Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Updated Alignmaster star list for Starwalk and Redshift

I have just made avaliable a new stern file for Alignmaster with better names in the star list. Thanks to Peter_4059 who first added extra stars to the list I have made some additional changes..

On most nights I use Alignmaster to polar align my scope. When it gives me the star list I use my Ipad with Redshift or Starwalk to find the stars in the sky. However some of the star names do not come up in Starwalk so I am always looking them up on Google with somtimes frustrating results... Stars like Elnath, Girtab, Mimosa etc were diffucult to find and just added extra time to my alignment... Not all of use can remember star names so I just had to sort the problem out so it was faster.

Was simple enough, just the time to get it done. I looked up every star in the star list of Alignmaster to see if it would come up in StarWalk and if it didn't I would find its other name that did and changed it...

Now for those that would like stars to show up in Alignmaster that also can be searched for in StarWalk and Redshift you need this file..

Just replace the file in the Alignmaster directory called sterne with the one I have provided.. Keep a copy of your original file.. On most computers you will need to go into c: drive, Program files (86) and into the Alignmaster directory. You will see the stern file.. Just cut and paste it to another location to save it and then copy my file in it's place...

That's it your done... Enjoy

With the greatest of thanks to Peter_4059 for his original work.

Regards
Mardy
Attached Files
File Type: txt sterne.txt (3.1 KB, 259 views)
Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Thanks Mardy,

You're a legend!
I was lost and now I'm found.

Well done and also to Peter_4059
Old 05-02-2014, 09:28 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

You are more than welcome
Old 09-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Astrobserver99 (Rob)
Starlit Night

download sterne.txt

I would like to download the file, but it seems to be unavailable. When I click on the link, it tries to download attachement.php. Any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrobserver99 View Post
I would like to download the file, but it seems to be unavailable. When I click on the link, it tries to download attachement.php. Any suggestions?
Were you right clicking or left clicking on the link? Mouse-over shows attachement.php but left click downloads the file.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Astrobserver99 (Rob)
Starlit Night

When left clicking on the link. Image file attachements download OK, but not txt
Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Thanks Mardy, should work great... I did notice though Rigil Kentaurus Has different to Spelling Rigel Kentaurus on my Planetarium C2A. Not sure which one is correct though.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:11 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrobserver99 View Post
When left clicking on the link. Image file attachements download OK, but not txt
Strange. I just left clicked and got the Firefox popup "do you want to edit or save" the file.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:14 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Thanks Mardy, should work great... I did notice though Rigil Kentaurus Has different to Spelling Rigel Kentaurus on my Planetarium C2A. Not sure which one is correct though.
If you think Rigil vs Rigel is strange try Alnath vs Elnath or several dozen others. Different translators used different pronunciations and spellings when they Anglicised names, especially from Arabic.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Astrobserver99 (Rob)
Starlit Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Strange. I just left clicked and got the Firefox popup "do you want to edit or save" the file.
The problem only occurs in IE11. Other browsers work OK. Only found this out when I switched.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
If you think Rigil vs Rigel is strange try Alnath vs Elnath or several dozen others. Different translators used different pronunciations and spellings when they Anglicised names, especially from Arabic.
Ahh figured as much. Thanks
Old 29-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

ok...because i am having issues at the moment please confirm that alpha trianguli is alpha trianguli (as in the Triangulum) and not Alpha Trianguli Australe (Atria) because im looking at Alignmaster now and it is saying use Acrux and ATrig and well alpha triangulum is below the horizon and has just set...so yeah...please clear this up for me