Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 27-06-2012, 06:51 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Me too Jen
But mine were $89 from jetstar only mins ago.
Old 27-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by circumpolar View Post
Me too Jen
But mine were $89 from jetstar only mins ago.
Oh you cheeky bugger good one

Im just about all organised now yayyyyyy accomodation all booked and paid for 7 nights at Palm Cove flights are all organised now just need to organise a hire car and save save save now for spending money

I cant wait to meet you all
Old 28-06-2012, 07:27 AM
swannies1983 (Dan)

Was looking forward to going to see the eclipse but father duties will be higher up on my list of priorities. Oh well, I'll just close my eyes and remember being under the shadow of the moon during the 2002 eclipse.
Old 30-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Blaznee (Gary)
Global Local

I live in Trinity Beach and have just bought a Lunt LS60 THa /PT/B1200.
Over the next few months I will trying out the Lunt in several locations "scoping" out the best place to view the eclipse along with a couple of plan "B"s should mother nature conspire against us.
The Rex lookout on the way to Port Douglas and the Kuranda Range lookout will be high on the list
Looking very forward to meeting up with other members of the IIS community.
Gary T.

Last edited by Blaznee; 30-06-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: The font was to big
Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Analog6 (Odille)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaznee View Post
I live in Trinity Beach and have just bought a Lunt LS60 THa /PT/B1200.
Over the next few months I will trying out the Lunt in several locations "scoping" out the best place to view the eclipse along with a couple of plan "B"s should mother nature conspire against us.
The Rex lookout on the way to Port Douglas and the Kuranda Range lookout will be high on the list
Looking very forward to meeting up with other members of the IIS community.
Gary T.

Gary, can you post Google map links to good lookout spots? As a 'Stranger on a Stange Land' it would be good to know which are good spots to check out, rather than driving willy nilly round the district checing out everything vaguely possible. I will be staying at Mowbray.

I was looking at the Google earth map of the centreline and it crosses the Mossman Mt Molloy Rd at around the 410m elevation. Are there any lookouts along there - I found a likely looking spot at lat=-16.5340068604, lon=145.381454329 at an elevation of 379m and with a clearly visible pull off for cars spot or two. Failing anyone knowing what this place is like I'll go up and view sunrise there the day after I arrive, it's not a long drive from the van park.

Last edited by Analog6; 01-07-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:19 AM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
- I found a likely looking spot at lat=-16.5340068604, lon=145.381454329
There are two lookouts along this road and both face the wrong direction - you will not see the rising sun from these lookouts. (Sun rise at 109 degrees, eclipse at 105 degrees)

The bad news is that there are very few places where you will get a view of the eclipse from a lookout in the coastal area in the path of totality.

There are three roads that go from the coast up the coastal range:
The road from Mossman to Mt Molloy (mentioned above).
Smithfield to Kuranda which has the Henry Ross lookout with a great view.
The road from Gordonvale to Atherton does not have any useful lookouts (for eclipse viewing).

The problem is that the roads are all lined with a thick growth of trees (this is the wet tropics). You can get a good imporession of this with Google Earth street view. Pretty much all the roads in the coastal area have streetview.

There are quite a few places to stop on the Captain Cook highway with Rex lookout (mentioned above) being the highlight.

Because of the very limited lookouts they will no doubt be extremely popular and you will probably need to be there very early to stake your spot if you want to observe from there and they may be under police/parking control.

Terry
Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Analog6 (Odille)

I feared as much. Any good spot is going to be at a premium. I do plan to camp the night before wherever I decide but expect hordes. When I went to WA for the 1999 annular it was like a 3 ring circus!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Blaznee (Gary)
Global Local

Hi Analog6.
I will pm you the google earth markers of the Henry Ross and Rex lookouts. I might have photos as well. And yes they will be sought after locations.
Gary
Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post

Woooohoooooooo i just booked and paid for my flights today yipeeeeeeee let the countdown begin

(look out Cairns im coming)
Great, we have someone to plan the IIS members "get-together"

Come'on Jen, organise something for the afternoon after the eclipse.

