Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Mobile Astronomy Apps

Old 14-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Android - Sky Safari 6 Beta

Finally, it seems that we are almost ready to receive the latest offering of Sky Safari 6, on the better operating system!

I received an email a couple of days ago, saying that if I wanted in on the beta program, then I had to sign in to the SimulationCurriculum website, and do a couple of other things, in order to get hold of a beta copy.

With no time on my hands as it is, I didn't take it up, but it's good to know that we have not been entirely forgotten.

As for timeframes, I did read online that the final Android release could be as early as late August.

We can only hope.
Old 14-08-2018, 09:15 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I think you still have to pay for it, but it's 50% off.
Old 31-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

I'm apart of the beta testing and so far it has been better than 5 hands down
Old 31-08-2018, 08:11 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzburg View Post
I'm apart of the beta testing and so far it has been better than 5 hands down
Good to hear If you have time, could you please elaborate on any improvements?

I'm curious to see if Tiangong-1 has been removed. I still get the alerts occasionally from the phone that it's "rising" (from the dead?).
Old 31-08-2018, 10:11 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

I've been using the SS6 Pro Beta for a couple of weeks now, and it looks like the full release is just a few days away. (iOS version has been available for some time, I believe.)

It is generally very similar to SS5, but the interface is a lot more polished than previously - everything just seems to work "better", and it also seems to be a lot more stable - no crashes to report.

Apart from a bit of general "spit and polish", the main enhancements I've noticed are better grouping and access to the features that you are likely to use for planning a session and then undertaking that session (selecting equipment, observing site, etc) - plus the synchronisation of your data to their own Cloud Store (LiveSky).

I really like the interactive HR Diagram as well (In-App purchase required) - as you zoom in on a target area, you can see the scatter of HR Classifications for the brightest stars in the field of view, with your selected "target" star highlighted - very neat!
Old 31-08-2018, 12:17 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
I've been using the SS6 Pro Beta for a couple of weeks now, and it looks like the full release is just a few days away. ...
- very neat!

Thanks Dude,

For the simple way I use it, my only small gripe was having the "info" and "Compass" buttons so far away from each other. I often use the compass mode to double check what I'm looking at, then want the info for it, NGC#, etc. It would be nice if those 2 buttons didn't need a swipe to reach in succession.

1st world problems, I know
Old 31-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

Tiangong 1 is dead and buried
Old 01-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

You can configure how you want the buttons to be and which order you'd like them.

Go into settings and look for appearance and behaviour, in the behaviour section at the bottom is configure toolbar. Click on that and will give you a list of what's in the toolbar and what can be put into the toolbar with check boxes next to them.
Click item, it'll turn blue then with the arrows at the top rearrange to how you like it. It's something SS5 doesn't have. Hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Thanks Dude,

For the simple way I use it, my only small gripe was having the "info" and "Compass" buttons so far away from each other. I often use the compass mode to double check what I'm looking at, then want the info for it, NGC#, etc. It would be nice if those 2 buttons didn't need a swipe to reach in succession.

1st world problems, I know
Old 02-09-2018, 08:21 AM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzburg View Post
You can configure how you want the buttons to be and which order you'd like them.... Hope that helps
That does help Sir, I look forward to getting the new version. Thankyou
Old 02-09-2018, 09:28 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I see it's available on IOS now. Can't wait to see it on Android. I use it all the time on the field.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

It's been IOS for about 6 months or so as far as I know
Old 05-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Malcolm

Pro is out for Android now. 1.7GB download.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Woohoo! Downloading it now.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Chapstick

Might be time for a new phone...or a tablet, anyone got any recommendations?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:55 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Seems the custom fovs scope/cameras are missing or they have moved? I found some settings under the icon now called observation but I can't seem to be able to display the camera/scope fovs on the planisphere. Under settings the telescope section has a few missing entries. I wish we could import all the settings from 5 to 6.

Last edited by multiweb; 05-09-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

You can import all of your saved SS5 data into SS6. The process depends on whether you were saving them to local storage, or backing up to Google Drive. Instructions are at the top of the Help file in the app. SS6 data is automatically synced to SkySafari's own LiveSky Cloud storage (free for SS6 Plus and Pro users).

All of your equipment settings, FOV indicators, etc, should all be imported, once you have done the one-time import, and will be synced across multiple devices.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:59 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I saved locally in 5. Will do some reading about transfering settings.
PS: cool, that worked beautifully! That's where you've got to love android for file management.

Last edited by multiweb; 05-09-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:13 AM
Malcolm

After buying this I've made probably about a dozen failed attempts to download this app. I think I've downloaded about 4GB of data from my isp trying to get this. I've rolled back PlayStore, turned off auto-update apps, deleted and replaced my Google account, cleared data and cache within PlayStore, rebooted multiple times after doing this and after getting around 450MB it fails with a 495 error. Prior to that error I was getting a "Waiting for WiFi" error when I was clearly connected. Seem to have solved that one only to encounter the 495 error. I have over 5GB of free space. My last resort is to try from a friends place who has NBN wireless, if it fails there I'll be after a refund and re-install 5 Pro. I'm on Telstra ADSL2 here, and my phone is a relatively new Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:18 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I downloaded a bit over a GB and it just installed without a glitch. I'm using a 5 year old Samsung Galaxy TAB 3.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:12 AM
Malcolm

It would be good if you could get this outside of PlayStore and side-load it to the device. Unfortunately as it's a paid app it's just not possible to prevent piracy. Meanwhile Google PlayStore on my PC tells me it's installed, which it isn't, so the refund button is no longer available. If I can't get this over another connection I've done my money.