Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2014, 11:03 AM
azagil (Aaron)

What would my scope be worth roughly.

Hi All,

I am thinking of upgrading my scope. Currently I have a Celestron GPS 8". Its a fork mounted scope, In very good condition, It tracks, has go-to obviously. has a colminator with it, x2 barlow, a few eye pieces (Which I cant remember the lengths of as Im not at home) I even have a Crayford focuser that's new that can fit to the back. It also has a wedge, tele-extender. due shield, Camera piggy back mount fitted....just wondering what people think it may be worth as I know if I sell this I will get my new one faster as I hate the idea of not having a scope. :-)

Cheers,

AG
Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 AM
casstony

Around 2/3 of new price will get a sale if someone is in the market for your type of scope. Perhaps start at $1800 for the scope with standard accessories + dew shield and offer the other accessories at half price along with the sale. A buyer may not want the wedge or crayford focuser.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Yes, i agree with tony.
New price $2700.
I would be listing it around $1700 with original equipment (depending on condition and age).
I would list the wedge and crayford separately and expect them to go quickly.
Good Luck with your new purchase
Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Why are you selling it? I find the C8 to be a great all-'rounder to have at hand, particulary if it is Fastar compatible...

As for the price, I also agree with the sentiments posted, sold in AU (retention of value is higher here then in the USA).

Piggyback has no intrinsic value, but the wedge is a prized commodity. The SCT Crayford is a "nice to have", but to be honest, I've not used mine much. Collimator is a bonus (assume it's a Hotech?)

Good luck, I might be PM'ing you soon...
Old 03-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

As above, I can't ever imagine selling my C8. Even if I decide to buy a larger SCT (yes, I'm eyeing off a 14" EdgeHD once I move to my darker site), I'd still keep my C8 as my portable. A great piece of equipment with many uses.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I agree as well having just got my C9.25 XLT last week and used it every night since and taken it to a star party Saturday night found it so easy to transport in its shipping box with awesome performance to match .
Mine being CF its on par with the C8's weight wise , great scope optically and so well designed .

But yes I would say about $1700 would be a great price that will sell fast .
Just wondering Aaron , have you looked at getting a 60-80mm refractor and mounting it on the C8 for imaging ? , if you don't mind me asking .

Brian.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 PM
azagil (Aaron)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
I agree as well having just got my C9.25 XLT last week and used it every night since and taken it to a star party Saturday night found it so easy to transport in its shipping box with awesome performance to match .
Mine being CF its on par with the C8's weight wise , great scope optically and so well designed .

But yes I would say about $1700 would be a great price that will sell fast .
Just wondering Aaron , have you looked at getting a 60-80mm refractor and mounting it on the C8 for imaging ? , if you don't mind me asking .

Brian.
I have had the same comment a bit but just want a different scope....something more suited to imaging...but with a wedding getting planned...(mine) the cash would also come in handy at the moment. its been a great work horse and never had an issue but looking at something thats not a fork mount.....