Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 05-11-2007, 07:23 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

still cheaper from the states
Old 05-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLane View Post
Has anyone checked out www.camerasdirect.com.au

Seems like some good prices on various items.
Yes – I had a look and although they had very good local prices, they also confirmed on their website that:

"Canon Australia Pty Ltd does not offer any voluntary warranty on imported Camera bodies purchased from CamerasDirect.com.au Pty Ltd. or any other importer".

However, they do offer a CamerasDirect Warranty for 12 months for your camera body or lens, which is guaranteed against manufacturing defects for one full year from the purchase date, although I did not investigate the scope and extent of this. I also checked one of the eligible “Canon cash back” lenses, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM and the site does warn:

“Canon Australia Cash Back does not apply”.

Seems like an honest and responsible site, publishing the limitations and conditions from purchasing grey imports. It looks like they are based on the Gold Coast from their ‘phone number?

Cheers

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis; 06-11-2007 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Benjamin3

I would always go for a local dealer, not only are you getting an Australian warranty but you are forming a relationship with that dealer giving you options that you would never get otherwise such as borrowing gear or trying stuff out before you buy. Sometime you need to look at the big picture.

I've gone to PRA Imaging for some 8 years and they have always looked after me price wise and service wise.

Stay happy
Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

i like supporting local business but in my case buying over 50k of gear (usd) the difference was just way too big

i buy camera bodies local but all my lenses are from o/s.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:30 PM
leon

Dead right, I do exactly the same, and have been with the same camera house dealer for 20 years, with the same fellow running the business i might add.

You would be amazed at the deals i get, and like Benjamin says, i can walk in and say," could you give me a lend of that camera for the weekend", and walk out with a new unit, no questions asked.

Stay local I say.

Leon
Old 06-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

In this case, I have a good relationship with the local dealer, PhotoContinetal, from whom we have purchased several cameras, binos, accessories, etc. over the years at prices we were content with, given that we can drop into the store at any time, engage with the staff and handle a broad range of gear, as well as walk out of the door with it (paid for of course!)

This is the way I like to shop for certain goods where the criteria are a little bit more involved that simply choosing from a list of inventory on a web site.

So, if the local guys can get near the price I want, then it will be a local purchase. The lenses have an international warranty but the body warranty is country specific. I had a browse of the web for the (main?) 3rd party warranty provider for grey imports, Mack, and turned up some horror stories that made my toes curl. Incidentally, there were plenty of good news posts too, but the bad news always has a disproportionate effect.

The $500 cash back really makes the local purchase that much easier to contemplate too. I don’t mind spending an extra couple of $100 against a $5000 package for the advantages outlined above, not too mention contributing to our local community in terms of employment, etc.

All I need do is make up my mind before 31 Dec 2007 – surely that can’t be too hard….can it?????

Cheers

Dennis
Old 06-11-2007, 04:31 PM
leon

Na, go for it Dennis, your reasoning is sound, and even it were that one had to fork out a little extra, from the local bloke, the deal is still better.

My reasoning, is this, if some thing dose go wrong, and you need repairs, well what could be easier than walking back to the mate you know for twenty years (in my case) and say, Gerrard the camera stuffed, and he gives you another, while yours is off to Canon for a check up.

Leon
Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 PM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

My 30D and 40D were purchased at Photo Continental, while my 100mm macro was from Adorama. The mark up on lenses seems to be higher than it does for bodies, as well. For some bodies (and insurance replacements) I've had good luck with Camera Action.

Photo Continental seems to be very good at getting products in just after they are released, which is why I went there for the camera bodies. Their prices were also reasonable as compared to many Australian retailers.

Eric
Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 PM
snowyskiesau

I bought my 40d and 70-200L f/4L IS USM lens from Discount Digital Photgraphics
[http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au]
At the time (1 month ago) they were the cheapest local supplier and they had stock.
A check of several local photo forums turned up only good things about them.
Their website is very clear on the status of guarantees and cash=back offers.
I decided what I wanted on Sunday and picked it up on Monday. They seemed to have plenty of stock of everything.

I could have perhaps bought cheaper from HK but that could have meant a weeks wait for delivery
and I'm a 'I want it NOW!' sort of person

BTW, the same items would have set me back $150 less than I paid if I bought them today.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
I bought my 40d and 70-200L f/4L IS USM lens from Discount Digital Photgraphics
[http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au]
At the time (1 month ago) they were the cheapest local supplier and they had stock.
A check of several local photo forums turned up only good things about them.
Their website is very clear on the status of guarantees and cash=back offers.
I decided what I wanted on Sunday and picked it up on Monday. They seemed to have plenty of stock of everything.

I could have perhaps bought cheaper from HK but that could have meant a weeks wait for delivery
and I'm a 'I want it NOW!' sort of person

BTW, the same items would have set me back $150 less than I paid if I bought them today.
Thanks Geoff, I e-mailed DDP yesterday and they were very responsive with their reply and I agree, I liked their website’s up-front clarity explaining their position re warranties and grey or parallel imports. Great prices too!

Cheers

Dennis
Old 15-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Just received my $500 cash back from Canon.

The Canon Cash Back offer tipped the balance for me, when making the decision to migrate from my Pentax gear to the new Canon 40D.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 15-02-2008, 08:09 AM
RB (Andrew)

Excellent Dennis, certainly makes the decision easier.

It's always a good idea to check the Canon Australia website to see if there's any cash-back offers or new gear announced, before you buy anything.

It's also a good idea to check for the latest drivers for all the Canon cameras as they sometimes release updates.
Old 15-02-2008, 02:36 PM
leon

Hey Paul that camera direct seems like a good place to go, never knew of it until you mentioned it, certainly can safe some dollars.

leon