ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-11-2015, 05:30 PM
roddz (Rodd)

Great Camp!

Another great camp. Thanks Malcolm and others.
While going through my pics from Sunday night I spotted this 5 armed Alien!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Alien.jpg)
196.1 KB78 views
Old 14-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

Been running around this week but finally processed a couple of pictures from camp.
Got the family group shot here and a field shot.
Had a good time with great company and at least one exceptional night sky so all good.
Some new faces and the regulars, shame a few couldn't make it but I think all those who attended had a pretty reasonable time.
Thanks to all who set up everything and the few of us who cleaned up on Tuesday morning, all went well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NICO4042.jpg)
236.2 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (NICO4030.jpg)
233.9 KB93 views
Click for full-size image (NICO3997.jpg)
207.7 KB89 views
Old 15-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Julian

Re Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstream View Post
Couldn't agree more Wren, where's my observing buddy? The only visual left is me and Paul but hey, it's still November!
at least we got your WIFi Servo Cat working, after replacing the batteries in the hand controller, which was good, WOW 47 TUC looked awesome never seen anything like it!! As did many other objects.
Old 15-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Julian

Re snake valley camp

Thanks to Malcolm and Paul Fitzgerald and everyone else including John, Paul Byron also for letting me use their scopes.
Old 15-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Greenswale (Wren)

Yep, 47 Tuc, superb seeing, and an SDM with Ethos made for a sincerely memorable view.

I gave up counting the 'WOW!' exclamations. Spectacular!
Old 15-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenswale View Post
Yep, 47 Tuc, superb seeing, and an SDM with Ethos made for a sincerely memorable view.

Sure did,
Fantastic telescopes alright, 31mm wonderful wide angle eyepiece.

Nice meeting you Wren too.

Last edited by Julian; 15-11-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 16-11-2015, 01:26 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi all
Well I am finally back home with access to the internet. Where we were staying in Tassie last week, I only had very limited access.
Anyway it sounds like all went well. Thank you to everyone who attended and made the camp another success. I hope that you all had a great time.
Big thankyous are due. Firstly to Paul Byron for his cheerful work with me putting it all together and taking responsibility when I couldn't be around. Next to Barry for the excellent tour in Ballarat. Paul, Barry, Nick and myself are the Committee that puts this on. Unfortunately, Nick couldn't be there but has made a strong contribution this year to the Camps we have put on. Others are Andrew for the presentation on Sat arvo, Ken for taking the group shot, Pam and Warren for the "Happy Hour", everyone who contributed at the meeting and a big thank you to everyone who helped with the cleanup on Tuesday. John G apparently did quite a bit of teaching on Sunday so thanks John. Good to see Marc trek down from NSW to join us so thanks for adding a new face to the SV crew!!I have probably forgotten someone, but will cover that with a general thanks to everyone!!

If you have any issues, please let me know. If things don't work as well as we hope, we can't do much if we don't hear about it!!

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 16-11-2015, 08:11 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I will stick my hand up to say I was really happy with the camp, Friday weather aside, things pretty much just worked, and the few niggles that came up pretty well sort themselves out with the usual camaraderie, usually figuring out how to get power down to one more scope.

The only thing in my mind for future camps would be if we can get the Saturday feast going again that would be great. I would be happy enough myself to pay a little extra for a catered spit roast or similar on the Saturday night but I can not speak for anyone else.
Old 17-11-2015, 10:36 PM
danielsun
Canon collector

Hey Great pics and as expected sounds like it was another great camp, they always are and great work Malcolm , Paul, Niko and others for keeping it going.
Thanks for the well wishes guys and sorry I couldn't make it but it's a very busy time for me at the moment with some family health issues but I was thinking of you guys all weekend.
By some of the pics it looks like there were some nice clear skies there.
Keep the pics and reports rolling in and hope to see you all in March.

Hey John, (Xtream) it will still be my shout next time for the Dolcetto.

