Old 05-05-2015, 02:34 PM
boardriderz (Jimmy)

QHY5L-II Colour Vs Mono

Hi all,

I am looking into purchasing a guide camera (have been thinking about it for a long time, but finances might finally allow it now). I have been looking at the the QHY and the ZWO cameras. Ideally I would like the Mono version for more sensitivity, however there is a great special on Aliexpress.com right now for a QHY5L-II colour for around $256 AUD, the mono is $372... both shipped, a big difference!

My question is, will I miss the sensitivity in the colour version needed for guiding? At the moment I am imaging through an AT8IN, AT6RC or AT65Q astrographs and would guide through the AT65Q or a finder, and I am looking at the possibility of an OAG (but once again in the future as that setup is more $ still). I have an Orion Atlas EDQ (EQ6, I used to live in Canada and purchased all my current gear there before moving back to Australia). I have never done any guiding up to this point.

The Mono is really out of my reasonable price range right now and I would also like to do some planetary imaging as well in the future (but probably not with filters).

I think the QHY5L-II colour would work well, but am I missing anything?
Old 05-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

I have the color version of the QHY5L-II and the sensitivity is more than adequate for guiding.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:19 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I agree with Eden, it works well enough for most cases.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hi Jimmy,

With an OAG, the higher the sensitivity the better. So if you are planning to use an OAG, mono would be better.

Having said that, you can still use colour one for guiding and I am sure it will be adequate in most cases.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

For planetary imaging without filters -> go for the color one!
James
Old 06-05-2015, 09:54 AM
jase (Jason)

Depending on circumstances, you would probably be binning the guide camera 2x2 anyway so I wouldn't be worried about sensitivity with a colour ccd. The intelligence in camera control software detecting a star's centroid makes guiding on an unrecognisable 'blob' achievable. No need for pretty stars to guide on.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:24 AM
boardriderz (Jimmy)

Thanks for the responses, I think I might have to just bite the bullet and get the colour option.