Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2019, 09:29 AM
rockerpeller (Will)

Hi From Hastings Vic

Hi people,

My name is Will, and I've just come across this forum whilst looking for more info regarding mounts.
What started out as an innocent movie night watching "Deep Impact" with my kids, has seemed to light a fire or fascination for astronomy. Works for me, as I was going to get them something eventually although I didn't expect it to be this soon.
So I bit the bullet and got them something small for their 7th Birthday gift, a Star-Watcher SW707 AZ2 from Bintel.
Arrived Monday, works, they got to see what they thought was Saturn's Rings, but I noticed how much trouble they had trying to locate and keep Saturn in view. Watching them get so excited to see other planets, kinda got me curious. Always wanted to have a go at astronomy. So bit the bullet again and picked up a 2nd hand Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ on Saturday.
Once again another earlier than expected purchase. Definitely not a waste of money by no means. Feeding their curiosity and feeding their thirst is fun, besides it lets me have a go too.
This is gonna get expensive quick. They are already talking about having their own observatory in the back yard. Hopefully the next upgrade isn't within 6 days again.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Imme (Jon)

Great to see you're fostering a love of the night sky. My advice to you - see if there are any astro clubs down your way and drop in to see them one night. Chatting to people from the club and seeing what their scopes can do will give you a much better understanding of what way you want to go equipment wise. You're right in saying things can get expensive quickly in this hobby....I spent way too much heading down the wrong track gear wise initially. I should have taken my own advice and gone to a club night!

PS.....please say hi to your bank manager for us hahahahaha
Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 AM
rockerpeller (Will)

Club night is the plan so far. Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society is having a public viewing night this coming Friday, which we're planning to attend.
As for the bank manager, think they're used to it. After finishing up my reef aquarium hobby, this is already cheaper by far
Old 01-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Hi Will,
MPAS also run the occasional Telescope Learning day to help beginners learn how to use the telescopes they've bought. Though if you join the society and bring it along to a viewing night, I'm pretty sure someone could give your 130EQ a spin and show you some of the show piece sights through it.

Though the 130EQ comes with a pointer rather than a finderscope. You may need to buy a finderscope for it to find smaller objects. Depends how good your eyesight is.
Regards,
Renato
Old 01-07-2019, 04:14 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Congratulations Will … you have taken your first steps into a much bigger universe.
Welcome to IceInSpace
So much to see, and eye opening to see how fragile and insignificant we are in the great Cosmos.
Have fun finding new stuff.
And for your next upgrade have a good long look at an 8" or 10" Dobsonian.
Best value for money spent IMHO.
Then you can also upgrade to GoTo and tracking down the line.
But take your time.