Cheers daniel.
Old 18-11-2015, 10:17 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

My attempt at the Horsehead and Sculptor (NGC 253). Still learning Image Plus processing (Help! John G!)
Bo
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (lowres.jpg)
192.4 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (lowres253.jpg)
150.3 KB46 views

Last edited by traveller; 18-11-2015 at 10:37 PM. Reason: adding images
Old 19-11-2015, 09:13 AM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
My attempt at the Horsehead and Sculptor (NGC 253). Still learning Image Plus processing (Help! John G!)
Bo

Practice my friend, practice....
Old 19-11-2015, 01:12 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Bo
Very good data there. Processing is all the fun.
Old 19-11-2015, 04:27 PM
traveller (Bo)

Thanks JohnG and Marc, yes processing is the other half of the game...
There wasn't a lot of data, the Horsehead had 16x180 sec subs and the NGC 253 only had 4x180 sec subs...
Bo
Old 22-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Nico (John)

After some processing I've come up with this attempt of NGC 2070 aka Tarantula Nebula, well half of it anyway!. I had pretty limited data mostly because I stepped on the USB connection between camera and PC. Did'nt realise for some time and in the process lost many subs. Anyway image consists of 1 luminance sub, 2 of green and blue and one of red. Processed in Pixinsight.

Hope you like it

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC2070LRGB.jpg)
161.2 KB54 views
Old 23-11-2015, 01:32 PM
traveller (Bo)

Looks good John, and nice to have met you too.
Bo
Old 28-11-2015, 09:57 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
at least we got your WIFi Servo Cat working, after replacing the batteries in the hand controller, which was good, WOW 47 TUC looked awesome never seen anything like it!! As did many other objects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenswale View Post

