ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-07-2020, 07:51 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Mars and Jupiter

Got a bit lucky with the seeing last night, lots of clouds but managed to get a few gaps when it was OK. Wanted to get up at 2 to catch the Io shadow and red spot, but went back to sleep and almost missed it. Got set up a bit late and was surprised the seeing wasn't too bad for a cloudy night with a bit of wind. I'd film Jupiter until I lost it in the clouds, then I'd go to Mars, and when Mars got blocked out I'd go back to Jupiter. Actually worked quite well until everything got clouded, but by then I had what I wanted anyway.
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but I think the ice cap on Mars seems to be getting smaller than it was a few months ago?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (011_pipp_e01111100_ap23_conv (2) - Copy.jpg)
2.6 KB59 views
Click for full-size image (002_pipp_g4_ap68_conv (3).jpg)
5.1 KB53 views
Old 27-07-2020, 10:38 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

The polar caps on Mars always recedes during the martian spring into summer, depending on which pole is inclined toward the sun. By the time we get to opposition it may have disappeared, meaning all the ices will have sublimated out.
Nice catch despite the dancing from one planet to the other even though you missed Saturn on the way.
Old 28-07-2020, 06:09 AM
Quopaz (Nick)

Thanks Jeff, I didn't know that. Hope there's some ice left when it gets to opposition.
I sort of had to miss Saturn that night, because when the clouds got Jupiter they also got Saturn soon after. But I have been doing a bit of Saturn lately too:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (009_pipp_g4_ap25_conv (2) - Copy - Copy.bmp)
180.2 KB19 views
Old 28-07-2020, 11:52 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

yes nice work as usual. and seriously another dust storm mars!!!? hopefully its calmed down and we get a good view come opposition.