Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2021, 05:49 PM
AdamJL

Modifying DSLR in Australia

Hi all

I've got an old 5D II sitting around unused that I was going to sell, but figured it might be good to use as an astro camera.

Is there anyone in Australia that does modifications to DSLRs?

And uhhh.. what modifications would I be looking for? Just removing the IR filter?
Old 06-01-2021, 09:03 PM
RyanJones

Hi Adam,

Just make sure before you go to effort of modifying that camera that your scope has a large enough unimpeded image circle otherwise you’ll get significant vignetting anyway on the full frame sensor. Unless of course you’re planning on using it with a lens.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 07-01-2021, 09:40 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Camera Clinic in Melbourne (google them) modified my 5DII a few years back.

They must have done a good job, as the camera still works well.

I had the full spectrum modification done as I wanted to do some IR and UV photography....which I am glad I did as I purchased the EOSRa recently which is much more user friendly for nightscape images.

With a full-spectrum mod you will need an Optolong L-Pro or similar filer insert
to mitigate the strong magenta cast the camera's images will have post-modification.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:38 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Hi Adam,

Just make sure before you go to effort of modifying that camera that your scope has a large enough unimpeded image circle otherwise you’ll get significant vignetting anyway on the full frame sensor. Unless of course you’re planning on using it with a lens.

Cheers

Ryan
Hey Ryan

Thanks for the note; I don't mind cropping to be honest. My current 'scope (below) doesn't have the biggest imaging circle and I've recently added a flattener to it so it'll probably be worse!
At some point this or next year I'll be updating the 'scope and camera anyway, but I'd like to have a second camera for secondary targets using my camera lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Camera Clinic in Melbourne (google them) modified my 5DII a few years back.

They must have done a good job, as the camera still works well.

I had the full spectrum modification done as I wanted to do some IR and UV photography....which I am glad I did as I purchased the EOSRa recently which is much more user friendly for nightscape images.

With a full-spectrum mod you will need an Optolong L-Pro or similar filer insert
to mitigate the strong magenta cast the camera's images will have post-modification.
Cheers Peter!
Full Spectrum does sound interesting if the budget allows it. If I don't go down that path is the mod I need just removing the IR cut filter and adding a glass filter in it's place?

A bit confused about all the options

Cheers