Old 05-08-2017, 11:54 PM
kramenyak77 (Kayne)

Focuser???

Reading the informative article on CCD astrophotography, "RGB Planetary Imaging with a Monochrome Camera", I note that the author regards a motorised or electronic focuser as essential. But I also note that the article is relatively dated.
I have a Celestron 925 EdgeHD on a CGX mount and use a ZWO ASI 1600mm CCD with ZWO RGB and narrowband filters on a ZWO filter wheel.
Should I be buying one of these focusers? If so, any recommendations?
Old 06-08-2017, 12:48 AM
glend (Glen)

No. You don't need a morotised focuser. You can manually focus your existing camera/filter setup with the stock Edge focuser. Planetary imaging is easier with a One Shot Colour camera like the very nice ASI224MC, or even a DSLR. With a mono camera and filter wheel you have to derotate the image in order to align your colours taken at different times.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:51 PM
raymo

Whilst I don't think a motorised focuser is essential, I have to say that
fitting an electric drive to my focuser was quite possibly the best $89.50
I have ever spent on astro gear. Just not having to touch the OTA whilst focusing was sheer looksharay, as they used to say in a TV series set in Yorkshire. Of course, the luxury gets less as the mass of the scope rises,
until eventually the scope doesn't shake at all when the focuser is touched.
raymo
Old 07-08-2017, 07:46 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I'd say get a good quality focuser, I put in a dual speed focuser in my 11" edge (feathertouch i think), its not electric but so responsive and made a massive difference. Don't find the cheapest electric you can find especially on a good OTA, I have a lower end electric focuser on a refractor and yes it works well but because of the steps it doesn't always get perfect focus, its far better than its stock focuser but lets the optics down. So do your homework before deciding on a purchase and get the right focuser for your scope and needs, if your view is wobbling when you focus you might want to address the mount/tripod first do you have a bahtinov mask?