ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2015, 10:24 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

SN10 first image - NGC5128

Finally managed to capture an image tonight albeit under a full moon and just over an hour worth of subs. This was taken with the Meade LXD55 SN10/QHY8pro on my EQ6. 15 x 5 min subs. This was really just a test of collimation but nice to have something to show for the night.

I think I've concluded the OTA will need stiffening around the focuser to allow me to use the much heavier QSI WS8 with this scope. That is likely to happen on the weekend . I think I've also concluded stronger primary cell springs are going to help it remain in collimation.

The reason I wanted to get an SN10 was to be able to deal with the dew at Duckadang. I'm pretty confident this optical configuration is going to satisfy that objective.

Finally - I've forgotten how to process images

Comments welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC5128s.jpg)
196.7 KB93 views
Old 05-05-2015, 10:43 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

No dew and corrector plate telescopes are NOT synonymous I regret to say. The Mak-Newt I had dewed up like a ***** - worse than the Mak I had (which was like a magnet in an iron filing factory). Get yourself a heated dewshield.

Promising result.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:35 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Nice first light Peter.
Do you expect this beast will out perform your trusty old 10" though? I thought you had that optimised and understood pretty well, before then dallying with the dark side (refractors ) last couple of years?
Old 06-05-2015, 07:21 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Looks like a good start, Peter! I'm sure it won't take long to get back into processing.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:55 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Welcome back Peter Good start there, have you decided on your main mirror mount yet?

Mike
Old 06-05-2015, 05:41 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Get yourself a heated dewshield.

Promising result.
That's the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Nice first light Peter.
Do you expect this beast will out perform your trusty old 10" though? I thought you had that optimised and understood pretty well, before then dallying with the dark side (refractors ) last couple of years?
Thanks Rob. I'm hoping it will end up being better given it has Meade USA Optics vs. GSO and I can control the dew which was always a challenge with the Newt. at Duckadang. I'm going to keep the refractor now that it is working well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Looks like a good start, Peter! I'm sure it won't take long to get back into processing.

Cheers,
Rick.
Cheers Rick. I really need to spend some time getting to know PI better. I'm still using the batch pre-processing to calibrate,register and stack then jumping back to trusty old PS for curves, levels etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Welcome back Peter Good start there, have you decided on your main mirror mount yet?

Mike
G'day Mike. I have contacted Orion however they have not been very good at getting back with answers. Parsec Instruments have a cell that would slot in very easily.

I need to eliminate a bit of flex around the focuser before I make a decision on replacing the primary cell. I'm planning to install a 200x350x3mm thick rolled aluminium sheet inside the OTA under the focuser (glued and bolted to the OTA). That should spread the camera load a lot better. I suspect the heavier springs I've installed in the primary cell are going to provide 70% of the benefit of a new one and also save a lot of additional weight.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:45 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
G'day Mike. I have contacted Orion however they have not been very good at getting back with answers. Parsec Instruments have a cell that would slot in very easily.

I need to eliminate a bit of flex around the focuser before I make a decision on replacing the primary cell. I'm planning to install a 200x350x3mm thick rolled aluminium sheet inside the OTA under the focuser (glued and bolted to the OTA). That should spread the camera load a lot better. I suspect the heavier springs I've installed in the primary cell are going to provide 70% of the benefit of a new one and also save a lot of additional weight.
Sounds like you have a plan there, a well tuned fast Newt (or Newt like) is pretty useful You have a very useful sized field there too.

Mike
Old 06-05-2015, 06:27 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Sounds like you have a plan there, a well tuned fast Newt (or Newt like) is pretty useful You have a very useful sized field there too.

Mike
Mike,

I'm still a Newt fan and a F/L around 1 to 1.3 metres seems to work quite well with the cameras I've got.

I used the QHY8/MPCC in this shot at 1.6 as/px. When I move to the QSI/Paracorr I'll be at 0.97 as/px. Also might try QSI/MPCC at 1.11 as/px.

I need to work on exposure times with this f4 scope - I'm not convinced I should use 5min subs at home.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:28 PM
ozstronomer (Geoff)

Looks good so far Peter, be interested to see how the extra plate under the focuser works out.

Cheers Geoff
Old 06-05-2015, 09:32 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozstronomer View Post
Looks good so far Peter, be interested to see how the extra plate under the focuser works out.

Cheers Geoff
Thanks Geoff,

Here's the plate as it currently stands - needs a bit more work to get the radius right for this OTA. I'll be gluing it as well as bolting it through the OTA and the Moonlite radius block will also attach to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (backingplate.jpg)
47.3 KB16 views
Old 06-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Rod771 (Rod)
Turn the lights off!

Pretty good for an hour under full Moon, Peter.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:22 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Cheers Rod. Looking forward to New Moon for a proper try.