Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-02-2020, 03:22 PM
jjjjohn9 (John)

Orion (Skywatcher) 120 EQ Refractor

After many years of little use, I am moving on to something smaller and easier to manage and am selling my refractor.
The package includes:

Orion (Skywatcher) FL 1000mm F/8.3 Equatorial Refracting Telescope (#9026)
(Objective lens is 120mm, crown and flint glass, achromatic, air spaced, diffraction limited).
Orion German-type Equatorial Mount
Orion EQ-3M Single-Axis DC Motor Drive System (#7829)
Focuser Rack and pinion, accepts 1.25” and 2” eyepieces
Orion AccuFocus Electronic Focuser (#7395)
Finder 6 x 30
Telrad Finder Scope
3 Eyepieces, Multi Coated Orion Plossl 25mm & 10mm plus Clave 6mm
Orion Padded Scope Case

This is a complete telescope kit. Total cost over the years is about $A 2,000. Asking just $450. (The Telrad alone costs $85).

It would be an ideal scope for anyone who could set it up on a (semi) permanent mounting or pier. I would be keeping the telescope if I could do that.

For a review of the telescope, see the review of an identical Skywatcher 120mm in IIS Equipment Reviews on 21-Feb 2006. The link is:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/41-281-0-0-1-0.html
The review speaks favourably of the optics being well built with good finish and represents excellent value for money.

John W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2976.jpeg)
20.1 KB134 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3340.jpeg)
22.7 KB230 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3348.jpeg)
31.1 KB188 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF2033.jpeg)
20.1 KB177 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF2035.jpeg)
23.3 KB173 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF2034.jpeg)
26.6 KB151 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3349.jpeg)
29.2 KB135 views
Old 05-03-2020, 09:48 AM
kalon (Kevin)

I'm guessing I'm setting myself up for judgement (and J. P. Morgan "if you have to ask..." vibes) but is this something that would be suitable for attaching a camera and doing deep sky astrophotography?

I've reached the limits of my simple setup and I am looking to get a tracking mount and telescope for the increased focal length - this price seems too good to be true (as just a StarAdventurer mount from Bintel is nearly $100 more) but I don't know enough to accurately commit or count this out for "reasons" (that I don't even know about).

I'm a stumble-around-blindly-until-I-figure-things-out-myself-with-a-liberal-helping-of-YouTube-videos kind of guy, so if the hive mind say that I'd be making things too difficult for myself, I'd take that to heart and look elsewhere.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:55 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalon View Post
I'm guessing I'm setting myself up for judgement (and J. P. Morgan "if you have to ask..." vibes) but is this something that would be suitable for attaching a camera and doing deep sky astrophotography?

I've reached the limits of my simple setup and I am looking to get a tracking mount and telescope for the increased focal length - this price seems too good to be true (as just a StarAdventurer mount from Bintel is nearly $100 more) but I don't know enough to accurately commit or count this out for "reasons" (that I don't even know about).

I'm a stumble-around-blindly-until-I-figure-things-out-myself-with-a-liberal-helping-of-YouTube-videos kind of guy, so if the hive mind say that I'd be making things too difficult for myself, I'd take that to heart and look elsewhere.
As is, on that mount, I'd suggest it would be much more suited to visual.