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the view, the 21mm Ethos certainly takes in a nice fov.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:17 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Wow sorry guys I have been so slack getting my reports in for this camp back to you all, I hope it will be worth the wait hahahaha I have been flat out ever since LOL
Well according to my fit bit I only had thirteen hours sleep once again during the whole camp (yes I was there for the whole four nights hahaha) Soooo it took me about a week to recover then I wanted to get back out under the dark skies with the new information I was taught over the weekend before I forgot and pulled another massive two weekend astro binge with very minimal sleep Which I got my very first pic of Plaeides see pic below woohooo
Anyway then my daughter moved back home to where she belongs (yikes) so I had some re-arranging to do around house then she moved out two weeks later on a good note this time yayyy she got a job in melb so off she went then running around after Drew with his MMA gradings and concerts and my gym sessions (which now that im finally feeling much better I have lost 6.6kilos woohooo)
Anyway my life is now back to normal well as normal as Jens life gets anyway hahahaha
What an awesome camp once again cloudy Friday night but that’s cool I got to have a few bevvies and catch up with all my favs and make some new friends and let the noobies know who the PURPLE JEN is hahahaha Im hoping I havnt scared them off
Saturday arvo tour of Ballarat Observatory was awesome thanks Baz I even got a selfie with some of those awesome scopes and I touched one too yayyyyy and Wren I really enjoyed our D&M’s in your vehicle there and back soooooo funny mmm chippies nom nom nom.
Thanks Pam & Wazza for the yummy afternoon of cheese n bikkies you know you are now expected to do this at every camp now, Andrews presentation was super cool and made me want to spend more money thanks for that hahahahaha And free entertainment from Drew on the electric guitar hes just getting better and better every day (proud mum right here)
Saturday night was awesome but I had dramas getting going when I finally realised my scope said I was still in Swan Hill grrrrr I finally got going and managed to get only 5x3minute subs of orion for the evening see pic below (not too shabby for five subs if i dont say so myself) then I watched the sun come up hahahaha
Sunday wow photoshop session was in full swing man that is such a complicated program there is so much in there to learn (it still does my head in the minute I open up that program) hahaha but thank you once again John Glossop for your patience and taking out your own time to sit with me to help me get cracking on this new journey of mine heading into astrophotography which im enjoying it so much right now the challenge is very rewarding when those pics pop up on the computer screen woohoooo and thanks Froggy who gave me a few handy processing tips too and everyone else who had handy tips
Such awesome fellas
Sunday night what a cracker that was best skies ive seen at SV in a long time, scope and everything was going well, I turned on scope and weeeeee I was off just like that…… my scope was happily doing its thing on NGC/253 & then the horsehead nebula (see pics below) so I got to go around and have a look at the big big scopes with much excitement out on the field (adults only comments inserted here) buahahahaha….. Dave M , Jamie and John got me giggling my head off at something there at one point I lost it LOL (those after midnight giggles are the best) I think Paddy went to bed with Samantha Fox on his mind LMFAO awesome night and I got to watch a beautiful sunrise AGAIN
Monday more photoshop lessons I spent a lot of this camp re-processing and practicing doing different techniques in photoshop and Startools (OMG I love startools) hehehe to the point that some people were getting worried and wondering if I was OK I was a little quiet at times hahahahaha I love these camps so much I want to learn as much as I can when I get to these events cause I don’t have anyone close by to teach me at home unfortunately (astro camp in Swan Hill maybe one day yes yes yes)
Monday night didn’t do its usual thing of being the best night for weather this time round nawwwwww so we had lots of chats and giggles, and had some yummy PAV cheers Jamie most people packed up except for me of course I wasn’t giving up, hahahha I got a few sucker holes after 1:30am so I took some widefield shots while everyone was sleeping and cleaned up the rec room after a sugar overdose from the pav I was wide awake
Tuesday morning as usual I was the last one to pack up AGAIN hahaha
The only thing I hate about these camps is the fact that I never get to say goodbye to everyone with the very little sleep that I have at these camps you all seem to go when im sleeping mmmmm im starting to see a pattern here hahahhaha cheers everyone and I cant wait to see you all again and do it again in March
Thank you so much Malcolm, Paul, Niko and the crew for keeping this camp going, its so much more than an astronomy camp its one big astro family getting together doing what we love regardless of the weather I would still go just to see you all again
I remember the first time I got brave enough to come to one of these camps all I had was my baby six inch newt that I didn’t even know how to use I used to pick up the whole scope and turn it around to point it at the direction I wanted to go hahahahhaa (how embarrassing) I didn’t know what the clutches were for (how dumb) I didn’t even own a laptop or a camera and I arrived with only one blanket and one jacket to my very first camp.
But I was a quick learner thanks to you guys I now have an empty bank account, I now need to use hubbys ute and rock up with like five blankets, lots of warm clothes, I have an ED/80 with a heq5/pro mount, I have Johnny my 12" dobbie, a solar scope, cameras guide scopes dew heaters laptops, polari, shower tent, tables n chairs and lots and lots of eyepieces and other toys and software. Marty I have my remote thingy now so I can now have pretty purple led lights too Oh and don’t forget the UE boom box being the queen of music on the field I could have sold a dozen of them last camp hehehehe
And im now producing pics like below woohoooo I still have a long way to go but it wouldn’t be possible if it wasn’t for these camps so thank you to everyone that attends and shares their advice and giggles and late after midnight chats I was even able to give a few tips to a noobie this time round so I was kinda feeling a little special oh boy this hobby is an addiction AND IM LOVING IT Ok I will shut up for now till we meet again cheers
IS IT MARCH YET

Click image for larger version

Name:	pleiades final [640x480].jpg
Views:	68
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	191919

Name:	m42final2 [640x480].jpg
Views:	67
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	191920

Name:	ngc253 final [50%].jpg
Views:	64
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	191921

Name:	horsey final [50%].jpg
Views:	68
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	191922

Name:	widefield [640x480].jpg
Views:	54
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	191923
Old 10-12-2015, 01:47 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

And where would we be without the music? I think I said to you on Saturday night. I don't think I had heard "Kitty" for 20 years!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:19 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
And where would we be without the music? I think I said to you on Saturday night. I don't think I had heard "Kitty" for 20 years!
Old 14-12-2015, 08:40 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Jen - amazing how far you have come with your hobby in a few short years. Those are very nice images!