment I just like how Vic Maris at Stellarvue is an absolute stickler for quality control as is Al Nagler and how I see it more rejections for imperfections means a higher premium, I don’t mind lending you mine for 2 weeks to check it out it’s the only way you will know I live in Sydney and as long as you pick up and drop back off in 2 weeks I have no problem with that
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the kind offer but I agree with your view and I also would rather pay a bit extra for QC.

I really only want 2, the 4.7mm and the 20mm. So its not a lot extra.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Camelopardalis's Avatar
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Camelopardalis is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,637
Aren’t they made by Meade? Not that means anything, other than making it easier to find more reviews. BICBW
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 07:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement