Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 23-08-2017, 02:04 PM
HarryD (Greg)

Voyager missions and getting old

Hi to you all
I have just watched the second episode of The Farthest on the ABC.
It’s all about the voyager missions and well worth watching.
Several thoughts crossed my mind while watching this excellent documentary.
In 1989 I took my three young children (7, 6 and 5 at the time) to see the first close up pictures from Voyager 2 of Neptune at the Power house Museum here in Sydney. A large screen had been set up and as I said to my kids, no one has seen this before in all of human history. They still remember. Alas the Powerhouse seems to have an uncertain future.
I wonder how a country can organise and carry out a mission like the two Voyagers and now be unable to launch a human into orbit and elect Trump as their President?
When I was a teenager in the 1960’s, I'm 68 now, it seemed anything was possible. Somewhere along the way we seem to have lost the urge to obtain knowledge for knowledge sake. Bit sad really.
Cheers
Greg
Old 23-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Nightshift

Well Greg, I missed the series and after reading your accolades I got excited so I settled down to watch it on iview just now but after 6 minutes I had to turn it off, worst soundtrack of a documentary I have ever had to endure, it looked quite promising as a docco but I just couldn't get past the constant horrible piano playing and unrelated sound effects, I found it frustrating to hear and watch. Shame they do this to what would be an educational film. Never mind, something better will come along soon I hope.
Old 23-08-2017, 09:49 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I watched both episodes on ABC HD when they aired and thought they were excellent docos on the Voyager missions. Can highly recommend them to anyone who hasn't watched them yet. Was much better watching on widescreen tv rather than a computer screen but will watch them again on iview soon.
Old 23-08-2017, 11:12 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshift View Post
Well Greg, I missed the series and after reading your accolades I got excited so I settled down to watch it on iview just now but after 6 minutes I had to turn it off, worst soundtrack of a documentary I have ever had to endure, it looked quite promising as a docco but I just couldn't get past the constant horrible piano playing and unrelated sound effects, I found it frustrating to hear and watch. Shame they do this to what would be an educational film. Never mind, something better will come along soon I hope.
I reckon you should just have turned the sound down for a little while as it was an excellent program and really worth watching on the big screen.
Cheers
Old 24-08-2017, 09:36 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
In 1989 I took my three young children (7, 6 and 5 at the time) to see the first close up pictures from Voyager 2 of Neptune at the Power house Museum here in Sydney.
Anybody in the Brisbane area who wants to get their socks blown off by some stunning astro-photos should get along to the Queensland Museum to see "Michael Benson’s Otherworlds: Visions of our Solar System". It's a collection of 64 absolutely jaw-dropping images, professionally printed to poster size (and bigger) - and with a specially commissioned "ambient" sound-track by Brian Eno. (Many of the images have been seen before - but the impact when you see them professionally processed and printed, rather than just on a computer screen, is not to be missed.)

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Events+and+...s#.WZ4eNj4jFEY

Absolutely superb - and free!
Old 24-08-2017, 01:03 PM
drylander (Peter)

Getting old is a bonus. Prefer that to the alternative.