Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2020, 10:56 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Vic Stage 4 Lockdown- would like a curfew with that?

I can just see the headlines now- “Local astronomer cops astronomical fine for breaking night time curfew in backyard! “
Another six weeks (Sigh)
Chin up fellow Melbournites, it's for the greater good - Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....
Old 02-08-2020, 11:10 PM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

Pretty much. If the COVID crisis goes on for much longer I will have all the bugs ironed out of this ... but on my own with much frustration
Old 02-08-2020, 11:10 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I quite like working from home the commute was killing me
Old 03-08-2020, 03:08 AM
Xeteth (David)

At this stage I'm somewhat numb to all this isolation, I've barely left the house for the majority of the year. I'm glad we're going into stage 4 so we can just get the damn thing done. Never would I thought this kind of situation would be happening, but here we are. I just hope it works and we can get some form of normality back.

On the plus side, it's given me a chance to focus on my studies and finish off my Masters course which is a real blessing! I just wish I had equipment at the moment, perfect time for it really!
Old 03-08-2020, 07:07 AM
leon

If we all work together and abide by the rules we might get some normalisation, instead of some of the twits who think they are bullet proof, however I fear a vaccine might be the only answer.

Stay safe people

Leon
Old 03-08-2020, 08:17 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Living in Mitchell shire (I am right at one edge of the shire and can practically see houses in Macedon Ranges from here) it feels a little strange, I have suddenly gone from being inside the ring fence looking out to outside the fence, looking in.

Hopefully the changes last night get the job done in curbing the spread of the virus with as little economic damage as possible and things can get back to something closer to normal, I have to say in my (Essential services) role I did not notice when out and about all that great a reduction in traffic either car or pedestrian this time around, I was thinking for a long time that this was inevitable. Every time I have to go in to the city I pass by the Bunnings at Cragieburn and the car park is as full as I have seen it every time. It seems people are going there just because they can, kind of defeats the purpose of stay at home orders.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

As a gardener I’ve been hitting the roads daily since the beginning of this. The traffic today is a bit down on last week but it’s a long way ahead of what it was like in the first lockdown. I do believe that so many people are simply fed up with the lock downs.

I’m just sad whenever I see clear skies at my dark site I cannot visit when it’s near perpetually cloudy in Melbourne
Old 03-08-2020, 12:22 PM
glend (Glen)

I had to laugh at the Bunnings CEO arguing that his stores in Victoria should deemed an essential service.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:31 PM
leon

Hell yea Glen, I do love going to Bunnings.

Leon
Old 03-08-2020, 04:36 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Bunnings is being closed as of midnight Wednesday.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:10 PM
sharpiel

The problem with lockdowns is people. If it wasn’t for them the lockdowns would be much more effective.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:20 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Good luck guys ...while ever so many, many people simply just don't understand/realise the implications of this new corona virus, thinking it is just another flu and it won't affect me!... ie no clue that it has such a highly contagious incubation period, during which many infected people can show little or no symptoms for as much as a week to 10 days, causing many to walk around oblivious to their level of contagiousness, spreading it around willy nilly.... and then the fact that the virus causes a damaging auto immune response in the lungs of many unfortunate people, that leads to serious illness, hospitalisation, ICU/ventilation requirement and death in a large number of people....what chance have we got...really....?

Mike
Old 04-08-2020, 09:33 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Hang in there! It's a high price to pay but the alternative is worse.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:22 AM
DarkArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I had to laugh at the Bunnings CEO arguing that his stores in Victoria should deemed an essential service.
Bunnings is essential for men's mental health!
Old 04-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

What is it with Melburnians wanting to be like Europeans?! It’s not a desirable strategy in these circumstances

Seriously though, hope you guys all behave yourselves, nail this thing and stay safe

Otherwise us in the Deep North will be asking for Mexit...
Old 04-08-2020, 10:42 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

We’re currently surrounded by the Berlin Wall
Old 04-08-2020, 10:46 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Bit of a sh|tshow downsouth but it could be much worse. We're doing incredibly well with controlling our numbers. Bit of a worry the latest WHO news on candidate vaccines. Doesn't sound too good and clear cut as expected. Hopefully we can mitigate and manage as we go.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:56 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

as i look outside at the hail falling heavy the weather has turned back to a traditional melbourne winter (it has been actually pretty warm and sunny) - with the upcoming week looking not much better. that'll keep most people inside. not so good for astro however
Old 04-08-2020, 11:08 AM
Allan

Sadly the Pandemic is shining a light on how many stupid and selfish people we have walking amongst us in society. They are not going to modify their behaviour, so this is the new normal unless we have a successful vaccine.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:31 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Daniel Andrews is expected to announce a permit system for Greater Melbourne, requiring people to show papers to authorities when they’re out and about.

The Victorian Premier has flagged the idea as the capital enters a strict stage four lockdown in a bid to slow the rapid spread of coronavirus.

hmmmm

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...49e8f05a775ee8