Old 05-05-2012, 01:12 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas View Post
Must say that I'm surprised that Theo doesn't uphold his end of the bargain with a camera that is still under warrantee and with a fix that QHY himself has offered to other people. If the camera is still under warrantee then if the manufacturer has offered replacement parts to fix that problem then it's up to the dealer to do it and not the purchaser.
Crikey thats a big statement mate. Theo would have to be the best dealer for CCD camera's in this country bar non. He has had my camera fixed free of charge well after the local warrenty expired and has offered instant and good advice on every occassion I have needed help. Theo you are champ and I am very grateful for all the help you have given me over the past 4 years .

I think the biggest mistake QHY have made commercially is being so open about problems and offering advice allowing customers to repair their own camera's if they feel competent to do so. Although I appreciate this element of openess it has made them a target for all be it elitists or just armchair experts. If it was my business customers would never be allowed to open up camera's and still retain their warranty. That the camera's are worthy of consideration is evident from the many pics floating around showing great results are well within the camera's ability. I personally have never had my QHY camera fog up even at -30 degrees but then I have never personally had need to open it up either. Nor have I ever had problems installing drivers (in 4 years) and it has always had me a little confused as to how people make such a mess of it....follow the instructions they are there to guide.

Mark

Last edited by marki; 05-05-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Rastas

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Crikey thats a big statement mate. Theo would have to be the best dealer for CCD camera's in this country bar non. He has had my camera fixed free of charge well after the local warrenty expired and has offered instant and good advice on every occassion I have needed help. Theo you are champ and I am very grateful for all the help you have given me over the past 4 years .

I think the biggest mistake QHY have made commercially is being so open about problems and offering advice allowing customers to repair their own camera's if they feel competent to do so. Although I appreciate this element of openess it has made them a target for all be it elitists or just armchair experts. If it was my business customers would never be allowed to open up camera's and still retain their warranty. That the camera's are worthy of consideration is evident from the many pics floating around showing great results are well within the camera's ability. I personally have never had my QHY camera fog up even at -30 degrees but then I have never personally had need to open it up either. Nor have I ever had problems installing drivers (in 4 years) and it has always had me a little confused as to how people make such a mess of it....follow the instructions they are there to guide.

Mark
Mark
Why is that a big statement? The first 5 words State I'm surprised.... That was made in relation to Theo's reputation normally being of assistance to his customers and not letting something drag on for 18 months.
The camera is still under warrantee is it not? Then why should the owner then have to implement the fix rather than the dealer or manufacturer?
I'm glad you have had great service from Theo as have many other but because some are showing faults etc then don't get so emotional about it, the facts are simple and even an armchair individual can see that.
Rastas
Old 05-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Gama

Rastas,
The Australian warranty is 1 (One) year, with two additional years that the factory gives (But needs to be sent yourself with the "Help Ticket" system). You can work things out from that.
The owner doesnt have to implement, and in fact the owner "Wants" to implement the fix himself. The offer and preference was made to send it back.
But i must honour the side of the customer over anything else.
So this is why you need to get a few facts before making a broad comment.
I have nothing against this, but it would help to see the entire picture, and not as what happened ealier.
Any hoot, this needs to be back on the original question posted.. Over to you guys..

Theo
Old 05-05-2012, 08:11 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Lol I would have got it sent back to the makers, they would have binned yours and sent out a brand new camera which would be the latest revision in that line. I don't know what degree and in what field of engineering you have or which university you studied at, though you failed to factor in the damage already done because of this fault.

Last edited by 2stroke; 05-05-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
Lol I would have got it sent back to the makers, they would have binned yours and sent out a brand new camera which would be the latest revision in that line. I don't know what degree and in what field of engineering you have or which university you studied at, though you failed to factor in the damage already done because of this fault.
Good one Jay. Thanks for your contribution.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas View Post
Mark
Why is that a big statement? The first 5 words State I'm surprised.... That was made in relation to Theo's reputation normally being of assistance to his customers and not letting something drag on for 18 months.
The camera is still under warrantee is it not? Then why should the owner then have to implement the fix rather than the dealer or manufacturer?
I'm glad you have had great service from Theo as have many other but because some are showing faults etc then don't get so emotional about it, the facts are simple and even an armchair individual can see that.
Rastas
No emotion intened at all, simply relaying my experiance with these camera's and Theo as a dealer. I know if I was in Peters situation (and there is obviously a problem with the camera) I would have it on the plane back home before you could light a match, it only takes 2 - 3 weeks and the weather is pretty average in any case.

Mark
Old 31-05-2012, 05:48 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Time for an update - the new nosepiece arrived on Friday and fits perfectly (M57x1 thread). They also sent a new gasket that looks a bit more substantial than the original one.

Ran the camera at -15C all night last Saturday without any issues.

Clouds rolled in early this week so I haven't had another go but things are looking good and I'm pretty confident my troubles are now sorted.

The takeaway from all this for me is I'm glad I purchased the QHY8 from Theo as he made all this happen. Trying to ship this camera back to China on my own would have been a nightmare.

My experience confirms what others have said about Theo's excellent support.

Thanks for sorting this out Theo
Old 31-05-2012, 07:40 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Cool bananas!
Glad you have it sorted Peter.
Chalk up another one for Theo....