Old 24-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Visionary (David)

Selling Astro Gear

In the first instance, I would like to express my gratitude for the patience and understanding of the ICER's who have helped me rationalise my equipment holdings.
My main point is this, my Astro equipment had grown exponentially and in the absence of any overall plan has resulted in considerable equipment investment without necessarily fulfilling or satisfying my overall equipment needs. The equipment I have "rehome" though excellent all to a greater or less extent failed to meet my unique equipment needs (I am disabled).
I have learnt an important lesson, never purchase gear randomly. All equipment purchases need to comply with "the plan", a stated objective. This requires an element of self-control that has here to eluded me. My only exception to this rule are Baader 2" filters, can you ever have enough?
So to my question, how do other ICER's plan their equipment purchases? Or do you purchase as I did, randomly, haphazardly? Those who have been working an equipment plan, where has the plan got you and for how long have you worked the plan?
In closing, again, my thanks for those ICER's who have stood by me as I fumbled and stumbled with the dispatching of my "rehomed" gear.
Old 24-08-2017, 02:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Happens in most hobbies.
But a plan is important to know what you want to achieve.
Think of fishermen. They sit at home making rigs for this or that, boxes of lures hooks swivels etc.
How many get used?
But buying something gives one a lift even if its never used...
Alex
Old 24-08-2017, 03:41 PM
gregw (Greg)

Doing or Collecting

I think there is a difference between having the gear you need to do a job and collecting gear because you become interested. Collecting seems to become a natural tendency whether its astronomical gear or earth moving gear. Rather than have lots of stuff I think the best bet is to work out what you need (magnification, field of vision, eye relief, exit pupil etc) and then go for the best gear you can afford favouring quality over quantity.
Old 24-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

For myself, I've had to buy a number of different telescopes to find out what I want. 18 months ago I had aperture fever wanting a premium 18 dob.

As I don get out to dark skies nearly enough now for observing my perfect telescope is the best 8-10" for planetary/Luna views on an EQ mount for comfort.

Although I've made a lot of purchases, I've also sold a lot of them
Old 24-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Visionary (David)

Having a predilection towards collecting has made this a very expensive hobby/passion/obsession to date. My plate is much cleaner now and I believe within the scope (pardon the pun) of my consolidated plan I am definitely, well a definite maybe, at the end of my acquisition stage.
As far as I can see, there are a few things I need a Celestron Starsense, and a good eyepiece at about 10-13mm. Of course, this hasn't stopped me buying a new set of rings...
Stuff this, I am going to take up the pokies, it has to be cheaper than this Astro lark.
Old 24-08-2017, 06:10 PM
sharpiel

I bought with a plan in mind, tho plans change with life.

I'm about to begin listing equipment for sale as I want to rationalise my odds and ends down to a minimalist approach.
Old 24-08-2017, 07:58 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Buy to solve a problem
Old 24-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Wavytone

Les the real trouble starts when you've just bought what you think was right... and then a dream scope turns up secondhand that forces a complete rethink.

I've done this twice.

Once last year after selling al my gear I talked myself into a nice APO setup after seeing someone else's. It had barely arrived when someone offered a perfect 7" mak secondhand which easily slayed the APO and any 8" SCT on everything you pointed it at.

A year later having just got all that sorted, a dream scope turned up... a Santel MK91. I knew of this scope but never dreamed the owner would part with it. The prices of a new Russian 9" mak were eye-watering, never mind the delivery time as they were built to order and in 2016 production ceased.

Anyhow... now the owner of a Russian Tank I have decided to part with everything else to fund a new mount and eyepieces... once I decide which ones.

Last edited by Wavytone; 24-08-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 24-08-2017, 08:32 PM
kinetic (Steve)
ATMer and Saganist

I was out in the dome the other day after a long hiatus over winter.
On the bench I noticed I had FOUR 50mm spotters of assorted brands
and configurations. I had to do a double take.
One was from the ED80, one was from the son's scope, one was probably
from the main scope.....nope, that was still in place! Then it must be
the one spare I bought on a whim...nope, that was piggybacked on the
main scope too....So I have 2 spare I don't even remember buying

Steve