Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 21-01-2020, 10:41 PM
glend (Glen)

Dust Forecast NSW - Wednesday 22nd

I saw a weather forecaster this evening talk about dust preceding the next change in NSW. Checking the Bureau website for Wednesday the 22nd, it advises:

Raised dust likely in the west, possibly thick. Possible smoke haze in the southeast.*

I believe it has already arrived in some areas. This evening I was set for some observing but it was evident that dust was hanging in the air above my location, and I could feel it in my nose and eyes. Very fine dust. I suspect the west, North westerly winds of today have blown it down the Hunter Valley, along with the coal dust it could pick up, and it was running like a river in the sky on the warm winds down to the ocean on the evening convection current. I didn't bother uncapping the scope, just brought it inside.
Old 21-01-2020, 10:55 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Currently observing M42 south coast near Ulladulla, relatively clear night with some passing cloud.
Using my 12” Goto dob and 13mm Ethos with type 2 Paracorr CC and UHC filter. Trap stars A, B , C and D very bright , nice and pin point and can just make out E and F as tiny specs
Seeing pretty good, not a breath of wind but plenty of mozzies
No smoke or dust down here at the moment thank goodness
Cheers