All we need is a time and a place, and enough time to drive back from the Tablelands.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I was thinking that the top pub at Port Douglas might be good. Out of the hustle and bustle of Cairns with ample parking. And only a short roll down the hill to the bottom pub. .
But I'm totally open to other suggestions.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Great, we have someone to plan the IIS members "get-together"

Come'on Jen, organise something for the afternoon after the eclipse.

All we need is a time and a place, and enough time to drive back from the Tablelands.
yes i totally agree Erick ok all meet me at 12:00pm have no idea where as i have no idea of the area any pub/beach will do maybe half way somewhere between Cairns and Port Douglas as there will be a lot travelling from either end
Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Wherever will do. We'll be about 1 hr 10 min from Port Douglas and about 2 hours from Cairns.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Analog6 (Odille)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
yes i totally agree Erick ok all meet me at 12:00pm have no idea where as i have no idea of the area any pub/beach will do maybe half way somewhere between Cairns and Port Douglas as there will be a lot travelling from either end
Sounds good. Houghy, jjjnettie & I are staying at Mowbray which is about halfway. So either direction suits. I will make sure I don't schedule my Kuranda trip for that day.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
SteveInNZ

Don't forget that there will be lots of crazy, sweaty people doing the marathon in Port Douglas.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
Don't forget that there will be lots of crazy, sweaty people doing the marathon in Port Douglas.
That's right. We'll be setting up the day before so we don't get caught up in road closures etc on the morning.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:38 AM
cyclone

some good news......

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226416165586
Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

El nino & cloud cover for the eclipse

Hi

I was at the solar eclipse conference in Delhi last December. In his talk about this November's weather prospects I believe that Jay Anderson said that, "there is only a 5% difference in mean cloud cover during an El nino year compared to a La Nina year."

So whilst it is slightly better news, don't start dancing in the streets yet. I can add a little to this. El niņo is basically a phenomena that affects winter spring rains in eastern & southern Australia. Yes Cairns is in the zone that is influenced. It's on the decay as summer approaches which is why it's effect on this eclipse is small.

The biggest influence on weather stability will be how advanced the progress of the intertropical convergence zones migration from Asia is by November.

Joe
http://joe-cali.com/eclipses
Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

For anyone looking for accommodation during the eclipse, try this thread:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...086#post872086

It's at Palm Cove, within the centre line.
Old 21-07-2012, 09:22 PM
purplebottles (Philip)

Eclipse Nov 2012 viewing locations ?

Hi Guys, Mt Carbine Caravan Park seems a useful base for viewing locations along the Mulligan Hwy. The proprietor spoke briefly on the phone about sites on the eastern side of the road where local roads cross the ranges. I've been using Google Earth a lot and have written to Maitland Downs Station asking for permission to view from a rocky (granite ? ) hiiltop on the Western side , approx 144 deg 34min / 16 deg 15 min South. Anybody else considering this " drier, inland " region? I live near Coonabarabran. First heard of Icein Space from another visitor at the Siding Spring Open Day 2009. Back in 2002, we used an inland back road successfully. Didn't want to be with crowds at the " recommended popular site on the beach at Ceduna " Likewise this time. BTW in July 2028 there's a total eclipse coming through Gulargambone. Maybe I won't have to travel for that one.
Old 22-07-2012, 01:51 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

I will stay at Mt Carbine.
This is the view east from Maitland Downs https://picasaweb.google.com/1086019...62184453345810
On the way north and or south you can observe northern deep sky objects from a free camping site at Fletcher Creek north of Charters Towers.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1086019...65030383360642
For more images of the eclipse area start here https://picasaweb.google.com/1086019...60486789696514
Palmer River roadhouse is another good camping place https://picasaweb.google.com/1086019...62858426376786